PDA

View Full Version : difficult to back into carport

bugsytwoshoes
21-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I am having problems reversing my new boat (5m alum) down my narrow street, through a set of narrow gates, up a gravel slope ( loose stones) which the ute struggles for traction and into the carport. I have two options------get the gates widened and have the gravel driveway concreted or buy a cheap ( under $1000) quad bike to drag it up the slope ( not sure of the grade off the slope but not to steep) and I was wondering if anyone had done something like this before ,quad bike would be 125cc auto. Weight of boat and trailer about 650kg. Would the bike/gearbox handle this much weight????

Roughasguts
21-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Ride on lawn mower would do it better!!

Cheers.

govomg
21-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey Buggsy check this out http://www.parkit360.com/

Cheers Mark

Mick65
21-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Mark your stealing my thunder. My parkit360 arrives next week will let you know how it goes. Can also trial it with your boat as discussed

BLOOEY
21-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I know the feeling although mine isn't as bad as yours by the sounds. Up a steep slope with about 50mm clearance either side into the garage. Low range in the 4wd helped me not burn the clutch out to start with but you learn pretty quickly the right angles of attack when there is no other option. Ben

perko
21-05-2011, 01:23 PM
If you have a bullbar stick a towball up the front and push your trailer with your car. You will be amazed how much easier it is to get trailers into tight spots.

Chimo
21-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Fit a tow bar and ball to the front would also be my vote!

Cheers
Chimo

Triple
21-05-2011, 02:34 PM
http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=164370

Mr__Bean
21-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I have always used front towbars for tight situations.

Sooooooooooo much easier.

And they don't need to be super strong as you are never over walking pace.

What sort of ute? If it has a bolt on tow/recovery point on the front you are halfway there.

- Darren

frankgrimes
21-05-2011, 03:17 PM
How about a 24vlt winch bolted into carport? latch her on, and away you go(Unless the drive is not straight of course!)

Mick

jclay1773
21-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone point me in the direction of some info on the tow ball mounted to the bull bar. Been thinking of doing this once I get a boat as I’m also going to have a tight squeeze to get boat in. D22 steel bull bar if that helps.
Thanks for any help.

Jabiru658
21-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I think you'll need to either get a custom front bar made from tube with a welded on tow point of get your D22 steel bar modified.

I've got a D22 with an ARB steel bar and I suspect it would be easy enough to reinforce and mount a light tow bar mount to as long as you could mount it somewhere near the winch reinforcement area (and as long as your winch doesn't get in the way).

finga
21-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I reckon the key problem here is traction.
Fix the traction problem then the headaches would be over.
If the ute is having traction problems then I reckon a quad would have the same problems in gravel.
The ute would be heavier, and hence forth, would have more traction.

How about laying down a couple of concrete tracks if you don't want to do the full driveway??
Buy a tractor or an old Landrover and problem sovered :)

dreemon
21-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I had the same idea as you with the quadbike , the diff would be its running a solid axle with blocky tyres vs ute with lsd so unless the utes lsd works well the quad might get more traction but that vs wheel diameter too,

I had a 150cc quad and had ideas for it to do the towing but never made the towbar for it, you'd want to get one with the towbar on it and if it feels to much of a struggle for it then ride it around for awhile, have your fun on it then re-sell it, mine didn't get to be used as much as I wanted so I sold it for $ 550 ( cheap china) but it went really good .

there is a lsd additive to help the ute work better other than that all I can suggest is to add weight to the rear of the ute with buckets of water or sandbags to get more traction,

GO THE QUADBIKE ;D

dreemon
21-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I had the same idea as you with the quadbike , the diff would be its running a solid axle with blocky tyres vs ute with lsd so unless the utes lsd works well the quad might get more traction but that vs wheel diameter too,

I had a 150cc quad and had ideas for it to do the towing but never made the towbar for it, you'd want to get one with the towbar on it and if it feels to much of a struggle for it then ride it around for awhile, have your fun on it then re-sell it, mine didn't get to be used as much as I wanted so I sold it for $ 550 ( cheap china) but it went really good .

there is a lsd additive to help the ute work better other than that all I can suggest is to add weight to the rear of the ute with buckets of water or sandbags or full esky to get more traction,

GO THE QUADBIKE ;D

Jakers 69
21-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Also think the parkit360 might do the trick, make sure of the slope and maybe go for the wider tyers.
Auswheels in Perth do a likewise jockey wheel only a lot more expensive.

trueblue
21-05-2011, 08:33 PM
front tow bar would be my call

upstart
21-05-2011, 08:35 PM
A friend of mine has a steep driveway which is difficult to reverse up. He uses a winch which is bolted to the garage floor. It's one of those cheapies from Supercheap. Does it easy and you can steer the boat up as it goes.

Jakers 69
21-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I am also looking at the liftit360, make sure of your slope it will pull and push up to 3 ton.
Auswheels in WA also make a similar one

Jabiru658
21-05-2011, 08:46 PM
so unless the utes lsd works well the quad might get more traction but that vs wheel diameter too

The D22 4x4 rear LSD is one of the best working LSD's for off road work available, it's so good you find very few D22's fitted with rear lockers. This is assuming of course that the original poster has a 4x4 D22 and not a 4x2.

Jakers 69
21-05-2011, 08:48 PM
If you have space for storage for a 4x4 bike and the cost yes.

Angry
21-05-2011, 09:37 PM
A mate of mine went & bought an old 4x4 Quad traded in at the local bike dealer, in 4wd does it easy got it cheap cause the daeler trsaded it fomr a cockie & it had had a lot of work but he only uses it every 3/4 weaks keeps it in the corner of his shed.
Ride on Mowers mat not had a clutch or diff capable of taking that much strain.

I gotts back off the street, through a Rooller door inot the garage, out the other sdie through another roller door (both with only 2/3" to spare on each side ) up a rise, up yhe back yeard 40mtrs, on grass through another roller door into the shed
& the driveway isnt straight to get through the first roller door !!

Chuck a bag of sand in the back of the ute , my Pajero Diesel Auto does it easy .

Sheik
22-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I reckon the key problem here is traction.
Fix the traction problem then the headaches would be over.
If the ute is having traction problems then I reckon a quad would have the same problems in gravel.
The ute would be heavier, and hence forth, would have more traction.

How about laying down a couple of concrete tracks if you don't want to do the full driveway??
Buy a tractor or an old Landrover and problem sovered :)
I agree. We use four wheelers out west a lot and they're big suckers... 500cc fwd on demand polaris or honda or whatever adn I'd be surprised if they have enough grunt to get your boat somwhere your ute can't. But I might be wrong...
apparently that's happened before...

Roughasguts
22-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Mark your stealing my thunder. My parkit360 arrives next week will let you know how it goes. Can also trial it with your boat as discussed

How much landed an Aus for the Parkit 360 ???

Cheers.

honda900
22-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Mate,

what type of Gravel do have on the driveway? if its a bluemetal type of rock you can easily gain some traction by spreading a few bags of cement on to the driveway, and putting the hose on it.

This will bind the rocks together and give you traction, you may need a few bags, just use a shovel to spread it out over the rocks and a bit of water and let it dry.

worked for me in my first house..

Regards
Honda

bugsytwoshoes
22-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all those great suggestians guys. I think I will try the front mounted tow bar I have a Toyota Hi Lux aluminium trayback very light in the back so no traction. I will fit a nudge bar on the front of the Hi Lux ( Toyota want $490 for the nudge bar and $50 to fit it) I will put the tow ball on the nudge bar. I'll use a few more ausfishers ideas and put some bags of sand in the back and i'll put some bags of cement on the gravel as it is similar to blue metal. I like the look of the Parkit360 but I dont know how it would hold the boat on the gravel going down the slope out of the carport. The boat winch sounds good but it would be difficult to line the boat up square out in the street.--Thanks again guys.

oldboot
22-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Two things about the hilux.......if you don't usuaally have much stuff in the back.......a hundred KG or two will make a huge difference to the traction..AND the ride comfort.

Second tyre preasures.....lots of people drive hiluxes arround unloaded with too much tyre preasure......look in the book and run the unladen tyre perasures iff it is unladen.....bigg difference to traction and ride comfort.

Push comes to shove....drop your preasures to arround 20-25psi just for the push up the drive way.........then pump em back up before you forget.

I can tell you lowering your tyre preasures makes a huge difference to soft surface traction.

cheers

bugsytwoshoes
23-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Good idea Oldboot, I will only be taking the the boat out every six weeks or so and it will not be a hassle letting the pressure down. I drive around with nothing in the back most of the time and she's as bumpy and rough as hell.

Dignity
23-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Just a query but what effect does putting a tow ball on the front have with air bags. I had thought of it but if you hit the brakes there could be a significant amount of force on the front once the overriders kick in, is it enough to deploy the air bags or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Mr__Bean
23-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Should have no effect at all if you use the recovery / tow points that are bolted straight into strong points on the chassis.

Best that it is made to be easily removed, not sure it is legal to drive around with a front towbar protruding out beyond the vehicle.

Darren

oldboot
23-05-2011, 09:43 PM
It's important to understand that airbags are triggered by shock sensors mounted near the centre of the vehicle not by impact on the front bumper.

AND
Yes a front tow bar does present a hazardous protrusion and is a defect.

These days this could be solved by fitting a hitch reciever tube, and putting the front hitch in as required.

cheers

stue2
24-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Try the front tow. Your boat will be half way home before the rear wheels get off the good stuff.

Plus a bit of old carpet will also work.

Can't see how a 125cc quad will do anything but dig holes with only two drive wheels. I have a 4x4 quad and the difference is huge

tropicrows
24-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Coming in very late on this thread but there is an option 3.

Sell your house and buy one with a better driveway and access.

I have thought of doing this myself a few times while getting the boat out and then back in.

stue2
24-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Coming in very late on this thread but there is an option 3.

Sell your house and buy one with a better driveway and access.

I have thought of doing this myself a few times while getting the boat out and then back in.

That would be the most logical way. After all its hobby before house;D

oldboot
25-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Don't underestimate what the little machines can do.

with 2wd utes and cars the big issue is gearing, we are often trying to manover trailers using the clutch, because the gearing is far too high and we dont have th control with the clutch particularly with our body screwed arround a looking backward.
If you have a 4wd.....sticking it in low range is a huge advantage.

If the small machine in question has low gearing, you would be surprised what they will shift and the size of the engine and the amount of power realy is a not a big impediment.

I still have yet to test the limits of traction of my grotty old cox...I know I can easily pull half a trailer load of dirt up my dirt driveway with only a little more than idle (certainly not mowing revs)......some of these thinks like the cox have soft wide rear tyres, rigid rear axles with the wheels pretty close together and very low gear ratios.

the one thing to be concerned about however is the brakes.

cheers

tropicrows
25-05-2011, 11:29 AM
That would be the most logical way. After all its hobby before house;D

Wash your mouth out Stue...... fishing is not a hobby its an "obsession" ;D

stue2
25-05-2011, 11:35 AM
yes I will. Wife is going to help.

sowden1942
25-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi. I had a Toyota Prado that I fitted a front hayman reese towbar, this was fitted underneath to the chassis which left the receiver just under the front bumper bar and allowed the hitch when attached to extend out the front of the vehicle. This was great for tight place parking and also for akward launching as you could see exactly where you were going. You will find most 4x4 outlets will do this for you. Mine cost $500 fitted. John

stue2
25-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Don't underestimate what the little machines can do.

with 2wd utes and cars the big issue is gearing, we are often trying to manover trailers using the clutch, because the gearing is far too high and we dont have th control with the clutch particularly with our body screwed arround a looking backward.
If you have a 4wd.....sticking it in low range is a huge advantage.

If the small machine in question has low gearing, you would be surprised what they will shift and the size of the engine and the amount of power realy is a not a big impediment.

I still have yet to test the limits of traction of my grotty old cox...I know I can easily pull half a trailer load of dirt up my dirt driveway with only a little more than idle (certainly not mowing revs)......some of these thinks like the cox have soft wide rear tyres, rigid rear axles with the wheels pretty close together and very low gear ratios.

the one thing to be concerned about however is the brakes.

cheers

Not saying small machine wont pull the 650kg Just the loose stones and slope that don't add up for me.

cheers, Stu

Jakers 69
25-05-2011, 02:48 PM
$ PArkit 360 L $ 945
Wide tires $ 195
Shipping $ 360

Roughasguts
25-05-2011, 03:28 PM
$ PArkit 360 L $ 945
Wide tires $ 195
Shipping $ 360

Cool thanks plus battery 200.00

and Charger 100.00

Bout $1800.00 all up.

Cheers.

cormorant
25-05-2011, 03:42 PM
For that money you can buy a power barrow or similar 5.5hp honda on it.

Roughasguts
25-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Actually I'm thinking of spending a grand more than that. Far better unit though a lot smaller maybe slower. Got to think of space these days have 3 trailers tripple garage and not much room left for toys.

Cheers

stue2
25-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Cool thanks plus battery 200.00

and Charger 100.00

Bout $1800.00 all up.

Or this
www.navshack.com/Furuno-Navnet-3D-MFD8-p/mfd8.htm (http://www.navshack.com/Furuno-Navnet-3D-MFD8-p/mfd8.htm)

Roughasguts
25-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Hmmmm that Honda power barrow is cheaper than me self propelled Honda lawn mower with the same engine.

What gives there the Honda barrow is worth more by the looks of it.

Cheers.

cormorant
25-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Lots of different brands , muck truck , original honda one is more $ and different versions. Some have a towball adaptor as a accessory. At least you know you can load some weight on it to get traction and solid geared so offers braking effect. Some have adisc brake. Best I've seen is the old rotary hoes with big weighted wheels as they are really tough and slow or red roo hydraulic ones.

Some of them must hae copies of the hondas o them I think.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Rural-Machinery/Machinery/Earthmoving-Farm-Machinery/AdNumber=TP004534791?AdOnTop=

finga
26-05-2011, 07:18 AM
One thing I have been thinking about with the hitch on the front is the fact that if the boat goes on the front then there's weight taken of the driving wheels compounding the lack of traction problem....especially if 2 wheel drive.

Gees..for the cost of some of those alternatives your well on your way to get a little tractor.