PDA

View Full Version : Towing overwidth boat

bugman
20-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Gents,

I've just been through the process of working out the legal requirements for towing an overwidth boat (greater than 2.5m) in QLD and NSW.

After a fair bit of run around it seems its pretty simple in the end. If it's under 3m wide and under 4.5 tonne than it's quite possible with a vehicle that's capable of towing it.

No - it wont be the landy doing the towing but here are the links for those interested.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/d4cded58-69c3-4a03-bb2c-6b4ea925b237/pdf_class_permit_220_th_09.pdf

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/downloads/operating_conditions-oversize_overmass.pdf

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/downloads/permitnotices/general_class_1_special-purpose_vehicle_notice_2007_with_amend.pdf

The permit is a simply printed off the Internet and must be carried with you while your in the process of towing. There are some conditions like flags (both NSW and QLD), oversize sign (NSW) and restrictions on driving on certain roads at certain times (NSW and QLD) but in my instance it is certainly doable.

So now I need to get a trailer manufactured. Anyone having gone through the process, especially in the United States, please feel free to contact me as I love to hear some first hand experiences.

Brett

Mickol
20-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Brett,

I too am in the position of buying an overwidth boat from the USA and although I reside in Victoria I tow up to Northern NSW every year so that is helpfull.

Thanks for the info

Mick

cormorant
20-05-2011, 02:35 PM
You probably know but trailer still has to be under 2.5 m wide guard to guard. Ok with deper v but hard with cats wide to get a trailer that doesn't need a looooong drawbar as boats sits high.

I enquired about the NSW side of things 18 months ago and got a different answer. From memory it was 2.5m plus 10cm either side or something was max if not plant or in a semi style configuration as indicated in the documents.

I would be getting a specific letter regarding your specific rig as I have seen several different answers to this question in NSW and it does depend on the class of your tow vehicle. That letter should request you be notified if the law chages. Comes in under light trailer classes not heavy vehicle due to mass. The imported caravan and 5th wheelers have had isues in NSW. Things may have changed ( I don't know) but NSW is slow.

I got the run around as well and when I got to insurance I was stonewalled in NSW unless I was a heavy vehicle etc etc and the price - holy crap batman. Uninsured and big fines on overwidth is very nasty.

pilchardjones
20-05-2011, 03:31 PM
thanks Brett,
I have gone though the process in Qld and agree with your findings. All very easy.
I would give Justin Harris at Portsea Marine a call abt Peterson alloy trailers - 100% australian compliant. That what I and a lot of others have done. http://www.petersontrailers.com.au/index.html

steve

bugman
20-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Cormorant,

Funnily enough I'm looking at a cat - she sits at 2.58m wide. Trailer guys haven't mentioned too much hardship at making the trailer at or under 2.5m. Maybe I should ask a bit harder.

As for the tow vehicle I'm actually looking at buying a light truck for the business. It just so happens it will tow the boat quite nicely;D

Brett

Mick65
20-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Bugman, just imported a new Seaswirl Striper 2301WA from the states.The original Yatchclub trailer on the boat was 2600mm. Had a new trailer built to Aus spec's by EZLoader in the USA, must say they were very helpful and less than half price than to have the trailer manufactured in Australia. There was a few hoops to jump through to have the trailer registered in NSW but nothing too major

cormorant
20-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Maths is pretty simple 185mm for a tyre eaither side and 30mm clearance off 2500 and find that point along the bottom of the hull and you have the lowest possible point it can sit.

Some usa cats are dead set square verticle sides and depending on if it is symetrical or assymetrical hull will determin if it can sit lower of if you need to go triaxle on weight and silly little tyres as they have a lower capacity. - yuck but I used to do it.

Duratorque drop axel style suspension with limited suspension travel and compact design may help.

I got contradictory story from NSW RTA technical guys as they were also confused between heavy vehicle rules and light trailer rules. From memory Light trailer was no exemption over 2500mm but then one bloke found something to do with boat trailer. Was warned that even bearing buddies outside the 2500 will get you fined. I never got it in writing but I'll look at old emails and see if the PDF is the same - it doesn't look it.

Be warned that in NSW if you go the heavy or articulated vehicle you end up in the checking stations etc etc Best avoided unless you have to. Stupid that rules change at a border on a national road. Tweed police know the rules all too well.

I thought I was doing Ok but they kept referring to documents that wern't specific and wouldn't formally write down that my boat would be legal just with flags in NSW ( I was 30mm over due to coaming rubber )

Be aware of heights as well . With radar, rod rack on top and full 6 foot six cabin it starts to get very tall if it sits high on the trailer let alone wind resistance and how well it tows. I don't know how we got away without smashing our screen on tre branches near edges of roads. High trailers on cats mean scraped props on ramps when driving on at shallow ramps

Get a drawbar extension , trailer drawbar extra strong as well and a truck style jack instead of usless jockey wheel. We went through heavy duty jockey wheel annually .

edit

The RTA couldn't confirm that any exemption given would be grandfathered as all states have signed up to standardise all road laws between states ( that was supposed to be finished 5 years ago and then 2 years ago - ha ha - politicians:o.) I hope that people buying oversize stuff understand that they may be stranded high and dry by a rule change. Honestly much over 2.5 on a standard road gets very tight and other motorists have no idea and love driving the white line. Flags don't wake em up. I am still surprised that they are allowing it as a grey nomad in a overwidth van will be a nightmare let alone 2 in opposite directions. 99% of people don't have the skill or common sense and considering the extra training semi drivers do it doesn't make sense to me.

From memory the QLD exemption was a trial?? or is it permanently in the rules?

Take advantage while you can

Ausfish
20-05-2011, 11:53 PM
PM me the specs and will get you a price on an aluminum trailer. Just so happens that i just had dinner with an importer and had a bit of a chat about these trailers. Am pretty sure I could get you one at the right price, landed in Brisbane.

There is a nice new one sitting under the 2670 Glacier Bay that I am helping them out with selling a few of at the boat show.

Give me a yell if you are coming down to the show.

O-3
21-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Maybe I should ask a bit harder

Look elsewhere , plenty of guys over there that will build a trailer to suit.