PDA

View Full Version : Navigational/fishing maps

xjonox
19-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know of a website i could use to download a few maps?
or even a site that has a good map of victorian waters?
:-?

Kero
20-05-2011, 09:35 AM
If you are looking to save money, then you can download Navionics (all of Aus) to your smart phone for $12.

Noelm
20-05-2011, 09:38 AM
lots of places have "maps" but it depends on what you want the map for, navigation does not use a map, it uses "charts" totally different to maps, fishing may require a chart that has been reproduced in some way to include some fishing locations (maybe) or might even be a hand drawn setup, let us know exactly what you are after, proper charts cover quite an area and are not all that expensive, but they are quite large.

oldboot
20-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Its worth buying the full sized proper paper navigational charts, there is often more detail on them than the other sources...detail that will indicate fishable structure.

There are some Fishing magasine type publications ( like the hooked on product) that show fishing locations and mooring grounds with aerial photos... these can be worth what you will pat at the local news agent.

cheers

xjonox
30-05-2011, 11:12 AM
cheers for the advice,,,ya i might check out a chart.
Just another thing to try to get my head around.
the learning curves just keep comin! :D

oldboot
30-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Serioulsy mate.... cant read a chart = shouldn't be driving a boat.....sorry but it is that simple.

Learning to read a chart and use a compas should be your single most important priority.......at least at a basic level.

cheers

xjonox
31-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Serioulsy mate.... cant read a chart = shouldn't be driving a boat.....sorry but it is that simple.

Learning to read a chart and use a compas should be your single most important priority.......at least at a basic level.

cheers
i appreciate the hard line approach old boot, lol
ive only been taking a tinnie out in westernport/ port phillip. (never more than 10 or so km's out.)for years and never needed anything more than a fishing map with some gps marks.
Recently up sized my rig .....
Learning to use a navigational map or chart is obviously one of my priorities (Hence this thread)

Relaxedcamper
31-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Not much help to the thread but a question about the same.

Are there any maps that are available for my Lowrance plotter for the Murray river or other river systems such as the Goulburn.

Cheers.

oldboot
31-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Where i mostly go if you havn't looked at a chart, you could find yourself beached 5 minutes off the ramp if you arent carefull.
Any way... learning to read and having some good charts will open up good fishing opportunities..and often closer than you think.

As for rivers...I realy do not know what is available in the south..but up here the detail in the rivers beyond the major port limits will be sparse..and they generaly only survey where commercial or high volume recreational boating is expected........most rivers and creeks simply have no depth contours or soundings.

If you are fishing inland in dams.........the thing to look for are old maps of the area of the dam before it was flooded........they are just gold.

cheers