PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Which Boat???????

rippedoffb4
16-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Been following this for a while folks but this is my first post. I have many questions but will start small. I hope you can help point me in the right direction.

I live in Melbourne but am moving to Darwin (lucky me) with work. I currently don't have a boat but am going to get one. I want some advice from you wise fisher folk. I have two school age children who will occasionally be with me in the boat. I am hoping not to have to spend more than $15K ish.

What is safest?
Best value for money?
Able to fish the harbour and rivers?
Easy to launch/retrieve on my own etc?
How big is too big to manage (I'm talking about a boat here) on your own?

I have done plenty of homework thus far but have basically concluded nothing apart from it's got to be aluminium/plate etc rather than glass.

Plenty more questions to come.

Cheers

GBC
17-05-2011, 04:04 PM
It's a weird price bracket to look at, but I personally would be looking at a quintrex 4.2 millenium dory or a poly 4.2 or something like an ocean craft spearo rig if you want better sea worthniness.
Simple rigs that you'll damn near put on the water brand new for the money you're looking at.

Jarrah Jack
17-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Something for fishing around Darwin then not Melbourne, totally different beasts. Firstly something with a 4 stroke as you'll end up doing lots of K's on the rivers hunting Barra. Etec's are not popular in Darwin. There are a lot of zuks and other 4 strokes.

Popular around Darwin are side / center consoles for good all round access. A mate in Darwin just sold his stacer 4.8 with a 60 4 stroke that would've suited those requirements. He got around 17k for it fully tricked up. A live bait tank is very handy up there. A 4.8 is big enough for off shore trips and you can also chuck in a few swags and sleep on them overnight which a lot do there.

Make sure your trailer is a good one as it will get a very hard workout on the things they call roads around there.

Definitely an alloy not glass.
http://fishingterritory.com/fishing-classified-ads-private-only-f2/for-sale-4-5-bluefin-warrior-t25296.html Thats a fairly typical Darwin boat.

rippedoffb4
17-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Something for fishing around Darwin then not Melbourne, totally different beasts. Firstly something with a 4 stroke as you'll end up doing lots of K's on the rivers hunting Barra. Etec's are not popular in Darwin. There are a lot of zuks and other 4 strokes.

Popular around Darwin are side / center consoles for good all round access. A mate in Darwin just sold his stacer 4.8 with a 60 4 stroke that would've suited those requirements. He got around 17k for it fully tricked up. A live bait tank is very handy up there. A 4.8 is big enough for off shore trips and you can also chuck in a few swags and sleep on them overnight which a lot do there.

Make sure your trailer is a good one as it will get a very hard workout on the things they call roads around there.

Definitely an alloy not glass.
http://fishingterritory.com/fishing-classified-ads-private-only-f2/for-sale-4-5-bluefin-warrior-t25296.html Thats a fairly typical Darwin boat.

**************************Great thanks for your help. Much appreciated. What things can I look at to make my trailer as user friendly as possible so I spend less time as possible at the ramp? Oh and I do intend to practice the retrieve etc but still want to make things as simple as possible?

rippedoffb4
17-05-2011, 08:15 PM
It's a weird price bracket to look at, but I personally would be looking at a quintrex 4.2 millenium dory or a poly 4.2 or something like an ocean craft spearo rig if you want better sea worthniness.
Simple rigs that you'll damn near put on the water brand new for the money you're looking at.

******************Great thanks. I've been thinking I must have agood look at the poly.

Squidlet
17-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Gday rippedoff!
Mate a good size for up here would be around the 5m mark good allround size can do both blue water and harbour,a good size donk is very handy as you will do a lot of Km pending on how adventures you are,possibly the most used outfit is the side console plenty of deckspace and good for flicking and trolling.
Their are 2 suzuki dealers up here so no dramas with servicing and both are good from what i know,as stated before if you can go tha 4stroke!get ya boat down south things up here you will pay more for,as for your trailor yeah make sure its in good condition as you will be doing some good sized km trips and some spots will require you to travel on dirt and they can be shit!!!
All in all its pretty good up here enjoy you search and enjoy darwin!
Cheers Squid.

rippedoffb4
17-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Cheers and thanks Squidlet.

I'm a bit like a kid in a lolly shop. So much to choose from but not sure which one I want most. !!

Interesting, but people keep telling me to get it before I get up there but it's going to cost me maybe $1200-1500 to move? Still reckon it'll work out cheaper mate?

Squidlet
17-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Its a little hard to say,but i think i would say yes you will probably find that you will deff get a better price also you will get a trailor that hasnt had the shit floged out of it not saying that people dont look after their gear they have just had a harder life.
Quintrex topender are very popular boat here side console,but theirs plenty to choose from,make sure if you can get a boat with a bimmney cover,you can do it later of course but the shade comes in handy especially if the jids are taging along!
Cheers Squid.

rippedoffb4
17-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks mate. Good fishing to you.

Jarrah Jack
17-05-2011, 09:33 PM
**************************Great thanks for your help. Much appreciated. What things can I look at to make my trailer as user friendly as possible so I spend less time as possible at the ramp? Oh and I do intend to practice the retrieve etc but still want to make things as simple as possible?

You really just need to make driving on easy so its a matter of setting up skids and guides so that if you miss center its no big deal. Its worth spending time looking at other trailers at a ramp but it all depends on the setup on whatever you buy. Then its just a matter of practice and confidence. A walk way on the trailer can help as well.

One thing I've found that doing long distances on the rivers up there with a tiller steer is that it can get very fatiguing especially with a bigger boat like the 4.5 my mate has.

Captain Incredible
17-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Brooker SAFARI 5M tiller steer. I have one in survey and it is great. I drive it on. Check out the CUNNINGHAMS MARINE web site for more info. Mine has a 60 hp Yammie 4 stroke outboard.

A really big little boat (2.2 metre beam) without some of the handling issues of 4.3- 4.5 metre boats such as hobby horsing and sensitivity to fore and aft trim.