PDA

View Full Version : Casting platform in tinny like in bream boats

fishinwahbee
16-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi all,
I have recently posted a post on this topic and recieved some really great information. Since than i have installed the deck which is 12mm ply with aluminum angle, ended weighing not to much. I thought it would be to much work for 5mm ply with all bracing ect so i used 12mm. The only thing im not sure with is the carpet. Im planning to buy some blue carpet from bunnigs. With my old deck, i really did not like the carpet job. In this boat with the cost and effort i would like to make it perfect. Like those in bream boats, rapped around doors and edges. What glue to use and how to rap it. when i try to rap it, it seems to difficult and i cant see anyway of making the carpet tight enough on top and to stay why the glue dries. Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks fishinwahbee

Never to young to be a pro13yo!

jighead
18-05-2011, 04:46 PM
G"day Fishinwahbee
Go to a hardware store and purchase a contact cement suitable for gluing carpet (get the best you can afford) glue the flat areas down first making sure there are no creases turn your deck over and place some heavy weighted objects on it to ensure even contact and wait till it cures then glue and fold one edge at a time I used spring clamps you can buy these fairly cheap ($5_$10 a set at bunnings) and two strips of wood the same length as the longest fold one on top the other on the bottom and clamp them down and wait till the glue cures then move onto the next fold make sure to trim off any excess carpet before moving onto the next fold worked for me

Cheers Mal

tunaticer
18-05-2011, 07:30 PM
The trick with contact cement is to apply it to both surfaces evenly then allow the glue to tack dry before firmly pressing the two sections together. The bond will be almost instant and strong.
There are dozens of breeds of contact cement on the market, so when looking you need to read the fine print about wet areas or moisture. Not all of them are well suited to water, even some of the most expensive brands are not good for marine use.
Pre-cut your carpet so it will fold around the edges of the ply nicely and mitre the underside wrap around so there is only one layer of carpet between the ply and the substructure. Double thicknesses will give the ply a warp very quickly and the flooring will not sit flat and even. Generally I glue the top side of the ply to the carpet then put it aside to dry. Once dry I then do the wraps and mitres on all edges and corners before gluing the wraps down.

FishHunter
18-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Rapping the edges wont do anything except damage your carpet. I would rather wrap the carpet over the edges.

fishinwahbee
19-05-2011, 08:02 AM
thanks heaps guys great info

fishinwahbee

fishinwahbee
19-05-2011, 04:35 PM
just wondering dose anyone know which outdoor/marine carpet to use. Where would be the cheapest place to purches the carpet. With the contact is it best to use a spray gun. thanks again for the useful posts.

Fishinwahbee

Never to young to be a pro13yo!