PDA

View Full Version : Life jackets look abit mouldy

lifestyle
16-05-2011, 02:34 PM
I purchased a PFD type 1 in november 2008 for my son. It is always kept and stored in a nice and dry place hanging in the shed. It is in perfect condition except it seems to have black mouldy marks on it in some places .How do you clean these of? And is the jacket still legal if it just has a bit of black spots form mould on it? Thanks

Micadogs
16-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Bleach is usually the best way to get rid of mould. I am uncertain as to what belach will do to the fabric though. Another thing that kills mould is UV, you could try leaving it out in the sun for a day or two, then just use a mild detergent in warm sopay water to rinse off the dead spores. I would try this in the first instance.

Life jacket should still be legal with mould spots.

CT
16-05-2011, 03:45 PM
An auto trimmer posted on here once about using softly fabric softener to get mould of canopies. Apparently it doesn't rot the stitching like bleaches. I used it on my canopy with a scrubbing brush and it came up 100%. Might be worth a shot.

Cheers
Craig

lifestyle
20-05-2011, 02:47 PM
So far i have soaked in nappy san , and scrubbed , sprayed with shower power and scrubbed, scrubbed with dynamo and still bloody mould is still on life jacket. Although it did remove a small amount.. Next effort going to rip out the gurnie and give the jacket one good blast.. If this fails i am off shopping..

timddo
20-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I just spray exit mould and wait 10 minutes. Looks brand new then

Argle
20-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Yep second the exit mould - gave ours a tidy up earlier this year - spray leave for 5-10 then rinse. Good as new!

Cheers
Scott

Feral
20-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Exit mould? Good tip fella's.

I reckon they deliberately make PFD's out of the most mould loving material they can find.

lifestyle
20-05-2011, 04:43 PM
just gave them a hit of bleach and water mix . only a little bit of bleach in the water and they came up quite good . All done in the shower so the wife couldnt winge about it.

Gon Fishun
20-05-2011, 10:16 PM
To use oil of cloves as a mold remover:
Add half a teaspoon of oil of cloves to 1 litre of water - no more than that.

Put it into a spray bottle, spray the surface and leave for 20 minutes.
Wipe the surface clean, then re-spray and leave it.
It will take between 24 to 48 hours for the mould spores to die and drop off.;D
And while on about cloves.
Half and half Captain Morgan and cloves cordial . YUUUUMMM;D