PDA

View Full Version : deck wash pumps

Captain Seaweed
16-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Hello Fellas,
Can someone recommend a good deckwash pump. I have had 3 Johnson pumps with built in cut off switch fail over the years and wanted to try something different, maybe Jabsco? I also find the Johnson pumps corrode within 12 months on the exterior and look like crap once this starts. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Marty

lucee81
16-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Captain Seaweed

i have the Jabsco on my boat and have found this a very good pump we also use them on the trucks at work with no fails.. although i must say using a garden nozzle works better than the black one supplied.

cheers
Lucas

Captain Seaweed
16-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks Lucas

GBC
16-05-2011, 11:36 AM
johnson, jabsco, shurflow - I've killed them all........
Try a proper marine chandler's for a commercial bronze body impellor jabsco - just a whole lot more $$ than the cheapies.

Noelm
16-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I was in my local boat shop on Saturday morning and I saw a Jabsco in a ratty box on their "bargain" table, must be old stock or found under a counter or something, I will check the price and see what sort it is, might be a real bargain and be worth buying and posting up to you if it is, I will be going past again tomorrow morning to pick up my stuff, mind you, might maybe a crap one as well, I never really looked at it, just remember it sitting there.

MyWay
16-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I always had shurflow
what i do : I use garden hose in pickup and flush the pump after every use of boat
they last few years

myway

Lucky_Phill
16-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I always had shurflow
what i do : I use garden hose in pickup and flush the pump after every use of boat
they last few years

myway

Good call to flush the pump after use. I never thought about it. cheers.

IMO............ stay away from Johnson. Been through too many live / bilge pumps to mention. Got a Rule now..... all good.

Call me Marty......... I 'll pop around for a debrief on the Masthead trip ;D

LP>

Lovey80
16-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Just installed a Jabsco on the KC. The Johnson was stuffed. No more Johnsons for me. If the Jabsco doesnt make the grade will look at higher end ones down the track. At 230bucks it better last at least 2 years. Will fresh flush this one. When I do the motors each trip and see if this helps.

John Buoy
16-05-2011, 05:24 PM
There all the bloody same been thru 3 jabsco in 3 years the little pressure switch
iside em get stuck on or cark it but they can be bought from dick smith for a few bucks.
Flushing em out does help a little, i just use a short length of hose that will fit over my pick up and a hose coupling on the other end!!

Regards frank

Captain Seaweed
16-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Fellas I always flush ALL my pumps and check my Bilge about once a month. I opened up my existing pump and found the micro switch had shit itself and there weas water ingress behind switch at the terminals. This is the 3rd pump that has done the same. ALL my pumps corroded from 6 months around the exterior. They simply do not live up to the job. Maybe in a freshwater situation? Not sure.
Ever since the first 2 died I religiously shove the hose up the inlets as I though I was the problem but it seems not. I cant believe they are so poor.
Still not sure what to do as I dont want to fix it every 12 months or so.
Cheers
Marty