PDA

View Full Version : Green flares east of Moreton Sat night?

Tunzafun
15-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Whist out at Hutchinson's Reef on Sat night we sighted two green flares fired into the air at around 2130-2200. Listened on the radio and Mooloolabah CG reported that water police had also had reports of green flares of Moolooabah. Were they the same flares and the location depends on how you were oriented?

There were boats between us and the area where the flares came from; still we kept a vigil on the area but no further action. Anybody have any ideas? Was anybody at Tempest who saw something?

A red flare would have brought an immediate response from me.... but green?

captain rednut
17-05-2011, 09:29 PM
sounds strange would like to know what it was. i saw something light up similar colours out there one nite but it was very high in the sky, someone mentioned a star explosion scernario in the universe??? who knows but it was very bright and caught our attention. the coast gaurd had several calls about it.
cheers cr

TheRealAndy
17-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Dont the military use green flares? I have seen green and white over the training area at tin can bay before.

Benny1
18-05-2011, 09:06 AM
We were out off the cape on Saturday morning. Heading out in the dark from Bribie when we got to the top of Morton there were a lot of shooting stars in the sky. We were drifting the shallows. We picked up 4 snapper and 2 parrot conditions weren't pretty. Had a bit of a bumpy ride home. Still good to be on the water, it was a pretty red sunrise.

Tunzafun
18-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Guys these were definately flares and only about 5kms from us. No shooting stars. Might have a chat with the Water Police tomorrow.

Ross

TheRealAndy
18-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I reckon you will find it was military training. Not sure what they use the green ones for. I assume they were rocket flares?

Camp up at kauri creek when they are doing training and you get an excellent light show from them. The white rocket flares light up the area pretty well.

peterbo3
18-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Just east of Hutchies is a designated Military training area. It is marked on the charts. Mainly used by submarines so they could have been doing some type of exercise with canoes or RIBs. There is no requirement for the Military to advertise that training will be going on just prior to it happening.
There is an ad in the Courier & Australian every six months from memory which advises that activities may occur at any time.

Tunzafun
18-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Peterbo, I reckon you could be right as they are doing the build up for Talisman Sabre.