PDA

View Full Version : If you were selling your Boat

aussiefool
15-05-2011, 09:36 AM
As the title says if you were planning to sell your boat and were in the process of doing it up, would you remove all traces of the boat's name or would you leave it on for the new owner?

Looking forward to your replies and input.

Aussiefool

Chimo
15-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi AF

I guess IMHO it would depend on whether you were going to use the name ie AF III on the next boat or not.

People I sold my last boat took the name I had given it off; had no meaning for them.

Cheers
Chimo

aussiefool
15-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi AF

I guess IMHO it would depend on whether you were going to use the name ie AF III on the next boat or not.

Cheers
Chimo

No the next one if there will be a next will not be called Aussiefool III as I feel that the same name on a boat is bad luck AF4 maybe

Swanie1975
15-05-2011, 10:47 AM
hey AF,

i reckon if you are already cleaning it up for sale you might as well remove all traces and leave potential new owners a blank canvas - part of the new boat (new to them anyway!) ;D excitement is coming up with a name especially if its a family thing. good luck selling and avoid the dodgy scammers, they seem to be eveywhere at the mo!>:(

cheers ryan

barney11
15-05-2011, 11:10 AM
lol at naming boats. ( unless they are massive )

finga
16-05-2011, 06:30 AM
lol at naming boats. ( unless they are massive )
Why not??

It's so easy to refer the tiny tinny as 'Junior' and everyone one knows it as 'Junior' and it's easier to say, rather then my rego numbers, over the radio when I log on (as they already have my log on details) and the same for the big boat (Tanoa) and the same for the old boat (Idle Hours) and the same for the plastic boat (Donald).
And as for Aussie Fool 1-3 we know who's boats they were.

As for removing the name Andrew....Are they still in good nick?? If so leave them on as there may be discolouration under them (actually the rest of the hull may have discoloured slightly over time) and if the new owners want a new name then they can have a renaming ceremony.
You don't want to contend with any discolouration problems. They're a pain in the butt. :-?

barney11
16-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Why not??

It's so easy to refer the tiny tinny as 'Junior' and everyone one knows it as 'Junior' and it's easier to say, rather then my rego numbers, over the radio when I log on (as they already have my log on details) and the same for the big boat (Tanoa) and the same for the old boat (Idle Hours) and the same for the plastic boat (Donald).
And as for Aussie Fool 1-3 we know who's boats they were.

As for removing the name Andrew....Are they still in good nick?? If so leave them on as there may be discolouration under them (actually the rest of the hull may have discoloured slightly over time) and if the new owners want a new name then they can have a renaming ceremony.
You don't want to contend with any discolouration problems. They're a pain in the butt. :-?

why dont people name there cars then ?

finga
16-05-2011, 07:56 AM
why dont people name there cars then ?
I do. I had Wally and now drive Mrs Palmer.
And there's The Kingswood, Bettie Beetle, Dessy Daimler, Cedric the Commerand Tessie Tonner sitting in the shed.

So why not name your boat??
So from what size boat are you allowed to name them??

barney11
16-05-2011, 08:00 AM
lol, name what ever ya want, gives us something to laugh about out on the water.

finga
16-05-2011, 08:12 AM
So why not name them??
What's wrong with naming a boat??

barney11
16-05-2011, 08:18 AM
LOL, there is nothing wrong with it, much like there is nothing "wrong" with 60 year old men just wearing speedos at the beach.

finga
16-05-2011, 08:25 AM
So why do they bother with brand names or model names or why do we bother naming kids when it comes to that??
What size boat is it acceptable to name??

Jabiru658
16-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I'd much rather be a name than a number... numbers are boring.

As for the 60 year old guy in speedos, if he's fit enough to wear speedos at that age and pick up 50 year old women then all I can say is I hope to be doing that at his age :)

spelchek
16-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Sounds like barney prefers fit, young guys in speedos.

NTTAWWT.

finga
16-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Some people probably find something 'wrong' with Elle or Jen Hawkins in speedo's as well.
I don't :D

Noelm
16-05-2011, 10:17 AM
so let me think for a minute, an over weight 60 year old guy in speedos or Jennifer Hawkins in speedos, what would I prefer, DEERRRRR

Noelm
16-05-2011, 10:20 AM
got a bit off topic here hey? If I was buying a boat, i would want it all nice and original if I could, so that being said, remove any unnessary stickers and names, clean the boat properly and make sure everything that is fitted works and regos are current and ask for a good price.

aussiefool
16-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Yes Finger they are still in great nic. Might have to look at the spare ones I have and just remove part of the name and see how it goes.

I do. I had Wally and now drive Mrs Palmer.
And there's The Kingswood, Bettie Beetle, Dessy Daimler, Cedric the Commerand Tessie Tonner sitting in the shed.

So why not name your boat??
So from what size boat are you allowed to name them??

I have had I name/nic name for my cars for years some just made up for the number plate letters to a name that just suits it.

got a bit off topic here hey? If I was buying a boat, i would want it all nice and original if I could, so that being said, remove any unnessary stickers and names, clean the boat properly and make sure everything that is fitted works and regos are current and ask for a good price.

As I have said above I might just remove part of the name and go from there. As for a good price .... well there will always be a difference between what I want for her and what I can get. I have around 5k in mind at the moment with a new elite x colour sounder 2 x inflatable life-jackets, GPS, eprib and a few other bibs and bobs. All in Rego.