PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Shortage

indy
15-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Well havn't been able to get out to fish for snapper and pearlies since the closure so we planned a trip for saturday morning keeping a close eye on the weather which seem to look pretty ordinary but was ever so keen so we said stuff it but we where prepared for a bit of a beating.

We got to mooloolaba ramp at around 3.00am and headed east out to a mark that i havn't fished for a while, seas where not to bad sitting on 40k's out for about half of the trip and down to about 35 for the rest.

First drop sore us getting pearlies in the dark until the sun come up and then they disappered with a good feed of them we decided to start float baiting as there was hardly any current and we where instantly on we had snapper hitting the esky and within no time had our bag and then decided to move as mr and mrs dolfin and the nasty ten foot hammer head where snacking on anything that got thrown back.

Moved to another spot i havn't fished in years and picked up a few parrot and just seemed to be more snapper. So by about 12.30 we decided to pack up shop and head back in while the weather had sub sided a bit sitting on 35 k's on the way home.

As for a snapper shortage well i beg to differ i would say we would have thrown back at least 30 and we stopped float baiting for them as we didn't want to catch them any more and the dolfins would have kept slaying them but anyway here is a few pics, should be a great season

Ohh i forgot to mention to the inconciderate wank in the haines the white one with your misses on board if you could have got a bit closer you could have tied up to the back of us, its a big ocean out there and i wasn't fishing the only piece of ground out there so piss of and try something different instead of drifting pass us all morning.

cheers pete...

backlash08
15-05-2011, 08:35 AM
thx for the report, nice work

skipalong
15-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Good catch out of your little ride pete, would have been squishy in the 3.5m tinny with 3 guys lol.

Vitamin Sea
15-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Good stuff Pete, some nice fish there

Cheers

nigelr
15-05-2011, 09:05 AM
That's an awesome session but I don't envy you having to clean them all!
Cheers!

Bull
15-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the report Pete.

Very nice bag of fish.
Skipalong stacer tinnies are a magic offshore rig lol

Thanks
Bull

TREVELLY
15-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Sorry about that Pete - I kept the haines nice and close to the 3m skip-a-long just in case you needed rescuing ;D

Nice catch boys.

Yes there are some nice snaps out there at the moment - heres to a great winter season with them.

wags on the water
15-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice work Pete. Good to see someone else catching sharks too. There were off moreton too chewing their heads off.

Cheers

jeffo
15-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Did one of the parrot get chewed on? Looks like one has a bite mark around the anal fin?

I had some bloke "Blow Fly" me on Friday arvo too....not just once, he came back past for another look at what i was fishing about an hour after his first pass!

DRAGMAN
15-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh I dream for snapper seasons like that. I have had a red throat session like that but not snapper. Well done!

indy
15-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Skipalong she's only three metres its a challenge in her thats for sure.

Jeffo yeah the dolphin grabbed hold of it and had a tug of war with blandy for about 5 seconds i think he was lucky to get it thats for sure.

Dragman get up early before the sun comes up burley up and use as little sinker as you can to slowly get down, us a rig with hook on the bottom sinker sitting between hook and swivel and about a metre to a metre and a half of trace this is the go for snapper.

skipalong
15-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Skipalong she's only three metres its a challenge in her thats for sure.

Jeffo yeah the dolphin grabbed hold of it and had a tug of war with blandy for about 5 seconds i think he was lucky to get it thats for sure.

Dragman get up early before the sun comes up burley up and use as little sinker as you can to slowly get down, us a rig with hook on the bottom sinker sitting between hook and swivel and about a metre to a metre and a half of trace this is the go for snapper.

the dolphins are keen out there atm, when we were out last wednesday when that storm blew through, right before it we were actually hand feeding 1 dolphin in particular, and touching its nose, so they are not feared by boats in any way ! i guess they just folled up the berley and came for a look,must have been local tanga dolphins though.

jeffo
15-05-2011, 06:41 PM
the dolphin you guys are talking about doesnt have the big white saddle on her back? There is a couple of real friendly ones out here that sit beside us on the 8 and 10 mile all summer long when we are live baiting. I have seen "molly" in around the blinker at times too doing the same thing.

skipalong
15-05-2011, 06:49 PM
the dolphin you guys are talking about doesnt have the big white saddle on her back? There is a couple of real friendly ones out here that sit beside us on the 8 and 10 mile all summer long when we are live baiting. I have seen "molly" in around the blinker at times too doing the same thing.

not sure jeff, it was gettin dark, there was another but it wasnt as friendly.

indy
15-05-2011, 07:29 PM
One of them had like a fungus or something growing around its blow hole, lumpy looking stuff you would no what i am talking about if its the same one, and the other just looked like a normal dolfin but they where actually both really big buggers, oh there was a third towards the end of the trip

outwide1
15-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Good to see you getting amongst some pete and that you braved what looked like crap weather.
Welldone!
Cheers Mick

Jigsrule
15-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Nice haul there mate. Keep up the good work

barney11
15-05-2011, 08:04 PM
should send that photo into 60mins.

murf
15-05-2011, 08:23 PM
excellent catch :) had a great catch myself on friday morn :)

so it looks like the 6 week ban worked wonders for the fish stocks then :-* :P ::)

cheers Murf

Pistol_P
15-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Agree totally indy,

We had our first snapper run last Friday and got some nice fish.
I wouldnt mind betting this year Snapper will be everywhere with this early cold weather.

Nice catch by the way.8-)

Pete

TheRealAndy
16-05-2011, 07:01 AM
As they say, a drought on land is a drought at see. Infofish shows these trends really nicely. I dare say that next year may even be better than this year.

twochances
16-05-2011, 08:08 AM
great hall indy me personally i had great day good bunch of blokes lots of laughs cold beer blue water doesn t get any better oh yes it does PEERL PERCH SANGERS for tea SENSATIONAL thanks pete

ozassassin
16-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Great effort there guys.

Jerk n Wined
19-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I hate those guys who do that. No consideration or respect . I had a guy fishing off Fitzroy reef 3 weeks ago a boat headed directly for me, done a full 360 around my boat within 15m then kill the engines about 10m. I started up and moved about 15m more away from him to give us some space ........... and you would not have guessed it - he started his boat and shifted 15m across. What a DI#K. Boats name is MOTHERS WAY. I surly had a few words to say. I have never seen it that bad.

If people pay some respect and keep a little distance and keep quite there is no problem at all. Lets all fish.

vertico
19-05-2011, 08:43 PM
indy, did you try those hooks out ?
sean

indy
19-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah sean they hook in good and hard, buggers to get out which is a good thing ill order some of you soon, i didn't get a good chance to try them for bottom bashing but i used them on a 3 hook snood whilst we where float baiting and they worked a treat.

cheer pete

vertico
19-05-2011, 09:40 PM
sweet mate good to hear

-spiro-
21-05-2011, 07:28 PM
nice catch Pete...good to some fish are around

Jurkyjj
28-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Great catch there Pete.
good to see things are starting to look up out wide!
Well done.

Jason.