PDA

View Full Version : How close to the centreline can you mount a transducer

thylacene
14-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Still getting things sorted in my head before ordering trim tabs.

The recommended spot to mount trim tabs is 3"-4" from the chines.

The photo below shows the current location of the transducer
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_9b5Wi6YRXx4/TUj21byXZYI/AAAAAAAAANA/Oi4QFvPzUsw/s640/2011-02-02%2017.09.30.jpg

Which means that it will be in the way when trying to fit tabs.

How close to the centre line of the keel can I mount a transducer and still have it operate effectively?

Thanks

Thy

peterbo3
14-05-2011, 08:10 PM
One of mine is ON the centreline.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2777Small.jpg

;D;D

FisHard
14-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Another vote for the centreline. My Lowrance transducer sites on the centreline and works just fine. Cheers

Captain Incredible
14-05-2011, 10:32 PM
In is good, outboard is bad. What about putting a daub of silicone and placing your transducer inside and shooting through the hull???????????

thylacene
15-05-2011, 09:35 AM
In is good, outboard is bad. What about putting a daub of silicone and placing your transducer inside and shooting through the hull???????????

OK, you have me thinking, but would that not involve the acquisition of a new "thru hull" transducer?

Or can I use the existing one?

It is outboard, and there is very little space without cutting floors to try and mount in the bilge.

Cheers

Thy

Captain Incredible
15-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Friends have had success by using a good blob of silicone (no air bubbles in the blob) and sticking the transom transducer straight onto the internal fibreglass.

It certainly reduces clutter at the transom if you have room inside your boat and you don't have to drill more holes in your hull to find out.

Cheers,

Keith

peterbo3
15-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Thy, my 600W ducer is mounted on the centre line due to known aeration problems with the Fisher hull. It was going to be updated to a different 1kw model but I ended up getting a TM260 1kw which I use in the deep at lower speeds.
If you have enough clearance between the front of the gearbox & the transom you could get a tab glassed on & fit a "through hull" ducer such as a zero degree offset B164 if you ned a 1Kw machine. Otherwise a 600W like mine will be fine depending on the location of planing strakes or through hull fittings. I have the same Zuke 175 & there is no engine interference plus I get great bottom pics up to 25KN with bottom trace & depth up to early 30s.