PDA

View Full Version : 150 hp evinrude

lunchcutter
12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
hi folks managed to get the boat wet problem i had was as i tried to put her in reverse she would grind not sure what is wrong but would only grind under presure in the water run fine with the muffs any help would be great thanks
the motor is a 150hp ocean pro 98 mod

shy guys
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
cables need adjusting not going into gear fully

cormorant
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Might be cable adjustment . Disconnect the cable at the motor and manually change f n r and see if it goes in and out completely.

Check control box is moving cables freely when disconnected from the motor.

Where the gearshift rod goes into the top of gearbox there is a oring seal in a alloy case and it gets salt corrosion and oring get squashes against the shaft.

It lets water in eventually to your gearbox.

Drop the box and you'll find it just behind the waterpump and you see if it is corroded , stiff or if the shift rod has corrosion on it.

The gearshift adjustment on that box is done via the shift rod length. Many people changing impellers don't realise that and turn the shift rod and it changes the setting and won't allow the dog clutch to fully engage. .

Worth checking at every water pump change

You may have a worn out dog clutch.

In neutral with the motor off when you spin the prop by hand can you feel a "click click click"or nothing?

lunchcutter
27-05-2011, 09:19 PM
rightyo had the motor looked at so there was a bit of corrosion on the shift rod which was to stiff for the cables to work

cormorant
27-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Love it when it is cheap and simple

As I said above it can be corrosion on the shaft but is often also corrosion in the groove the oring the shaft goes through. Next waterpump change check it is still free and oring is in good nick

If the shaft doesn't move to it's full extent freely it will quickly stuff the dog clutch in your gearbox. It must move so you feel the click of the locator ball freely go in when the box is off. $4 oring verses $150 dog clutch and reseal of gearbox $150 plus. Keep an eye on if any water is in the gearbox oil. .

lunchcutter
27-05-2011, 10:36 PM
cheers cormorant