PDA

View Full Version : Off to Thailand for a Fish

Marlin_Mike
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Well, Sunday evening we fly out to Phuket, Thailand. 2 great weeks.

I have read the gloom and doom reports elsewhere......."no fish in Thailand" "all fished out" "waste of time nothing to catch" :(:-X>:(

Well only one way to find out, and if you don't put a line in the water you'll never know. ;D I hope to suss out the locals and get at least one day or one half day in for a fish on one of the boats. I know people will say waste of time, don't bother, gloomy gusses etc etc etc. I got ripped off when i did it. Don't care. Once in a lifetime experience to fish another country, so will be giving it a go. You never know. ;):P

So if I get to have a fish I will post a report and any pics when I get back on the 28th May. ;D;D

Cheers

Mike

smclaren
12-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Who cares if the reel doesn't turn !

There is PLENTY of nice and cold Tiger Beer over there whilst your waiting !

Have fun !

pommy
12-05-2011, 11:33 AM
pm me
Regards, Rob.

theoldlegend
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM
I can see a catch of BASA coming up!!

TOL

trueblue
12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
head over to Krabi from Phuket - visit Gillhams fishing resort......

http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/

as mentioned on a previous post, Phukhet is a hole compared to other parts of Thailand, but it is close enough to be able to travel easily to Krabi

if you want fishing experiences and seeing really big and exotic (stocked) fish, you can't beat this resort, for both the fishing and the comfort.

The big advantage of Phuket is the cheap flights that can often be purchased from Australia / Phuket / return. but also important to know that domestic flights in thailand are dirt cheap compared to Australia, and much cheaper bought over there at the ticket counter compared to buying the same flight from within Australia.

enjoy your holiday

cheers

Mick

Dignity
12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Enjoy your holiday and let the worry warts complain all they like while you are enjoying yourself

szopen
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
As Trueblue above says head over to Krabi.
Get to Aonang (spelling?) beach and than you have a choice:
1. Look up a fellow called Amata and go fishing with him(knows his stuff but not so reliable).
2. Take any of the long boats that have rod holders in the back.

Both cases you need top bring your own trolling gear. Red head Rappalas in 14 and 18 size work very well. Will need a wire leader as the main target will be large barracuda. Trolling small squid like skirts in shallows south of the main beach will get you large long toms.
Slow trollining plastics around Chicken Island will get you long finned trevally ( No 1 fish around there).

Never missed on a feed there.
After you catch something share with the boat driver (ther will be plenty of them willing to take you out next time).
Rest just take to any of the restaurants and ask them to cook it for you.

pommy
13-05-2011, 02:34 PM
No need for pm now.

Rob.

Sandman
13-05-2011, 02:59 PM
head over to Krabi from Phuket - visit Gillhams fishing resort......

http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/

as mentioned on a previous post, Phukhet is a hole compared to other parts of Thailand, but it is close enough to be able to travel easily to Krabi

if you want fishing experiences and seeing really big and exotic (stocked) fish, you can't beat this resort, for both the fishing and the comfort.

The big advantage of Phuket is the cheap flights that can often be purchased from Australia / Phuket / return. but also important to know that domestic flights in thailand are dirt cheap compared to Australia, and much cheaper bought over there at the ticket counter compared to buying the same flight from within Australia.

enjoy your holiday

cheers

Mick

So mick you do get off that rig to look around ? ps how did the raps go ? i couldnt find mine but took cd14 with me which got me 3 fish :)

trueblue
13-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Michael

no worries with the x-raps. just the one dodgey one, turned out to be warped, and probably by me leaving it unsupported in the sun on the boat. I have a bunch of others which are all working properly.

I've done a heap of travel and fishing around Thailand after work rotations and on holidays, and also don't spend much time offshore anymore...