PDA

View Full Version : US Import Boat Trailer

Pond123
11-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Guys,

I am just finalising a boat purchase. The boat is a US import and comes on an aluminum trailer (Magic Tilt). The dealer has told me that the trailer is OK in terms of meeting the appropriate Aussie standards. However, how can I make 100% sure that this is the case? The trailer has a VIN but has not been registered. The width appears fine (2.4M). What other things should I be checking before I hand over some hard earned $$?

Cheers

Pond

wrxhoon
11-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Guys,

I am just finalising a boat purchase. The boat is a US import and comes on an aluminum trailer (Magic Tilt). The dealer has told me that the trailer is OK in terms of meeting the appropriate Aussie standards. However, how can I make 100% sure that this is the case? The trailer has a VIN but has not been registered. The width appears fine (2.4M). What other things should I be checking before I hand over some hard earned $$?

Cheers

Pond

You need the import approval for the trailer ( if she doesn't have an Aussie complience plate). Make sure she has brakes that comply with ADR, brakes on all wheels if over 2000 KG ATM, breakaway system , lights that work, 50 mm coupling, clearance lights that work , mudflaps, reflectors, amber on the sides, white on the front of the guards and red at the rear. If under 2000 kg you only need overide brakes on one axle.
Magik tilt dual axle trailers are usualy 2.59 mtrs wide, measure it yourself to meke sure she is under 2.5 mtrs.

Muddy Toes
11-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Guys,

Cheers

Pond

Hey mate i'm not for a second saying that they are lying but if it was ADR compliant that would mean it had Aust.spec lights on it, an Aust.spec coupling...a real 50mm Aust.stamped and compliant one, Aust. spec load rated safety chains and all the other stuff the hoon mentioned including the lees than 2.5mtrs wide then it would be ok.BUT if not its no biggie.
As long as its less than 2.5mtrs wide at the widest part and had the relevant braking system then the lights, coupling and chains can be converted over here for not that much money.The emphasis being on the less than 2.5mtrs wide bit.
If it becomes an issue a mob over there called Ezloader Trailers built my trailer to ADR spec apart from the coupling and the chains but i got them fixed over here for a couple of hundred bucks but i also had the option to send over the appropriate coupling and chains so they could fit them.They had Aust.spec LED lights in stock .As the hoon also said make sure you get your trailer import paper work sorted out early in the piece.
Cheers MT.

Pond123
11-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your responses guys. The dealer selling the boat says the trailer was built to Aus specs. They are the official importers of Sea Chaser boats in to Aus (listed as such on the Carolina Skiff website)

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9364352

However, although the guy seems quite straight up, I am still not 100% about the trailer. I am also a Pom so not familiar with how the system works over here in Aus and am keen not either buying a dodgy trailer or driving around uninsured.

Hoon - after reading your post, am I correct in thinking that if the trailer has either a import approval document or an Aussie compliance plate it will definatly be legal to drive in Aus? Or could it still be turned down when i try to register it?

You mention mudflaps, reflectors, amber on the sides, white on the front of the guards and red at the rear. I cannot see any of these on the photos of the trailer in the advert....

Muddy Toes
11-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Hoon - after reading your post, am I correct in thinking that if the trailer has either a import approval document or an Aussie compliance plate it will definatly be legal to drive in Aus? Or could it still be turned down when i try to register it?

I doubt it will have an Australian compliance plate and the import approval is an application you fill out about the details of the trailer that you submit to the government so you can import the trailer.The onus is on you to provide the correct information.Just say if you wrote on the form that the trailer is 2.5mtr wide but it was 2.6mtrs wide and it lands here you would be in all sorts of bother and it could get quite expensive.You really need to make sure about the dimensions of the trailer before it leaves the states.Things like lights and couplings are an easy fix but if it rocks up here Australia and the dimensions are wrong or something like the brakes do not meet the ADR then it could get expensive.....modifying the trailer would be the best case scenario if the application is filled out correctly....paying to leave it at the customs yard at the port and eventually having it sent back to the states at your expense or having to destroy the trailer at your own expense is an outcome you obviously don't want to have.Have a squizz at these.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/index.aspx

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/index.aspx

If i import a boat again damned if i would take someone else's word for it when it comes down to trailer specs.Its too easy for someone on the other side of the world to say its ADR compliant to make a quick sale.It's not like you can go around to his place and demand a refund.:'(Once again please don't think i'm accusing him of anything i'm just trying to outline the worst case scenario so you don't end up disappointed.
Cheers MT.

Muddy Toes
11-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Sorry i just re-read your post......are you saying that the trailer is already here?For some reason i was under the impression that you were importing a boat from the USA not buying an import from an Australian dealer.Sorry,

O-3
12-05-2011, 02:47 AM
I agree MT....very confusing as to whether the boat is in Australia now or the seller is advertising a boat and trailer in the US which they then need to bring over after someone here (Pond123) buys it.

Can you clarify the exact situation Pond123?

If it is here already the trailer should be fine and if not you can take it back to the seller regardless.

If it is still over there I would say you can do much better bringing one over yourself!

O-3
12-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Dam I feel sorry for the guy who pays 10k more(RRP another 10k!) buying it from their website instead of boatpoint.

http://bit.ly/lPA6Lo

Pond123
12-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys.

The trailer is overhere. I have already measured it for width and it is fine. I am just not sure how I can 100% confirm that the trailer has either already been approved for use in Aus or will definately BE approved once I come to register it.

Agree about the internet price....

mustang5
12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Go to main roads and register it as a custom trailer?

Moonlighter
12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I dont think you need to worry Pond.

When they imported the trailer they MUST have applied for and got an import permit otherwise Customs wont let the trailer leave the wharf. By law they must have made the trailer comply with Australian regulations before registering it - and when they go to register it the Transport/Main Roads people will inspect it to ensure it complies.

So, as long as they register the trailer for you as part of the sale process, there is little likelihood that you'll have any problems down the track. Make them register it for you as part of the deal, and you'll be fine. Most dealers do that as a matter of course anyway.

Cheers

ML

team_mongo
12-05-2011, 01:16 PM
As said before, just make sure the coupling, chains and lights are legit. No probs about getting registered if an AUS spec trailer. Look at the VIN Plate, it will have a model number and if the last three letters are AUS then your sweet.

tm

Moonlighter
12-05-2011, 04:08 PM
The VIN plate doesn't need to have AUS at the end - only plates issued by Australian manufacturers have these or ones where there was no plate and someone applied for one here in Australia

As long as it has had a Vehicle Import Permit issued for it, it's USA VIN number will be on the national vehicle registration database, and it will be registerable within Australia, subject of course to the requiured standards being met.

And as said earlier, Transport will check it over when the dealer applies to register it. They can be quite picky with imported trailers and it is their job to know the requirements.

The guy has stated that he's buying it from a boat dealer so the dealer would normally arrange the registration, so any compliance issues will have to de dealt with by the dealer. Better to do it that way anyway because if there are subsequently any issues he can have some come-back on the dealer.

But just in case you want to reassure yourself about the requirements re lights, chains etc, follow this link, it takes you to the Australia Govt Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB1 which sets it out quite clearly and comprehensively.

You could also ask the dealer to confirm in writing that the trailer complies with VSB1.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/index.aspx

Cheers

ML

team_mongo
12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Magic Tilt make AUS spec trailers. The AUS on the end signifies MT model number.
I have imported one and there was no probs.

As you said ML, its up to the importer to get the certificate.

Have a look at http://www.magictilt.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=43

Moonlighter
12-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes I can see that, but the "AUS" on your trailer is a model number, not a VIN number. Completely different things.

The VIN plate should also include a statement that the trailer, if built overseas to Aust Standards, has been built to comply with Australian Standards and VSB1 in particular. This is a quote from VSB1:

"The vehicle plate must show at least the following information:

Manufacturer's or Importers Name (whichever party takes responsibility for the certification statement);
Trailer Model;
Vehicle Identification Number (specified in Section 8 (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_a.aspx#8));
Date of Manufacture (month/year, e.g. 02/08);
Aggregate Trailer Mass (kg); and
The Certification Statement (specified below).The certification statement for new trailers is:

This trailer was manufactured to comply with the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. "
"
I imported my boat and trailer from NZ and there is such a statement on the NZ manufacturer's VIN plate. In your case, your label states that its been built to meet US and Canadian standards, but nothing about Australian standards that I could see. It may therefore not comply.

Anyway this is off the point.

Pondy just wants to be sure the US built trailer under his intended purchase is kosher. If he gets the dealer to make a clear written statement that it complies with VSB1, and he gets the dealer to arrange the registration, then he's good to go, wouldn't you say?

Cheers

ML

team_mongo
12-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Yes I can see that, but the "AUS" on your trailer is a model number, not a VIN number. Completely different things.

The VIN plate should also include a statement that the trailer, if built overseas to Aust Standards, has been built to comply with Australian Standards and VSB1 in particular. This is a quote from VSB1:

"The vehicle plate must show at least the following information:

Manufacturer's or Importers Name (whichever party takes responsibility for the certification statement);
Trailer Model;
Vehicle Identification Number (specified in Section 8 (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_a.aspx#8));
Date of Manufacture (month/year, e.g. 02/08);
Aggregate Trailer Mass (kg); and
The Certification Statement (specified below).The certification statement for new trailers is:

This trailer was manufactured to comply with the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. "
"
I imported my boat and trailer from NZ and there is such a statement on the NZ manufacturer's VIN plate. In your case, your label states that its been built to meet US and Canadian standards, but nothing about Australian standards that I could see. It may therefore not comply.

Anyway this is off the point.

Pondy just wants to be sure the US built trailer under his intended purchase is kosher. If he gets the dealer to make a clear written statement that it complies with VSB1, and he gets the dealer to arrange the registration, then he's good to go, wouldn't you say?

Cheers

ML

Yep:thumbsup:

Muddy Toes
12-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Look at the VIN Plate, it will have a model number and if the last three letters are AUS then your sweet.

tm

But that does not mean it has to have AUS on the end of the VIN.Mine is a US built Ezloader trailer and i could still resister it.

team_mongo
12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
The AUS is only a Magic Tilt Model Number. It does no necessarily apply to other makes. The OP is getting a Magic tilt trailer, thus the specifics about the model number and the link to the magic tilt australian spec'd trailers.

BTW EZ loaders are a great trailer

Heath
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I've just been through this very thing.

Firstly make sure that the lights are infact ADR compliant. That is you have amber blinkers and a number plate light. If not you will get knocked back. Also make sure that these are good quality, the ones I had on mine were crap, so I changed them.
2nd thing is to make sure that the coupling is correct. The mob I got mine off, had a 2000kg coupling on the trailer. I changed this over to a 3500kg one. If your trailer come with electric/hydraulic brakes and comes with a break away they should be fine & nothing to change.
First you need to get a safety inspection done. The guy will measure the trailer & do a general inspection on it Eg lights, brakes work, breakaways work etc. Once you have that paperwork you can then go and register the trailer as a home made job.
Tip is to say its been registered before. If you don't, you'll have to take the trailer to QLD transport for a 2nd inspection... dunno why.
Your VIN doesn't seem to have a tare weight on it? If not then you will need a weigh bridge certificate.

Pond123
14-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks once again guys. I went to pay for the boat today, but a lot of the paperwork just did not stack up so I had to return home empty handed.

I had expressed some concerns around the unregistered, imported trailer. The dealer selling the boat had told me that it had actually been previously registered (this was after I made the original post on this site). However, when I went there today, he showed me two bits of paper work. The first was an import permit saying that the trailer could be imported and used subject to any necessary alterations being made, and the second document was a registration for an unlicensed vehicle and appeared to be a temporary document to allow the trailer to be towed on a single journey (i.e to allow it to be towed from the port to the dealership). This did not fill me full of confidence.

The dealer also did not have to hand the customs import documentation for the boat which was worrying. Both the boat and the trailer are being sold unregistered.

Moonlighter
14-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Why are they being sold unregistered? Sounds strange to me unless you have requested that?

The trailer import permit is fine, as said previously they wouldnt have been able to get it off the dock without one. In reality, all that this permit does is to get the VIN mumber on the trailer into the national vehicle database so that when you go to register it, it will be on the Main Roads computer and they will be able to register it. If they have no corresponding VIN number on their system, they will refuse to register it. You could check with them and ask if that VIN number is on their system.

The other permit is worthless to you - in all likelihood its just a short-term permit to allow them to take it from the dock to someone who can do any required modifications before they can then present it for registration. So to you - it's a worthless piece of paper.

I doubt that there will be any import paperwork for the boat or that you actually need to see any - you dont need any sort of permit to import a boat from the USA, Aus and the USA have a free trade agreement.

It is only the trailer that needs an import permit because it is classified as a motor vehicle (yes, yes, I know if hasnt got a motor but dont blame me, its the Feds!).

They will have had to pay GST on the whole package when they imported it, and as far as I know the GST liability will attach to the importer, not to any subsequent purchaser.

Look - at the end of the day there is an old rule that says "When in doubt, don't", so if you feel that something is not right with this deal and the dealer isn't helpful in answering your reasonable questions or is at all shifty in their answers, then think strongly about applying that rule, because something may well be dodgy.

Conversely, you may just have a hopeless salesman, in that case an option would be to demand to talk to the dealer principal and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

ML

New Boats Direct
17-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi Guys

I am happy to help. I am the USA Magic Tilt Trailer Dealer for Australia. If you want to send me the VIN number I am happy to check it with Magic Tilt.

Di