PDA

View Full Version : Thompson and Barcoo

Bros
11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Anyone know how they Thompson, Barcoo, Bulloo and Cooper are fishing following their last big wet, I'll be going out that way in the next two weeks.

yellowbellyking
28-05-2011, 12:30 PM
yeh bros the thompson and barcoo are fishing well the cold weather has got them on the chew . hook in mate i lived out there for 40 years and i might even out there august for the yellowbelly classic

Feral
28-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Mate got in to them the Barcoo the other day. (Just north of Blackall). Got 30 odd yella's between him and his grandkids.

Said the Alice and Thompson had been quiet.

Bros
28-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I should be there now but I am waiting for a Long Rang tank to be supplied and fitted and I expect to be there just after the long weekend. I suppose it will be a case of "you should have been here yesterday"

gros21
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm in barchaldine at the moment. The weir is full of camper vans just b4 the weir is full of snags (floods must of washed crap up hard agaist it) but at weir go up steam. Past fence then maybe 100m on the other side there will be a fallen tree apparently fish are there.
Just before u get into weir compound turn left travel maybee 1km at every chance go in towards river. U will se a power turret box and Polly pipe going into the water 10m to the left there is 4 tree in the water about 2m above water level u should see a black soft plastic spinnet bait lure with a yellow tail :p

But best spot it halfway between barcy and blackall not sure what it's called though.

Spinnerbaits are apparently the go, there is a local that makes them 'barcoo busters' no webpage but u can get them at caltex in barcy or directly from him $12-$16 each his a older bloke but pretty awesome

Feral
01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Spot your talking about is two water holes, Avington the most well known. Its on a stockroute on the barcoo,. Avington is actually a dude ranch these days, and has a pretty good setup for the well heeled visitor. You can camp in the stock route on the river there still.
Great camping and fishing spot, probably about 30k out of Blackall. Thats where mate caught the fish mentioned above.

Bit further out is Coolagh water hole, also a great spot.

My very vague memory is to take the home creek turnoff heading south from Barcy. but its been 20 years since I fished it.