PDA

View Full Version : Boat show - worth waiting?

mac64pc
11-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi,

New boat owner and new member and have been trawling through the forums and getting some great info - Thanks to all.

Looking at buying a lowrance HD7 or 8 as an upgrade to the x65 and possibly an electric anchor winch, and wondering if the boat shows normally offer good discounts - There is one in Melbourne in a month and wondering if its worth waiting or whether it is just as cheap elsewhere if you shop around?

Noelm
11-05-2011, 12:34 PM
from my experience, nothing is any cheaper at the boat show (or any other show) the big factor is being able to see lots of models in the same place, I know now and then there maybe a bargain to be had, but as a general rule, dealers are just there to "showcase" their goods.

Moonlighter
11-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Unlike Noel, I've found that at the shows in Brisbane area the deals can be good - and they are usually available from dealers without having to actually go to the show itself. I bought my HDS5 last year and as a package including the Navionics chart card, I saved quite a good amount.

So in my experience, yes, and check with your local dealer a week before the show to see if they have any "show" deals going.

Cheers

ML

ranga7
11-05-2011, 07:51 PM
i'd say no to the boat shows. wen buying my hds 10 i thought i'd give the santuary cove boat show a try as they say you can get boat show specials. well the boat show special was $250 dearer then my local marine shop.It worked out great getting it off them, cause you can drop in any time to ask questions about it and they dont mind.
alot of guys on this site have imported them from the U.S, including myself, and saved bucket loads, another option.

mac64pc
11-05-2011, 08:32 PM
i have been looking at importing from singapore as the US ones seem to be subject to geofencing issues now. i dont fancy imperial even though I still talk in feet

There is an ebay seller in singapore that has transducer, network kit and unit cheaper (2027) than the best price i can get here just for the head unit (2159), but its a lot to send via paypal.