PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki DF115 fault

Dantren
11-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Looking for help with the "check engine" light appearing on the tacho.
Engine is 2009 & serviced up. The engine is performing normally, hasn't missed a beat.
Two Suzuki techs have looked at it & can't find anything wrong. The laptop says there is no fault code, guage & loom have all been replaced - the light still appears solid - not flashing. Help....

Moonlighter
11-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Where are you located Dantren? If youre in the Brisbane area Jon Eadie is the Zuke guru and can usually sort most problems. Give him a call he might be able to help over the phone. Number is listed on the Suzuki website.

In any case, being a 2009 engine, I imagine it will still be in warranty - so dont take it back until they've fixed it.

Might be as simple as a faulty light - raplace tacho and that might sort it.

Cheers

ML

Dantren
11-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Hopefully case closed.
With the help of Suzuki, Jeffers Motorsport found an electrical short behing the air box. A wire rubbed through up against the block. Apparently there are two other cases in qld on the 2009 model.

cormorant
11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Hope they put it in the database so all dealers are aware to look out for it and do preventative maintainance on every one when they come in for service.;)

sleepygreg
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
A hint also to others who have this motor, if you get warning buzzers, check the book as it could also mean the puter hasnt been 'reset' when it was serviced......from experience...also sorted by Jeffers (who ascertained the previous service wasnt done properly....and the puter hadnt even been read). Quite concerning when you are on the shelf and buzzers start going off and warning lights start flashing.

Greg

perko
12-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Greg that one caught me out as well. I didn't work it out till the second DF140 set of the oil alert. I thought I could not have 2 motors with the same problem. What a stupid type of service reminder.

Spaniard_King
12-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Greg that one caught me out as well. I didn't work it out till the second DF140 set of the oil alert. I thought I could not have 2 motors with the same problem. What a stupid type of service reminder.

That light has caught out many an Owner:o

propdinger
12-05-2011, 08:20 AM
that bloody oil light flashing always comes on at the wrong times i was cutting it across a bar (shortcut ::)) and shat it when it came on took 20 seconds to realise it was due for a service got out the bar reset it and all was good. they should have made another sign for it rather than a oil light flashing imo. gets me everytime

cormorant
12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Do they still flash in a series of "flashes"that tells you in code what the underlying issue is? Used to be you only cared if the warning buzzer was consistantly on?.

Really worth haveing a laminated copy on the boat of the manual page concerned so you know if 3 flashes means imminent disaster or just a minor code?

Most people don't read teh manual or would understand what teh dealer is talking about.

Different motor but I have had the same thing on a motor trolling just off a bombora and lee shore. Sure does get the heart pumping. Guess they don't call em idiot lights for nothing.:-?

peterbo3
12-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Perko,
I am sure that you are not the only person surprised by the warning light but it is in the manual & the dealer has it on the checklist that you sign after a new engine install.;D;D The dealer needs to draw your attention to this function of course.;);) For those people without an hour meter it is a great reminder to get the engine serviced.
What other type of service reminder would you like to see?:o:o Engine hours are also available on the tach whilst the alarm lights are coming on prior to start.

perko
12-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Perko,
I am sure that you are not the only person surprised by the warning light but it is in the manual & the dealer has it on the checklist that you sign after a new engine install.;D;D The dealer needs to draw your attention to this function of course.;);) For those people without an hour meter it is a great reminder to get the engine serviced.
What other type of service reminder would you like to see?:o:o Engine hours are also available on the tach whilst the alarm lights are coming on prior to start.

I bought my boat second hand and didn't read the manual from front to back so I was unaware of this feature. As for "what service reminder would i like too see" well maybe a light that flashes service or service due. But to have an oil light come on is crazy. I own a workshop that handles many thousands of car services each year and battle with resetting service lights all day on all makes and models but non of them chuck up a oil warning light when they are due for an oil change. The public go into a panic when a cars check engine light comes on so imagine how it would make unaware people feel when out at the shelf or crossing a bar etc. I had serviced the motors at 80 hours so it was done before the light had come on.

perko
12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Also, how do you tell the difference between the service reminder and a ridgy didge oil pressure problem. That light could cause a boy that cried wolf scenario. Looks like I might have to dig up an owners handbook as common sense has been thrown out the window.

Dignity
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Cars usually show a Spanner symbol with some text e.g. 30,000km Service Due and not the heart attack instigator of a flashing oil light even if you have read the manual. After all the manuals I had to read e.g. GPS, Sounder, computer, car, DVD recorder TV etc etc I still wouldn't recall the oil light one :) :)

and as most motors cost the price of a car it should have these features, after all they haven't thrown in a boot, DVD player, seats etc so where is my money going