PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Twist overnighter

four_button_arnie
09-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey guys thought I might put up a little report just to touch base.

With the fantastic weather predicted for last sun/mon 1st and 2nd of May we couldn’t help our selves and had to do the first overnighter in the Yalta, Damo (barrybeast) and Troy boy came along. Boat was in the water at 430, still pitch black, we navigated through Gladstone harbour full of anticipation, not too much wind. We poked out past rat island and north entrance only to be meet with some nasty looking swell mmmmm not what I had planned, but this was the reason I upgraded form the 5m side console the 6m half cab!

It was a pretty slow trip out only sitting on about 30km/h, fuel usage drop down to 1.5L/km, and the swell was around 2m with a little bit of chop ontop thanks to 15kn blowing away, we zipped up the clears set course and got comfy in the bucket seats…..mmmmmm……not what I had planned, we occasionally would take a big smack of spray that would go over and above the bimini. Ow lovely to be safe and dry in the half cab! We hit daylight about 30mins from Masthead, thank god, not I can see the waves and actually steer the Yalta. We continued on heading for some spots around 95kms out from Gladdy, the last leg of the journey we where copping pure ocean swell with the occasional larger waves rolling through.

First drop and I pulled up a (what I think) was a coral cod, pretty as hell but too small. And then came the iodine bream, sweet as, now we have fresh strip bait. The fishing was little slower than I would have thought, (we have never been out here before and really have no idea where to drop a bait….just looked for contours etc). Until we came across a little patch, on which we spent most of our time.

My catch rate was down but the boys Damo and Troy started to pull in some tasty reefies, some stonking RTE and plenty of iodine brim. Until Troy boy came up hard onto something a bit more serious, to the boat the bugger pulled in a gorgeous Coral Trout, (the species which I seem to never be able to find!) Great addition to the ice box. By this stage the weather was beginning to behave itself. Bit of tucker and I thought I would throw a soft plastic around, resulting in another RTE, nice.

We kept hitting out little patch, I sent down half an iodine brim with the hope of a big trout or Red and pulled up a 52cm Red Emperor just short of legal, piss. The day went on and we landed 6 Red Emporer (all under size!) and again bloody Troy got another Coral trout, which nearly ended in Damo and I chucking his fish hogging ass over board! More good sized RTE hit the ice box, bigger than ive ever caught closer to Gladdy. The decision was made to anchor up for the night.

Daylight broke and we were met with Glass out conditions! We returned to our spot and continued to catch the odd fish. Damo hooked into a black tipped reef shark that kept us amused for a while, until he chewed through the 80lb leader. We tried a few more spots just happy to be crusing around Islands with the amazing weather. As normal plenty of undersized fish, Red E, RTE, Tuskie, and plenty of dam iodine! One of the iodines where sent back done for a livey on the 24kg Deep jig, and 80lb braid, it did get hammered, as did I, gone before i knew what hit me, dam it.

The decision was made at about 10am to head back to Gladdy to clean up, so we set course for home and sat back in the sun enjoyed to trip back in, no swell, no chop, no wind. The normal 50km/h cruise speed, but I had to give her a squirt for a minute or 2 busting along at 74km/h with 3 blokes on board and the big mackerel esky full of fish and ice, love it.

Again VERY happy with the Yalta, the new 600mm Baitmate bait board was magic! It has transformed the boat into a fishing machine, highly recommend it. Great couple of days, over first real reef trip and over nighter. Heard lots of people on the radio, Mine (Mine09) (dam did they clean up!) and also Angler Management (Buca T).

Glassout!
3lUPu7sYx5o

Thanks for reading!;D

Pics: 1) Me with Red E, 2) Damo with Red E, 3) Glass out, 4/5) Troy with Trout, 6) Troy and Damo chilling out the back, 7) Northwest in the background as we power on home, 8) Final catch

Josh

trymyluck
09-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds like ya having a ball with the Yalta, fishing up there sure does spoil ya...........:D;D

Mark

crab man
09-05-2011, 07:12 PM
top stuff mate

Lucky_Phill
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Now ya know what it's all about Josh. 8-)

I suppose we'll let you bring the Yalta to 1770 in September and maybe, just maybe you'll get that XOS Trout you've been chasing. ;D

Sounds like you did most things right. 74kph is not bad in the open ocean and that'll get you places fast.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers LP.

Scalem
10-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Sweet!

Very nice trip Josh, Your little vid shows perfect conditions but all I can hear is some wind and the hull splicing through the water. You sure that motor was running? Must have been :o Yammy is a quiet motor!

Scalem

jarhead
10-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Cheers for pics and read Josh, got the same bait board on my boat, they are the goods.

Wal

four_button_arnie
10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Cheers guys, totally in love with the boat and more so the islands now! Just need to work it out a bit better, we have no idea where to drop a line out there, sooooo much water.....

Phill that trout better watch out I'm on the war path now, Troy's 2 trout sure tasted the goods!

Scalem, you know it! That yammie is gold! (she sounded pretty awesome when I opened her up though!)

cheers
Josh

Bull
10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the report Josh.
You got a nice bag of fish there for your first time out to that spot. The weather doesnt get much better than that for your run home.

Bull