PDA

View Full Version : Darned Tilapia Day?

Rainbowrunner
08-05-2011, 07:20 PM
At work last year and the year before I had a couple of days where I put a notice up for people at work to come and I would show them how to fish at north pine dam. 20-30 people turned up each time, Bass, yellowbelly, tilapia, tandanus, garfish and redclaw were all caught. SIPS were bought, BBQ had and we had a good time.
I would like to organize one this year but to chase tilapia only and maybe get some stuff from DPI again and maybe even council.
This is where my fellow ausfishers come in -
What I need is -
somewhere quite safe to do this preferably on the northside of Brisbane, easy access to the water for fishing, preferably where Tilapia ARE in plague proportions and size hopefully with a park and maybe BBQ closeby.
I have seen a few articles and posts around but nothing really stands out.
Any help appreciated and Ausfish members will also be invited.
cheers

byron_moses
08-05-2011, 07:23 PM
good on you rainbow sounds like it would be a great idea i have no idea about the area but would make the trip for sure. what about including carp and making it a brisbane wide thing with first prize being bragging rights on ausfish . just a thought

Luc
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Have a look at Pine River Park on the bald Hills flats.

Plenty of space, toilets and a pond full of tillies.

Luc

sleepygreg
08-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Peter, I will be in that with you. And I will stick my hand up to promote it to my club members as well. Most of them are into Gamefishing, but there are quite a few who are into freshwater sportfishing. If it can be be promoted as a money raiser for some charity or fishing body all the better.

Cheers
Greg Evans
Secretary
Moreton Bay Boat Club Game/Sportfish Section

Reefmaster
09-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Great idea Peter i hope you can get it up and running..
Just a quick note that these fish do hibernate in the cooler months and a spot that I take the kids to a lot over the past few months and see/catch loads of them was bare yesterday. Did not even see one and i would guess the start of the cold weather in the past few weeks has caused them to go in to hibernation.

Regards,
Greg

Feral
09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
NPD (bullocky's) or Kurwongbah (Mick Hafling park) stand out as prospects, but dont let SEQ water get wind of an organised event, just make it a social gathering of friends having a BBQ and a fish. Otherwise they want insurance etc etc. We had to cancel an organised tilapia cull at Kurwongbah a couple of years ago because they would not shift on the insurance issue.

Rainbowrunner
10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys,

I might make it in September school holidays when the weather warms up a bit.
Keep the ideas coming,
I would rather a local creek or pond than a "SEQ Dam" tho preferably council land.
I am also a member of Australia New Guinea Fish Association breeding rainbow fish, blue-eyes and other natives for interest and conservation and like to promote interest and education on local aquarium type fish found in our local waterways (not just bass, perch, toga etc) and pests or introduced species.

Cheers

Si
11-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys,

I might make it in September school holidays when the weather warms up a bit.
Keep the ideas coming,
I would rather a local creek or pond than a "SEQ Dam" tho preferably council land.
I am also a member of Australia New Guinea Fish Association breeding rainbow fish, blue-eyes and other natives for interest and conservation and like to promote interest and education on local aquarium type fish found in our local waterways (not just bass, perch, toga etc) and pests or introduced species.

Cheers

Mate you could try Dowse Lagoon in Sandgate. Keogh street that is adjacent to the lagoon has a public BBQ. I know there has been some talk of an tilapia fishing 'event' happening but keeps getting tied up with red tape from the council but i think they do consider applications and the local member for Sandgate has been 'looking intio it'. The lagoon is full of tilapia. I think the main reason they (council) are reluctant is the ethics of killing fish inhumanely (go figure) and how that is percieved by the general public and also possible spread of further introductions due to eggs and fry in their surviving in parents mouth for awhile which potentially could may get carried away to another area by various means. If you could show to the council a management plan to deal with these issues and others then you possibly could get approval to fish I'm guessing.

Good on you for trying to do soemthing like this. I would attend. cheers.