PDA

View Full Version : care required in moreton bay

robersl
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi all just a quick note about moreton bay ,unable to sleep last night i decided to hit the water at 1.30am and fished woody point till 4 then zipped over to mud for the sunrise.
on the way back i must of seen 30-50 large pieces of trees and logs still drifting about in the middle of the bay between the shipping channel and woody point that is what i seen going in a straight line so who can imagine what is still floating around the bay and and a couple of these logs i would not of been able to get my arms around they were that big .
glad i did not get 1 in the dark makes me wonder how many near misses i had going accross, i noticed a lot of logs floating around woody point a few weeks back as well

Angla
08-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Even a little one can do damage when you are at speed.

Cheers
Chris

marty+jojo
08-05-2011, 04:49 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,,, any fish????????????????
Marty.

robersl
08-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi Marty
nothing worth talking about a lot of unsize snapper and a few rays and sharks ect 1legal grassy i should of stayed at home but the forcast was 2 good not to but it was blowing at 8-10 kn till 7am then dropped out

shane

marty+jojo
08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
So your not smashing the tailor yet?
Marty.

dan12345
08-05-2011, 07:14 PM
another thing to watch out for is the zillion crab pots with the floats just underwater on the high tide, went over to morton today an must have nearly hit at least 12 to 15 pots with floats 3/4 submereged

BazzaD
08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Good call Dan, pot floats are all over the bay, half submerged and same colour as the water, makes em hard to see.

mitchdemeanor
08-05-2011, 09:02 PM
To true, I'm always vigilant out there especially at the moment knowing all the debris still has not cleared. A few extra pairs of eyes on board certainly dont hurt either! :o

robersl
09-05-2011, 07:27 AM
So your not smashing the tailor yet?
Marty.
No net yet normally at the end of May i start getting them but i am having trouble locating the schools of pike i like to use as bait they have not arrived at the normal spots yet i think the water is still too dirty for them yet
I used pillie's yesterday but pike work better at Mud than pillies

shane

PADDLES
09-05-2011, 07:34 AM
there was a good size log in the caboolture river mouth on saturday too.

fyi, some tailor out the front of beachy too, only little choppers, but they bit my whiting rigs off a few times before i got one to the boat to see what was doing the deed, before it bit me off.

robersl
09-05-2011, 08:53 AM
there was a good size log in the caboolture river mouth on saturday too.

fyi, some tailor out the front of beachy too, only little choppers, but they bit my whiting rigs off a few times before i got one to the boat to see what was doing the deed, before it bit me off.
Hi Paddles yes i have heard of reports of choppers down the mouth of pumicestone as well hopefully the bigger one's will follow soon they can be a pest when you have to keep re tying hooks when not chasing them
Those big logs are a bit dangerous just sitting under the waterline like some of them do

shane

Cheech
09-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I just had my skeg welded back on after an altercation with a log in the Scarborough channel. Sorry to hear they are still around as I will be returning from Mud after datk tomorrow to Shorncliffe. Guess I will have to take it slower.

robersl
09-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I just had my skeg welded back on after an altercation with a log in the Scarborough channel. Sorry to hear they are still around as I will be returning from Mud after datk tomorrow to Shorncliffe. Guess I will have to take it slower.

Plenty in that area cheech so take it easy
P.S i wish the would put lights on the 2 unlit cardinal marks on the sth east and sth west corner of Mud makes it hard to find in the dark the one about 1 k west of mud is lite but then darkness hard with no gps in the boat to make sure you do not hit the island

shane

Cheech
09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Plenty in that area cheech so take it easy
P.S i wish the would put lights on the 2 unlit cardinal marks on the sth east and sth west corner of Mud makes it hard to find in the dark the one about 1 k west of mud is lite but then darkness hard with no gps in the boat to make sure you do not hit the island

shane

The one in close at the entrance to the main drain (sth east?) has been unlit for about 6 years. I came very close one night in a tinnie to hitting it as I thought I was looking at the sth east cardinal, but it was the sth west. Would be a nasty rock wall to hit.

I have found the west cardinal to be out a lot as well. This is the west cardinal a bit further north and closer in than the one you refer to. I now have them all punched into my gps.

What I found interesting is that I met someone a while ago that works in the department that maintains them. I said to him how they are always out and are a danger. He said that they regularly go out and fix them. Specifically the Mud cardinals. Bullshit. So if they think that they are already doing a good job maintaining them, even when it is challenged, then there is little hope for change.

robersl
09-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Yep i know what you mean . But i don't think they care about fixing those cardinals i might send an email off to let them about them if they can put yellow flashing lights on the rock wall they can fix navigational aids in the bay lol

shane

Giveitacrack
09-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the warning.Coming back from the cape yesterday there were a lot of big branches floating along the current line on the bribie side of the spitfire channel.

robersl
09-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I think a lot of them have washed down off the river banks after settling there in the floods,with the recent heavy rain and large tides surely they are not there from the jan floods in the bay still

shane