PDA

View Full Version : TV special to combat the extremely flawed 60 minutes report on fishing

govomg
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Hey Fella's

After reading peoples comments on 60 minutes disgusting attempt to make all us passionate fisherman look like fish killing machines, I had an idea, I'm just putting this out there to see what you guys think.

If we can arrange the funds by us fisherman making a cash donation ( if we got our point across I would have no ploblem contributing ) and employ the services of a film crew to produce our own scientifically based show using personalities that actually care about fishing as much as we all do. Get well known scientists/ authorities that do know what they are talking about and present the real issues, that we all know are causing the decline of our fish stocks.

Then hopefully be able to have it screened on one of the national channels ( probably not Nine ) to show the Australian public the truth.

Like I said I'm just putting this out there for discussion. Dunno if it can be done but you can do anything if you put your mind to it. Whats everyones thoughts. Cheers Mark

FishHunter
07-05-2011, 04:36 PM
The truth and TV, is that even possible?

Lucky_Phill
07-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Mark,

Do your own video and YouTube it.

You can reach a massive audience if it is done right and is entertaining. If it makes the grade, a media oulet may pick it up and run with it.

To achieve what you suggest will cost many thousands of dollars... lots of zeros, but never the less, appreciate the idea / input.

There are people of there, behind doors, working hard for you and your fellow anglers to right the wrongs and get the real message out.

Regards

LP>

Camhawk88
07-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Unless there is some sensationalism involved it probably wont be picked up by the commercial channels. That is why 60 min took the green side last time. Get footage of a few kids fishing off a jetty being bashed by some greenies for doing so and you've got a chance of some air time otherwize we are too easy a target for the tabloids.

LPs idea of youtube seems to be more of a goer and a hell of a lot cheaper to boot.

johncar
09-05-2011, 08:09 AM
It is a great idea in theory but yeah the cost may be very high and you couldn't trust any of the networks to do the editing or reporting.

I think that although the 60 min thing was just greenie rubbish most of the general public would have some connection with rec fishing and realise it is not as they depicted on that one show. There are may good fishing shows on the the Tele that demonstrate good responsible fishing and as said much behind the scenes work happening.

At the end of the day the commercial factor will always win out when it comes to the media, as it's all about making a buck to them and who is behind them. Don't see them attacking the commercial slaughter too much.

We just need to use the grapevine more and whatever other means available to us to get the message out. Just in your conversations with friends, relatives workmates get the word out re the truth about rec fishing.

At the same time I do know of a few rec fishos who don't fish in what I believe is a good and sustainable way but I do put tactful pressure on them to do better and we all can do that when confronted, because these guys aren't helping our cause one bit either.

govomg
09-05-2011, 09:14 PM
John I agree with all that youv'e said as I know a few guys that do the wrong thing as well, but I launched this topic to hopefully create discussion and at this stage there's been over 450 views with only a couple of replies. I personally take from that, that maybe people are keen to comment and complain about how we were portrayed by 60 minutes but hardly any are prepared to do to much to change things. Cheers Mark

fishfeeder
10-05-2011, 04:09 PM
would be easier to get your hands on the 60min episode that your talking about and Edit IT to point out the FACTS and then upload it on to youtube.

They edit info all the time to sound the way they want it to, so use there system against them and its cheap but takes a bit of time to research and document

Cheers
Brett