PDA

View Full Version : Long shaft or extra long

Dignity
06-05-2011, 08:08 PM
How do you work out what length motor you need. I currently have an extra long shat 150 hp 2 stroke and the dealer took one look and quoted me for a new extra longshat motor. The thing is that it is almost on the the most bottom hole and I was considering lifting th emotor to the last hole as I was still getting a bit of a rooster tail and the anti cav plate was still a little under the water.

I am figuring that possibly a long shaft job might do but none of the brochures have any sort of specs around this and I would imagine that they would say "how long is a piece of string" as it depends on the boat etc. It is just that I am reluctant to rely on a dealer who spent 30 secs looking at my rig and decided what he wanted to sell to me. I will be going and measuring up a long shaft on the weekend and trying to see if it will do but is there another way similar to what Solas use on the web to give an indication of what prop might suit.

HH565L
06-05-2011, 08:58 PM
This should help http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Help.html?Question=Shaft-Length

20" = L
25" = XL
30" = XXL

Keel to top of transom (see pic) measurement will generally be between 1 and 11.5" more than shaft length on the outboard.