PDA

View Full Version : Reelax Outriggers Tension while travelling

Snapperscott
06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a way to secure the 4.5m reelax outriggers I have purchased when travelling.

In the photos I have used the rigging to secure it against the rear cleat but want some advice about whether that is to tight and whether I run the risk of breaking them.

Advice much appreciated.

I've tried a few things and been travelling at 25knots and they move around alot which worries me so I either take them down or slow down.. Neither of which I want to do in between travelling to spots to troll.

Any advice??

Scott.

OPTI
06-05-2011, 06:09 PM
that looks way to tight,i just run them straight up when traveling and have never broken any ,they are made to flex ,i think they would flex more when a marlin strikes than when traveling at speed.

Snapperscott
06-05-2011, 06:27 PM
here is straight up for me...

trueblue
06-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd be worried about those ones falling out and into the water if not tensioned up

OPTI
06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
have you got a close up pick of the bases,that doesnt seem right to me

Smithy
06-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I'd be getting rid of the elastic band and putting a carabina snap straight on that bottom pulley. Where your cabin upright is before it branches into three I would cable tie a small loop of crimped 500lb mono or similar there. Pulling back in toward the base instead of the stern like you have done will keep it in the base no matter what. Just snap that pulley to the loop at that position. You will need a second loop somewhere else as your trolling position will be different to your travelling position unless you are extremely lucky. The higher the better so you can use the walkaround capability if you want. Worth glueing the base on or through bolting it. I have allready have one person drop an elbow overboard on me.

Snapperscott
06-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Smithy that is exactly how i troll with them. I just wrap the reelax elastic cord around the bottom before it turns into three and clip it onto itself. That is no problem.

Yes I have had a mate lose one over the side too... a $200 mistake.

I was just after a travelling position. Perhaps i have too much tension in this photo but im happy to loosen it a bit until a find a happy medium I just dont like watching them bouncing all over the place at 25knots in decent seas...

here is a pic of the bases close up.

scott