PDA

View Full Version : DIY replacing ply with checkerplate aluminium

fishmtb
04-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to DIY replace to rotted ply in my 5.7 stacer half cab with checkerplate aluminium. any idea what thickness? any other tips would be really helpful too.

If i can find enough info on building it i'm going to incorporate an under floor fish box too.

Cheers

blueline
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
3mm, but you may need to add stiffeners .

Greg001
05-05-2011, 04:40 AM
there's a good chance if the floor is rotten you'll find that the stringers rotten too. Check them out.Ally checker plate sounds good but after a couple hours in the sun you won't be standing on it barefoot.......

lethal098
05-05-2011, 08:31 AM
3MM will be fine but you may need to add some more bracing under the floor, i had to do that in my 525 when we did the same as you are thinking. Then go and buy some matting for under feet as it will get very warm being in the sun.

Cheers Lee

White Pointer
05-05-2011, 08:24 PM
G'day,

Some points.

Take note of the points already stated about the state of the stringers and inspect closely for corrosion from water logged timbers. Any cracking or corrosion must be repaired.

Checker plate is a useful material if you want to maintain grip with shoes on. If you intend to cover the floor with carpet or something else to save your feet being burned there is no point in using checker plate. You might be better off with 5083 marine grade aluminium. Its available from 3MM up to 6MM and will be strong enough and light enough and easier to glue carpet or other materials to. It might be a bit more expensive but it is for keeps.

I assume that the boat has an underfloor fuel tank. While the floor is out remove the tank and inspect it for damage and clean the cavity it lives in. Replace fuel lines, filler and breather tubes so that it all goes back together as new.

When you put the new floor in, do it in sections so that you can remove a section to service the fuel tank and its supply and delivery lines, the bilge pump and anything else underfloor.

You should use a marine sealer (and lots of it) to secure the new floor and use new 316 grade stainless screws into pre-drilled holes. Coat the screw holes and the screws liberally with TEFGEL or DURALAC to prevent corrosion from these incompatible metals.

I assume that your boat is a pressed aluminium hull. If it is, I suggest that you forget about the kill tank. The cost of putting drains from the tank through the transom without compromising structural integrity will, I expect, be prohibitive. I don't think this should be done on a trial and error basis.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

White Pointer

fishmtb
05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks.

My original thoughts were to use checker plate with carpet over it while the missus is still keen then rip the carpet out when she doesn't want to go in the boat anymore, but in hind sight, she's as keen for boating days as I am for fishing days so i might look into flat plate with carpet over the top

dan12345
05-05-2011, 09:24 PM
have u looked at high density poly ethelene(spelling) comes in big sheets heaps of different thickness lighter than checker plate,very strong,no rot,no corrosion,easy to cut an clean just another option

Roughasguts
06-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I hope you don't wan't to sell the boat in the future, no one will wan't a boat with a great big patch in it to mask any rot and soft floors.

Cheers.

nigelr
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Alloy hull with timber stringers and rot?
Guess I've just been lucky; mine have had alluminium braces.
Learn something every day!

Roughasguts
06-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Alloy hull with timber stringers and rot?
Guess I've just been lucky; mine have had alluminium braces.
Learn something every day!

Oh okay my bad it's a big tinnie!!!! thought it was an old glass boat.::)

Cheers

fishmtb
06-05-2011, 10:43 PM
nope, just a half cab tinnie that spent the first 4 years out in the weather with it's previous owner.

fishmtb
19-05-2011, 10:08 PM
nope, just a half cab tinnie that spent the first 4 years out in the weather with it's previous owner.

.... still looking for a local aluminium plate supplier. all seem to be 2 hours away......

finga
20-05-2011, 08:41 AM
.... still looking for a local aluminium plate supplier. all seem to be 2 hours away......
Where are you??

I have just got some 4mm 5083 from Austral Wright in Brisbane. It was plain plate not chequer plate though.
Cost for 4mm was about $200 per sheet GST inclusive.

fishmtb
20-05-2011, 10:52 AM
From the Austral page.....

5052 Boats, dinghies and other applications requiring resistance to marine corrosion.
5251 Boats, dinghies and other applications requiring resistance to marine corrosion.
5083 Marine, pressure vessels, cryogenics, and structure. Not to be used above 65ºC.

Do i need to go to 5083 or just stick with 5052/5251? The difference appears to be teh brazing (not that i know what that is)

timddo
20-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking of 5083 for 4mm. Gee's that Finga is like a walking computer with prices and locations. Do you need to brace with 4 mm???? My boat will be carpeted.

Still thinking as i would do one peice at a time.

fishmtb
20-05-2011, 11:48 AM
score!!!! found a sheet of 5083 for $212 10 minutes away

fishmtb
20-05-2011, 10:17 PM
score!!!! found a sheet of 5083 for $212 10 minutes away

But didn't realise it was plus GST . Grrrrrrrr.

still, at least it's in my ute now so i can start