ampol64
04-05-2011, 07:54 PM
hi guy just geting a new trailer with the new 6m boat and not sure
weather to textile and fisherlean the back half of it before i put the
boat on it all so if any one has done so and did it make a diferance
or not cheers

FishHunter
04-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I covered my whole trailer in Lanolin and removed every nut and bolt and put Silver Anti Sieze on it. The stuff I couldnt get to U sprayed with Tectyl
After I finished adjusting the rollers I sprayed all the bolt heads with Tectyl.

It looks like crap but its not going to rust in a hurry

Dignity
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
listen to fishhunter, I only did the back half and now wish I had done the lot. If you can get tectyl in liquid (not the spray cans) bung up all the holes and fill the channels till they are full then let drain will make all the difference as most trailers actually rust from the insides out i.e they look a little rusty on the outside but inside there is much much more as it can't be seen

Kero
05-05-2011, 07:02 AM
I covered (drowned) my entire trailer in 3M Rust Proof and then sprayed the internals with Tectyl (same stuff). It goes on as a brown wax but dries to a much lighter colour. The end result doesn't look unsightly and now the trailer doesn't even get wet, the water just beads off it.

Angla
05-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Definitely add any protection you can before the boat goes on.

Cheers
Chris

murf
05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I just finished doing my trailer in Tectyl 506

when I got trailer back from the hot dip gal place i poured the tectyl through all the RHS channels making sure all the insides were coated, bolted the trailer together with Tectyl on all the bolts then sprayed the back 3/4's of the trailer with Tectyl

thanks to peterbo3 for reminding me of the trick to heat the Tectyl up in a pot of boiling water ;) I just put the spray gun in the boiling water until thin enough to spray and it works heaps better than thinning :)

then its an easy yearly maintenance to keep suspect areas touched up with a paint brush

cheers Murf

murf
05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
a few pics I just loaded
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/TrailerTectyl1.jpg
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/TrailerTectyl.jpg
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/TrailerTectyl2.jpg

cheers Murf

whiteman
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Looks like it helps to grow grass judging by the before and after shots!

I regret not doing my trailer when new 9 years ago. Every year or so I get another section replaced as it rusts from the inside out.

tropicrows
05-05-2011, 02:10 PM
About bloody time we saw some pictures MURF !!! what about the boat. you need to start a tread in the boating section called "my play thing".

My tailer is just starting to get a few rust spots just now it was new in 2006, I wish I have done the same as you lot above with the Tectyl. My biggest concern is the IRS axles, they fill up with sea water every time, it drains out, but I can see the rust in there. I sprayed the inside of them with fisherlean a few months ago, but the last think you want is some chemical attacking the rubber torsion bushings.

murf
05-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I am Gunna do it Tropicrows haha one day :)

and I would be happier if it made the grass grow less whiteman ;)

cheers Murf

wayno60
05-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Guys, well Murf really, whats the idea of the bolt together trailer?? so if you get some rust in one section you can unbolt and replace.

ive seen kit homes b4 but never kit trailers!!;D

murf
05-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Guys, well Murf really, whats the idea of the bolt together trailer?? so if you get some rust in one section you can unbolt and replace.

ive seen kit homes b4 but never kit trailers!!;D

well noticed :-X

I can chop and change as I wish and only $155 to get Hot Dip Gal because it is in pieces, also if the rear rusts out just replace or if the rails rust out just replace

cheers Murf

propdinger
05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
dont forget under the mudgaurds its a place they willl rust aswell (if there metal of course)

truth stretcher
05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Was thinking about doing this to my trailer and was wondering about thinning it with turps or the like. Found this stuff and if you scroll down it says to not thin 506 at all .

http://www.qclubricants.com/tectyl_506.htm

Hope this helps.
Has anyone used the boat storage options short term or will someone take my boat out while I do the trailer ;)

ampol64
05-05-2011, 07:04 PM
thanks guys for all the feed back i now know to do it cheers

finga
05-05-2011, 08:16 PM
And another advantage of the Tectyl is that the trailer looks all icky.
Thieves will go for the nice shiny trailer before nicking yours if it's icky looking.

wayno60
07-05-2011, 06:22 PM
icky.......

siegfried
07-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Penetrol is good