PDA

View Full Version : travel covers

truth stretcher
04-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Looking at getting a travel cover made up for my BC and am wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should look for/need in a travel cover and if their is anyone they could recommend .
I am located Brisbane North so pretty much anywhere in SE QLD.

Dan5
04-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Mate what are the main reasons you want one?

I had one for a boat a few years ago now and it was a PITA.....if your protecting the boat from mud/dust etc when you roll that thing up and put it in your car thats where all the crap ends up..........in your car.

Also taking it off before fishing is a PITA.

Putting it back on after a days fishing is a PITA

And having to wash it aswell when its dirty is a PITA

They only real benefit i see from a travel cover is from a security point of veiw.......making it a little harder to steal your gear out of and thats about it.

Dan

thylacene
04-05-2011, 06:51 PM
A well fitted storm cover to limit access to the interior and some barwork and canvas/tarp wings on the front of the trailer to provide protection from stuff coming up from the tow vehicle might be a better option. Our experience with travel covers is that they flap and do more damage to paint/gelcoat than they stop. It is amazing how abrasive a flapping cover is over the course of a 1300km tow. We wore through a bimini envelope and took the paint off back to bare metal where the cover rubbed on that trip

truth stretcher
04-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Mate what are the main reasons you want one?

I had one for a boat a few years ago now and it was a PITA.....if your protecting the boat from mud/dust etc when you roll that thing up and put it in your car thats where all the crap ends up..........in your car.

Also taking it off before fishing is a PITA.

Putting it back on after a days fishing is a PITA

And having to wash it aswell when its dirty is a PITA

They only real benefit i see from a travel cover is from a security point of veiw.......making it a little harder to steal your gear out of and thats about it.

Dan
I like the idea of having a cover thats is tailor made so it fits the boat better, Ive got a south seas cover over it now and they are a great cover it fits very well for a generic type storage cover , I'd just like a bit of protection from the elements when I travel and like you said out of mind out of site , ohh and with the amount of crap I have to take in my car for the three girls and the mrs I might be able to carry a little more out of site in the boat.

Dan5
04-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah mate my cover was taylor made......and a good fit aswell.

I suppose mine was more off road towing.......it used to get mud up the sides and then it would wear against the hull doing more damage.

But the security side of thing is still the drawcard.......being able to stow things away out of view.

Dan