PDA

View Full Version : What is this hole in the floor?

mustang5
04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
My Haines signature has a hole in the Hull, which comes up to an open pipe at the back of the boat..

I am guessing these are for stability or something?? Just looking to know the functionality if possible :)

Cheers

thylacene
04-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Ski pole mount?

fishfeeder
04-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Mate my Seafarer Vagabond has bungs in the floor at the front of my boat under the bunks and 2 at the back that I have no idea what they are for, the previous owner had no idea why they are there also....
I just make sure the bungs are in before I head out boating as I am guessing there just air chambers or something like that....
Would be good to know if they have a purpose aswell

Cheers

bigjimg
04-05-2011, 05:11 PM
What model Signature and what year.The only hole i have in the hull is the bilge drain hole.

Fed
04-05-2011, 05:12 PM
I've got a little curly pipe coming up on each side of my boat that allows the sealed sections of hull to breath could it be that?

bigjimg
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Mate my Seafarer Vagabond has bungs in the floor at the front of my boat under the bunks and 2 at the back that I have no idea what they are for, the previous owner had no idea why they are there also....
I just make sure the bungs are in before I head out boating as I am guessing there just air chambers or something like that....

CheersYep Fishfeeder that is your basic floatation but only if the bungs are in.Check them every couple of trips to make sure you don't have a leak through your floor fixtures as it won't get out unless you let it out.Jim

Fed
04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
I think you've got it nailed fishfeeder same as my Viking, check each side of the inside of the transom & see if you have any curly pipes.

NTMID8
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
My signature has two bungs in the rear, one that emptys from where the fuel tank sits the second from within the hull itself

Duckfish
04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
If it is an early Signature, the hole was there to provide aeration to break suction from the extended transom. That particular model when first out had problems trying to get on the plane because the ext transom was sucking the boat to the water so Haines put that big hole in the bottom of the transom to break the suction. I think that was the idea. My two bobs worth .
Duckfish

Ratman
04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Does it go right through to the bottom. Does it have something to do with allowing air to escape under a stepped transom area of the hull?

OPTI
04-05-2011, 06:12 PM
duck fish is correct,the design was floored , the inbuilt pod sucked the boat down and it wouldnt get on the plane ,the big pipe lets the air out .

Swanie1975
04-05-2011, 06:46 PM
hey mustang, i had a mid 90s signature 1950 that had the same thing. looked like a big drainage pipe coming up behind the rear seats and when backing up it used to overflow with water!! always wondered what it was for - guess now i know cheers ryan

Relaxedcamper
04-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Thought this question is in the same vain as the original Posters so I thought I would as a similar question.

We have a Haines Signature 500c 2007model and we also have lots of bung holes but no bungs in them. The original owner said that they were for draining the bilge however I am thinking that they are in fact for the air ballast.

There are four in the rear of the boat, two directly behind the in floor fuel tank and two in the transom port and starboard side.

Are these in fact for bilge draining or air tanks?.

We also have a underfloor kill tank, and we haven't used it so I don't know if it drains into the bilge section of the boat where the bilge pump is or out the boat through another drain?

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/Haines%20Signature/IMG_5972.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/Haines%20Signature/IMG_5975.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/Haines%20Signature/IMG_5974.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/Haines%20Signature/IMG_5973.jpg

GBC
04-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Both, they are for keeping air in while you're sinking, and being a signature water will find it's way below decks, in which case they are for draining aforemention water back out again once you're out of the water.
Get some bungs and use them while you're on the water. Remove them when you are at home so rainwater etc can escape and not rot the hull. Mine allows some rainwater in from somewhere over time.

Spaniard_King
04-05-2011, 08:27 PM
yeh the 2100SO was real bad for sucking down, we used to bore out the holes to at least twice the size of what haines sent them to us with. The botom holke was like 75mm x 150mm ours used to vent through the transom.

mustang5
05-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Ahhh thanks heaps fellas!! One less thing I have to think about :P!!