PDA

View Full Version : Engine hours on an old two stroke yamaha

Pond123
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi All,

I am looking at a 2nd hand boat (I will potentially be its third owner). The boat hull ticks all the boxes in terms of what I want.

However, it comes with a Yamaha 2 Stroke on the back. And it is the old ‘pre-mix’ type two stroke. The boat owner advises that the engine and hull were both new in 2005.

However, he cannot tell me how many hours the engine has done. He advises that there is no hour counter on the engine.

I thought all modern engines had a chip on them that totaled up how many hours they have done. Is this not the case with the old two stroke yammys?

Cheers

Pond

Noelm
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
nope, only EMM/ECU (computer) controlled motors have the capability to record info, 2005 is not an old motor, what HP is it? must be a small one if it is premix!

PADDLES
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
hey pond, don't worry too much about the hours, just worry about the corrosion. like noel says, 2005 is not that old, as long as it looks like it's been cleaned and looked after it should be ok. if you're worried enough and are serious enough about buying it, just pay a mechanic to whip the head off and check for any advanced corrosion.

Pond123
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, Noelm, it is actually a big one - 115hp!

PADDLES
04-05-2011, 01:50 PM
a 2005 115hp yammy would have oil injection, get the seller to confirm the engine year.

Noelm
04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
they did make a CV model that was the "budget" model and they were I think pre mix, the others were "precision blend" not many CV big motors around, especially in the last decade or so.

ozscott
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Yep - all the ones I have seen are oil injected, but as NoelM says they did sell the poverty pack one (I think it might even have had an alloy v stainless prop?).

The 115 are one of the best in the Yammy range. They are a motor that was and is very popular for good reason - quiet for its size and technology, not too bad on the oil (100:1 at idle and varying to 50:1 at full noise), plenty of torque, low profile, not overly heavy for its size, and pretty much bullet proof (which for oil injection is nice...:))).

My 93 is still powering along a big Vagabond nicely, so they work well even on bigger loads, but most power smaller units.

Cheers mate

Noelm
04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
the CV range had a few items deleted or cheaper than the other version, some of the options are (and they vary from year to year) Aluminium prop instead of stainless, no oil injection, no trim switch on the motor (only the control) lower HP for the same motor, plus some other small things that allowed them to make a good cheap motor. So I guess we need to know if yours is a CV or if someone has disconnected the oil injection system, which should be re connected, as it is a very reliable system.

Pond123
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Excellent. This is just the information that I am after - thanks for your help gentlemen! I am viewing the boat tomorrow so I will ask the owner for the detail.

cormorant
04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Imporant things are corrosion and compression and whether it is making full power /revs and if it has been propped right on a water test.

Do not ever buy a 2nd hand motor without having a compression test, preferably a leak down test and borescope as along with checking temp alarms are operating.. If you do make sure you pay a appropriate price in case it doesn't come up perfect.

Very hard to tell if there is internal corrosion on a quick inspection but owners attitude to maintainance ( service history) and flushing and look of the motor can give you a hint but a good detail can fake most of that. . Pulling the thermostat housing is the only easy access point that may give a indication of scale build up and feeling motor for hot spots after a run.

There is no shortcuts . Do the simple cheap things and only progress if it checks out or price is changed accordingly.

ozscott
04-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I had a yahama tech do the tests suggested when I bought mine. Definitely the way to go. Cheers

Malcolm W
04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I have the 115 CV model (2003). They come with everthing that the oil injected model comes with including a stainless prop.
Up until recently you could still buy this model at a discount of $1000 on the oil injected model.

I have been told by the local agent that it can be put on the computer and the hours checked. Mine came with an hour meter.

Its a very good motor with the only disadvantage of pre-mix, this means you run 50.1 all the time (a bit smokey at idle) but with the security of knowing the engine is protected at all times. Also its a de-tuned 130, so its a very strong motor.

Many of the older boating owners and commercial fishermen bought the CV model due to the lower cost and a lack of trust of the oil injection systems even though they are quite reliable now.

There is not much to go wrong with them, give it a compression test, check the leg oil for water and take it for a run. If your happy to measure and tip a bit of oil in, go for it.

Muddy Toes
04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
My 2005 yamaha 115hp saltwater series was oil injected.Sold it with 450hrs on it and it still went like the day it was born....great motor.

Spaniard_King
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
I have the 115 CV model (2003). They come with everthing that the oil injected model comes with including a stainless prop.
Up until recently you could still buy this model at a discount of $1000 on the oil injected model.

I have been told by the local agent that it can be put on the computer and the hours checked. Mine came with an hour meter.

Its a very good motor with the only disadvantage of pre-mix, this means you run 50.1 all the time (a bit smokey at idle) but with the security of knowing the engine is protected at all times. Also its a de-tuned 130, so its a very strong motor.

Many of the older boating owners and commercial fishermen bought the CV model due to the lower cost and a lack of trust of the oil injection systems even though they are quite reliable now.

There is not much to go wrong with them, give it a compression test, check the leg oil for water and take it for a run. If your happy to measure and tip a bit of oil in, go for it.

I think your local agent is missleading you as it is not posible to check engine hours on any engine which is NOT EFI/DFI

mustang5
05-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Yep - all the ones I have seen are oil injected, but as NoelM says they did sell the poverty pack one (I think it might even have had an alloy v stainless prop?).

The 115 are one of the best in the Yammy range. They are a motor that was and is very popular for good reason - quiet for its size and technology, not too bad on the oil (100:1 at idle and varying to 50:1 at full noise), plenty of torque, low profile, not overly heavy for its size, and pretty much bullet proof (which for oil injection is nice...:))).

My 93 is still powering along a big Vagabond nicely, so they work well even on bigger loads, but most power smaller units.

Cheers mate

Couldnt agree more mate!! I am on to my 4th boat now, and the 115 Yammy wsa always the one that gave me least worries.

whiteman
05-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Ask the seller for service receipts!

FNQCairns
05-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Pond listen to the Corm above, compression and corrosion, nothing much else matters except for age wearying intrinsic value, grab the serial numbers of the O/B and look them up to assume exact age...many get sold for more than they are worth because of 'mistakes' made here.

Minimum is a compression test, hours cannot hide from one of these if the engine has been treated typically and by typically I also mean badly even if low hour, cylinders can coke up in under say 200h quite easily.

Pond123
05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Cheers Gents.

Went to see the guy today. The boat looked tidy but am still not sure about the engine....

Engine number he gave me was 6E5 X 100 1813 Q

Now, having had a brief scan on a couple of websites, that engine number looks like it comes from a 1992 engine, not a 2005.... That would also kind of explain why it is not oil injected.

Does anyone know a way to contact Yamaha to find out the exact details?

mustang5
05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
http://www.motortraders.net/store/yamaha-outboard-identification.asp

Q is either 1992 or 2003. Show us a Pic mate, probably best way to do it.

Mine is a 1991, which is a C.

Malcolm W
06-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Cheers Gents.

Went to see the guy today. The boat looked tidy but am still not sure about the engine....

Engine number he gave me was 6E5 X 100 1813 Q

Now, having had a brief scan on a couple of websites, that engine number looks like it comes from a 1992 engine, not a 2005.... That would also kind of explain why it is not oil injected.

Does anyone know a way to contact Yamaha to find out the exact details?

They are the same numbers as mine, a 2003 model. The only other reference I can find is a number (2002) that I assume is the date on the spark plug leads.

My motor was bought new and fitted in early 2005 so this may be why the previous owner is quoting a 2005 model.

Pond123
06-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks Gents,

I had been looking at US engine numbers and it appears that European engine numbers are used over here.

This is the boat - the problem is that the engine cover is on in the photos so not sure how much help they will be.

The hull certainly looks like the 2005 model.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10208494

Pond123
06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I have just heard back from Yamamha and they advise:

We are pleased to advise you that 6E5 1001813 is a 115CETX / 2003 CV model
outboard motor. Our records show that these motors were still available in small numbers till 2006.

So it looks all good.

This is my first boat purchase so I might start another thread around the things I should be checking before putting an offer in for the boat.