PDA

View Full Version : What Tools/Spare Parts Do You Carry On Your Boat?

Relaxedcamper
04-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Good day to you all.

I have been a member for a good while and have been quietly absorbing as much knowledge as possible, so firstly many thanks to members who freely give up some of their own time to post here on Ausfish.

We have recently purchased a Hainse Signature 500C. Prior to this we were fishing in ally boats in the Murray and so the thought of 'spare equipment/tools' wasn't a consideration as we were close to river bank and travelled only a few Km from the ramp.

Now we have the capacity to travel much further away from the boat ramp, the question in my mind is what sort of 'spares' and 'tools' should I carry for on the run repairs.?

We have a 2007 90HP Mercury Oprimax that has just 97hrs on the clock and has just had the 100Hr service.

I am thinking off the top of my head but please add to my list.

-Cable ties.
-Appropriate fuel/water seperator filter.
-Appropriate spanners/multi grips/screwdrivers.
-roll of tape.
-?Spark plug and spark plug spanner.
-Can WD40.
-Spare DI oil.

Anything else???

Cheers.
John.

timddo
04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Most important of all Coastguard or VMR membership. ( plus you need a radio to call them.

I'm with coastguard and one membership covers the state of QLD ( pretty much)

Noelm
04-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I carry nothing, (well except for some insulation tape and a few cable ties) I used to, but after a bit of time, any tools you have are rusted to bits and useless, so unless I am going on holidays or something, I take nothing in the way of spares and such, and most times if you needed them, it would be impossible to use them unless you jump in and swim around the back of the boat to muck around with the motor.

PADDLES
04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
i carry a basic tool kit but like noel says other than some dodgy wiring fixups there's not much you can repair whilst you're out and about so the best thing is to join up with the coast guard or vmr and give them some petrol money to come and pick you up.

tropicrows
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Add
A bit of spare fuel line.
spare prop nut & washer
spare prop when I go away.
hose clamps

Scott nthQld
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
nothing really to do with the motor itself, as Noel said, not a lot you can do unless to want to swim. but i do carry a spare length of tinned cable, crimps, leccy tape, zip ties, a couple of screw drivers and a small shifter. Also carry a spare fuel bulb and a couple of hose clamps. If you can temporarily fix without getting out of the boat, which is basically wiring a fuel line, then wouldn't even bother, too difficult and chances are the one bit you don't have a spare, like a bolt or something is the one bit that will be going for a swim

Angry
04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
few Spanners,
Pliers
Sidecutters
Zip ties
Wire
Spare Prop & washers /split pins
hose clamps.
Spare Fuses
spare Jerry with 10ltrs of Fuel
Jumper leads

Noelm
04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I guess what it all comes down to is, how much stuff can you take, and can you do anything with it if you break down, you have to draw the line somewhere, I would like to see anyone change a prop outside in any sort of chop, I reckon you will need to jump in the water, and risk getting eaten by something in QLD, or freezing to death in NSW, and all you will end up with is a lost prop or prop nut, by all means, be prepared, but you could take a full tool kit, 500 parts and still not have something to get you going again, this is day to day boating we are talking about, if you are off on a trip, then all sorts of adds and ends can come in handy, I reckon a spare hub and bearings would be my choice.

Refugee
04-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Jump leads?

Noelm
04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
yeah, jumper leads would be very handy, IF there was another boat around!

oldboot
04-05-2011, 02:05 PM
If you are going to carry a prop nut and maybe a prop, make sure you carry a socket and a block of wood or whatever you need, otherwise the prop nut is no use at all.

As far as tools going rusty.

If you wrap them up in clean rags...(you'll nee some rags) and seal them up in a lunch box, there should be no problem with them going rusty..a bit of lanox one em helps.

cheers

Noelm
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
thats what I used to do, tupperware box, tools in oily rag, but after time, they just bugger up, agree with the prop nut bit, no use having a spare prop and no way to get the old one off, thats the sort of thing I meant when I said "can you do anything with them"

The-easyrider
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
The only TOOLs I carry in my boat are my mates, but seriously just some basic bits and pieces which came in handy over Easter to get the BBQ going after some bastard insect built a nest inside the tap. To keep things from going rusty I made up a holder from some 100mm PVC sewer pipe with a glued cap at one end and a screw end at the other, make sure that you use the rubber washer. I have had my tools in there for about 4 years with no signs of rust, just need to give them a bit of a wash and spray after they have been used. And I keep a couple of those silica bags in with the tools or a bit of rice will absorb any moisture.

timddo
04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
A screwdriver will be handy too.
A spare set of fuses for the outboard.
As for rusting tools, get stainless ones that don't rust.

I pretty much only bring a knife to cut tangled rope around the prop. IF the boat breaks down and i can't start it after 15 mintues, it's to to radio for help and a tow in.

cormorant
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I've done the prop change offshore. Once tilted up as we had big marlin board between the twins ( pretty easy) and once in the water on another boat. In the water with lifejacket on big bruise on the leg and headache to match but did it. I wouldn't recommend it in those conditions again but with heavier weather coming and a otherwise very long slow journey home it was worth it. Very hard to get properly dry and warm again. Both times it was from strikes well offshore , one log we saw and the other thing we don't know but didn't have a wood sound.

We carry a set of spanners and screwdrivers and extra bits ( globes, fuses, wire split pins, spark plugs, spare fuel filters, fuel pump kit) , but over the years they have been used a lot more on other boats than ours. We have jumper leads - a long set

We keep a photocopy of error codes for motor on board so if something comes up we can look at it and make a decision on whether to run the motor home.

Keep ours in a flat airtigtht pelican type case and a wipe of light oil on a rag.

Biggest item has always been the 2nd motor or auxillary .

Fed
04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
This year I'm going to make up a pull start rope & practice using it.

cormorant
04-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Most motors of larger size still need a battery connected and to have 12v to start even with a rope and keep running. You may need a very long rope! With all the covers under the cowl on most you'll need some spanners or screwdrivers as well. I'd go the extra battery! as my shoulder aches thinking about pull starting big outboards Try it in teh shed with eth battery flat or disconnected - hope teh alternator doesn't bugger up as some don't like not being attached to a battery or to one with a direct short

fishfeeder
04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I take one of them jump packs when doing an over nighter.
Never had to use it but piece of mind even with having 2 batteries on board.
I have more tools on my boat then in my shed at home, Never know when you or some other person on the water might need something.

Cheers

Fed
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Old 1988 V4 90HP Cormorant so it doesn't need a battery to run.
Pop the cowl and there's a flywheel sitting there saying, "Spin me up you pussy".
Only a small boat with a single battery but I do take a battery booster pack with me.
It all sounds a bit daunting but I've heard of people lifting cars off the ground when the shit hits the fan.

Relaxedcamper
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys for all the very helpful advice. I am making note and will begin to put together a 'simple' kit of tools.

In way of a fuel/water separator filter.

What is your advice on either the contained single cartridge type of filter or do you prefer to have the type that has a visual bowl at the bottom so you can see and therefore drain off water.?

With the one with the bowl, in the advent of water in the fuel, is it just a simple case of emptying the bowl and off again, or do you also need to replace the filter on the run?.

Cheers.

John

charlie09
04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
None....my boat is less than 12 months old and the motor has less than 24 hrs on it ;D

thylacene
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
With our boat being only 4 months old, not much really.

A couple of shifters, one large, one small, a couple of No. 2 Phillips screwdrivers, one short, one long. Shimano sidecutters and a coupel of pairs of long nose stainless game pliers (these all serve a double purpose as it is how we get hooks out or cut traces when required, also handy for cutting the barb off a hook that found its way into my hand). These sort out anything that might come loose

A roll of self amalgamating tape, a roll of gaffer tape, a handful of long zippy ties. A roll of tinned cable and a couple of crimp connectors to allow a bush mechanic electrical repair. A couple of hose clamps and spare ropes complete to inventory.

We carry pool noodles cut into lengths to store rigs that will double as "mold-able" bungs in the even that we hit something and hole the hull (or leave the bung out).

Set up with dual batteries with VSR and switching to allow running on either with the other insulated.

Motor is a 175, so no chance of pull starting it even if it had a pulley on top.

Worst case scenario mitigation is 2 x radios 27meg and VHF, an EPIRB and logon with marine rescue every time.

Would have liked to be able to do the dual engine thing, but for full redundancy you would need two fuel tanks, and plumbing to allow switching between the two.

Budget and hull choice made this impractical.

Used to carry a spare prop & nut/pin, but in all honesty, we fish offshore most of the time, and with a modern four stroke engine, there is little even a competent mechanic can do on the water.

I reckon it is more important to ensure that you have things setup to avoid issues, check your wiring and cabling to ensure there are no rub points and that nothing is stressed or where it could be be damaged by passengers or loose items moving around the boat. Regularly check that nuts and bolts are tight and not missing, and keep an eye on barwork and brackets for any sign of cracking or fatigue. Service the engine regularly, and keep an eye out for oil leaks, crimped or kinked hoses and anything that looks like it might be or come loose.

An ounce of prevention is worth 3 toolboxes worth of cure. Only three years boating so far, but made it home without incident every time so far. That's my preferred option, I like to leave the mid trip mechanical repairs as a feature of road trips on my hot rodded harley ;D

Lachie1
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
What ever happened to preventative maintenance??? I carry a few fuses, a spark plug spanner, a shifter, and a leatherman (you could build a house with those things) and thats it in the way of tools... Never had to use any of it (except for one fuse). I also have a spare prop, starter rope and a can of lanox which gets used on reels, pliers etc

If you don't have confidence in your boat/motor then you shouldn't be going.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Lachie

DALEPRICE
04-05-2011, 08:46 PM
its not really a tool, but a spare set of clothes
thrown in up the front has saved the day a few times.

dale

Lachie1
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys for all the very helpful advice. I am making note and will begin to put together a 'simple' kit of tools.

In way of a fuel/water separator filter.

What is your advice on either the contained single cartridge type of filter or do you prefer to have the type that has a visual bowl at the bottom so you can see and therefore drain off water.?

With the one with the bowl, in the advent of water in the fuel, is it just a simple case of emptying the bowl and off again, or do you also need to replace the filter on the run?.

Cheers.

John

Go the one with the bowl as the standard spin on one will just rust in the bottom of the filter eventually clogging it up and possibly sending water and rust etc further down towards the engine as water accumulates - and it will.

It is easy to keep an eye on the glass bowl type and drain off water as the need arises. As long as you drain the water out and change the filter as often as required you should never have a problem.

Cheers,

Lachie

Scott79
04-05-2011, 09:58 PM
There's a few more ideas in here also mate:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=171415&highlight=spares

Scott.

ScottB
04-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I carry a fair bit of gear but it is a bit of a different world having the engine inside the boat! In the tools department;

Set of sockets and spanners (check if your engine is imperial or metric)
Pliers/sides/longnose/multigrips/vise grips
Hammer (most important!!)
Screwdriver set
Wire crimpers
Test light
Wire brush
Filter removal tool (what's the point of having spares if you cant get it off??)
Couple of shifters
Inox for lube / drying out
Piece of emery paper

And in the spares dept;
Couple of fuel/oil filter cartridges
Water pump impeller
Serpentine Belt
Spark plugs
Assorted nuts/bolts/screws and hose clamps
Duct tape/self amalgamating tape/electrical tape
Cable ties from small to huge
Small roll of cable/ crimps/ fuses for engine and other circuits
Light globes (for nav lights)
Spare length of battery cable lugged at each end
Timber Plugs for skin fittings (in case of failure/breakage)
Jump start pack
Little bit of engine oil/power steer fluid/hydraulic oil for steering

And when I do maintenace on the boat, anything that I may have to do at sea one day, I attempt with only the tools in the boat, anything that is required beyond those is then added to the kit.

Regards

Scott

charleville
05-05-2011, 12:48 AM
after a bit of time, any tools you have are rusted to bits and useless,

In a not very accessible area in the bow of my boat I carry sets of "economy" grade spanners and screwdrivers which have deliberately never been taken out of their sealed plastic packaging.

I probably need to look at them every now and then to see what sort of shape they are in but I keep hoping that the sealed plastic packaging is sufficiently impervious to moisture ingress.

I also keep a few fuses and a couple of light pliers and screwdrivers in the glove box with a small spray pack of Inox, just in case.

Above all else though, I maintain my membership of the Coastguard and get regular servicing done on my motor.

The most likely need that I have for tools on my boat is for jewellers' screwdrivers for the tightening of screws in spectacles. The little spray can of Inox comes in handy from time to time, though.

Splash
06-05-2011, 02:07 AM

+1 to this. Extremely important - especially for older motors....

I also carry a red hi-vis plastic V-Sheet, amongst other numerous items that have been mentioned on this thread.

Splash

luke8178
06-05-2011, 08:10 AM
I Carry, a basic tool kit,( which i remove from the boat each time)
a jump start pack ( its my alternitave to a dual battery set up and can re charge my phone)
cable ties
and some old fuel line

I'm not the most motor savoy, so I'd say Id be calling in for a tow if anything went seriously wrong...

Splash
06-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Luke - can u elaborate more on this jump start pack (links, etc)?

Splash

Defore
06-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Splash it is a battery pack that is usually used to jump start a car.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Calibre-Jumpstart-1100-Amp-Marine-Built-in-Worklight.aspx?pid=168229#Description

This is one from supercheap, but lots of places have them. There are also much cheaper ones out there.

Ian

luke8178
06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Its called a TJS-m8, http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/blog/2010/01/new-product-release-jump4l-compact.html

i went with this one as ite much better quality than the ones from super cheap ect...

Relaxedcamper
07-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi, Just a quick question regarding bearing maintenance.

We have recently purchased a boat and had the trailer bearings serviced and bearing buddies installed.

My question is with regard to greasing the 'Bearing Buddies'. At what point do you 'nip them up' with a little extra grease?

The grease in them is a blue color grease.

Am I able to use the grease that is my grease gun? It is " Nulon L80 X-Treme Performance Grease with P.T.F.E."

This grease is red in color and the packaging says its Marine grade.

Is it OK to use a different brand of grease to 'nip up the bearing buddies' if they are both 'Marine Grade', or should I purchase another gun and blue grease?.

cormorant
07-05-2011, 07:47 PM
It is best not to mix grease of different styles. The blue shell Nautalus grease can be use in marine bearings and most other things so unless you need the other grease for something else just use that for everything unless you have a 2nd gun?

Depending on style the bearing buddies have a small overflow hole or you can see if the spring has "sunk"in towards the hub so you put a few pumps in until they are fully out again. keep them under spring pressure all teh time and check that if they are not holding pressure that the inner seal on the inside of teh wheel hub has not been dislodged and grease spewing out onto the inside of your wheel rim.

Dignity
08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
A bottle opener for those beers that don't use screw tops :)

Have carried nearly everything already mentioned but recently downsized the tools considerably as got sick of taking them out and getting rid of rust ect. The only other thing that I don't thin has been mentioned is a Multimeter to assist with tracing any wiring issues.