PDA

View Full Version : Cod And Mice

ferral
03-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi Been fishing in bidgee near wagga caught 15 cod for the day biggest 70 cm the cod were all full of mice one spewed up 8 mice and you could see more down his throut. There is a mice plague on at the moment best fishing ive had for a while now Going to try some mice lures i got up in north qld later in the week

Feral
04-05-2011, 05:38 AM
I've seen mice cod lures before, never had any luck with them, I reckon you might do alright with them in the middle of a mice plague though!

Always fancied a duckling surface lure for cod, never seen one though. (heard plenty of old timers say the real deal are gun bait, but doing that would get me divorced) ) I do have a lure that is an exact colour match for baby shag's I'm keen to give a run next shag breeding season!

daki23
04-05-2011, 05:43 AM
wow... never heard of this before :)

Sheik
04-05-2011, 07:48 AM
A family I knew out at COndamine had nice cod in the house dam which ran down to the river and was full of big cod. One fish they brought in had a golf ball inside. So maybe a ping with a treble hanging out the back might be a good lure. And think of how far you could cast it with a 3 wood....

aussiebasser
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Plenty of fish in the Murray near Mulwala with Golf Balls in them. There's a Cormorant rookery near there and the fish confuse the balls with eggs knocked out of the nests.

Obi _ Wan
04-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Many years ago i caught bass that had mice in their stomachs.
In fact one bass had two fully grown mice in it's belly.

More recently a mate has caught barra on a Bills Bug mouse imitation lure.

On the golf ball bit, a long time ago we used to use the plastic (practise) golf balls, the ones with the holes in them when we wanted a floating bait in the surf, the practise golf ball was on the line behind a trace just like a sinker was used, we would hook up the bait, drop the golf ball in the wet sand, place a foot on it , roll it around until it was full of sand. You would then cast out and as soon as the ball landed in the water the sand would wash out leaving all else to virtually float

Cheers,

John.

Angry
04-05-2011, 12:46 PM
I have a brother on the Bidgee downstream of Wagga, can confirm lots of Cod & yellas taken a few weeks ago were chockas with Mice

Wondering if a surface lure with a tail, on sunset would go OK myself

wamjam
04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I have got a rat lure that Jamie from mudeye lures made. When the fish are a bit hard to get I always wack it on, my mate hates me using it, not just because I sometime get more fish but we all end up wet from the water the fur holds. I think the lure works well because the hooks don't rattle on the sides of the lure, its more natural.

Scott

Barry Ehsman
04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I have got a rat lure that Jamie from mudeye lures made. When the fish are a bit hard to get I always wack it on, my mate hates me using it, not just because I sometime get more fish but we all end up wet from the water the fur holds. I think the lure works well because the hooks don't rattle on the sides of the lure, its more natural.

Scott

Mate you got in just before me.....Jamie & Michael caught some good Cod at Copeton on them....

Baz

wamjam
04-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Mate you got in just before me.....Jamie & Michael caught some good Cod at Copeton on them....

Baz

Sorry mate, I owe you a beer.;)

Scott

Apollo
04-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Caught a massive jew on a live mouse in the Karura River years ago. They were waiting under an overhanging branch with fruit on it to catch mice that fell in the water when a gust of wind unbalanced them. Spooked plenty more big jews when we snuck in to get a few livies.

Steve

MEG-A-BITE
05-05-2011, 08:27 AM
looks like they like mice got to get somthing that will look tha same in a lure..interesting they eat them,they must be a pig of a fish.

FNQCairns
05-05-2011, 09:05 AM
gee 30 years ago i had mice lure, has really short fur and everything, never caught anything with it.

Curious Wagga for cod can mean a few differing waterways/branches within a 45min drive, was it in the river proper?

By the age of 10 I had caught literally 100+ cod with my old man around wagga in the old topercraft, not to mention the ones from the foreshore of Lake Albert which is where I spent 90% of my free time. LA once held good cod and plenty of them in the right places.

ANYFISH
07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi Wamjam
I still havnt forgot that bloody rat!!!! Caught how many cod to my none. But when it lost its tail i nearly caught up.

Bloody RAT!!! I hate THAT RAT!!!@!

ferral
11-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes mate caught them in the murrumbidge down stream from wagga went again yesterday and caught another 15 cod beteen 200cm and 580 the largest

FNQCairns
11-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes mate caught them in the murrumbidge down stream from wagga went again yesterday and caught another 15 cod beteen 200cm and 580 the largest

Nice! sounds like you had fun, very good to hear the river is producing at least, soon it will be time for the crays to come on again.

MackerelMan
14-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Barra love them as well.

rabbi
18-05-2011, 02:52 AM
We had a mouse plague at Inverell many years back, maybe early 80's, and it extended way out west.
I was just getting into lure fishing then and I had heard of cod being caught at yetman with mice in them.

Anyway, we were catching the mice in traps, so they were already dead.
I came up with the bright idea of getting an 8/0 hook and rubber banding a mouse onto the hook with the point facing down.
I had a mate, Terry Plumbe, who owned a property on the Macintyre back then and he was quite amused at what I was doing so he came down to the river to watch.

They floated so they were a surface lure of sorts and in the hour before dark I caught 2 cod, 8 and 20lb by casting and retrieving along the weed beds.
I think it surprised both of us.

Terry put a handline out a couple of nights later with a mouse and it was on the bottom in about 2 metres of water with a running sinker and caught a cod around 8lb as well.
Im glad jamie came up with a less messy way of utilising mouse shape lures.

Just a footnote: I had an uncle at moree who used to do very well on yellas with grasshoppers when they were in plagues.
Cheers, steve

jimbamb
20-05-2011, 11:13 AM
just wondering if we can take this to the next level?
How about a cat and a BIG hook??
Maybee a meterery?Barry..
Jim

Barry Ehsman
20-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Yea thanks Jim i'll try anything mate...heading up your way in a weeks time for a couple of weeks..hope things pick up for me then...

Cheers baz