PDA

View Full Version : Off Moreton Labour Day

TREVELLY
03-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Went out from Scarborough about 6.30am wondering what to expect - big sea?

Well it was a solid but lazy swell.

First up we tried spinning the channel markers in the bay for zip.

Then we went to Hutchies and around and did some drifting.

Brandon caught first two pearlies, first two drifts. Then Terry followed along and me a bit later.

Terry got his "pearl bag" for the day and was happy with his brace. Brandon started quick but only added one more keeper for the day. I got a few pearlies and a mack tuna for bait next trip.

Terry did play with a mack just long enough to have another toothy thing join in the game right next to the boat. Scott was soaking his feet most of the day till then :o

It was a pleasant day out.

wags on the water
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Looks like another great day on the water. The only water I get to see is from the water truck...

TREVELLY
03-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Oh a few things I forgot to mention.

Water temp was 25.6 deg and a beautiful deep blue.

There was very little current.

Wind was mainly SE 5 to 10 knots and dropped in arvo to smooth conditions on a gentle but solid swell 2 to 2.5m.

Pleasant conditions with a little bounce in the morning and easy in arvo.

Most fish were caught on fresh squid on paternoster rigs. A few caught on the humble pillie.

Pearlies were first up then they became terrorised by AJ's I suspect - we had our share of being monstered for over an hour and by the time we geared up to do battle the sharks had moved in and just bit us off.

Several pearlies got big and fast on their ascent and quickly descended to the reef for unstoppable bust offs.

Mack tuna were caught at the end of the day on our return when we sited some surface activity and trolled through.

We did do about an hour trolling with minnows for zero then swapping to skirts and up the speed for the tuna - was hoping for a hoo - oh well.

We caught as many throw back pearlies as we had keepers and for the 20-25 peaqrlies we only got two small squire returned to grow.

jarhead
04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Looked a very enjoyable trip, gotta love a feed of pearlies.

Cheers Wal

TREVELLY
05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Yep it was a nice day out Wal, and as you can see the boys didn't exactly flog themselves to death when trolling - Steve :zzz: Terry :zzz:

When I upped the speed his hat blew in the drink ;D did return for it though :)

At one stage I thought Steve was going to fall in whilst asleep - he was pretty tired after 6 hours of throwing-up :wreck:

Might have been tempted to have a nap too if I had auto-pilot and radar alarm ;)