PDA

View Full Version : importing new engine from USA

02-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I was considering importing a new motor from the usa after hearing all the reports on how much cheaper it can be . However i have no idea where to start looking and was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience in this area. the motor I am after is a 150 or 175 suzuki 4 stroke.

thanks in advance
Craig

Ausfish
02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi

See banner ad above your post, they will either be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

Noelm
02-05-2011, 12:46 PM
there is a thousand threads (almost) about this, most have come to the conclusion that US dealers (except Evinrude) will not sell outside the US, so unless you know someone over there that can buy the motor (in a box) and then forward it onto you, the savings are just a dream for most. but as mentioned, try the sponsor link.

Splash
02-05-2011, 01:20 PM
The US dealers are out there to import the Suzis - research harder.

Splash

frankgrimes
02-05-2011, 01:35 PM
If someone local will honour warranty, then worthwhile....if not, then imagine getting a doa/major fail...

Noelm
02-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I guess to get a dud would be a killer, but the chances are pretty remote, and the cost would probably still be cheaper to buy another one and keep the DOA for spares, I know most dealers these days will keep an eye on serial numbers, and if they see a "grey" one, the Aus distributers are notified, and then it goes via the dealer network to try to track down the US seller and they get into hot water, a few have lost franchises already, but as always, do your homwork, look for all the possible traps and good luck with it.

peterbo3
02-05-2011, 01:57 PM
The US dealers are out there to import the Suzis - research harder.

Splash

Splash,
Help out a fellow member. Put the info up for all to see.;D;D;D;D

Splash
02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Sorry - I have made pledges not to reveal any details of any USA dealers I have been dealing with, and I will honour these pledges.

Splash

Noelm
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I guess a list of possible taps may be in order, anyone can add something I missed, or refute something I have mentioned, the more we know the better, first one is warranty, a pretty common one, but could be a biggie if you have a major failure, second is installation, you will usually need to do it yourself, or find a back yarder to do it for you, almost no dealer will help you out with a grey import, be aware that most prices do NOT include controls, gauges and prop, then there is freight and GST to be added, not to mention dealing with an unknown dealer on the other side of the world, anyone got anything else to add? this is not to try to stop anyone importing, but more a possible scenario that could bring you undone.

Noelm
02-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry - I have made pledges not to reveal any details of any USA dealers I have been dealing with, and I will honour these pledges.

Splash
So, from that, we can safely take that it is an unscrupulous dealer, or you have found a way to side step the network! we are talking new motors here, not used by the way.

Splash
02-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi Nolem.

Actually - these pledges were made to an active member on this Forum - not to any dealers.

Splash

Noelm
02-05-2011, 02:40 PM
OK, so be it, you need to protect someone who you have vowed confidence.

Splash
02-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I agree totally with what you have said in this thread Noelm - except Post #12.

It's all about RISK and the person's appetite for that risk.

Splash

Splash
02-05-2011, 02:51 PM
OK, so be it, you need to protect someone who you have vowed confidence.

Colourful and creative language.

Splash

OPTI
02-05-2011, 03:12 PM
id start with the ebay ads ,but ring the dealers up ,find one that is willing to do the deal [wont be hard ]use a shipping agent like peter leigh imports [600 dollars per engine] and get them shipped ,pretty easy ,if you have a major failure ,you will need to send it back to the USA for warranty,which will still be quicker than dealing with the australian dealers.
just find your best price here first so you know what you will save .

Noelm
02-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Splash, did not mean to imply anything un toward, sorry if it comes across that way, if you have told someone you will not tell anyone, then so be it, you/we must respect that.

Splash
02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
no worries Noelm...

Still friends?? :-)

Splash

Dignity
02-05-2011, 04:08 PM
610, if you are going to go the import way then splash out on the 200hp as from what I can see the specs for the 150, 175 and 200 are all the same motor except for some minor electronics. Why do compnay's charge an arnm and a leg when the electronics still must cost them the same to produce for whichever motor or am I missing something.

OPTI
02-05-2011, 04:31 PM
the 175 is the pick of them the 200 is much heavier;)

leezor
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
610, if you are going to go the import way then splash out on the 200hp as from what I can see the specs for the 150, 175 and 200 are all the same motor except for some minor electronics. Why do compnay's charge an arnm and a leg when the electronics still must cost them the same to produce for whichever motor or am I missing something.

Not quite, the 150 and 175 Zukes are big block 4 cylinder engines, main difference is the 175hp has variable valve timing giving it the extra HP. The 200, 225 and 250 on the other hand are V6, they share the same block however there are suttle differences with each model such intake manifolds and VVT and giving it the extra HP.

Dignity
02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Sorry guys - memory failing - Suzis 150 & 175 are same block. Just priced one out of US for 175 @ US$10925, need to work the freight, GST, Insurance out but it seems like we are getting stung big time here.

Dignity
02-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Not quite, the 150 and 175 Zukes are big block 4 cylinder engines, main difference is the 175hp has variable valve timing giving it the extra HP. The 200, 225 and 250 on the other hand are V6, they share the same block however there are suttle differences with each model such intake manifolds and VVT and giving it the extra HP.
leezor, the brochure I have back home shows both the 150 and 175 as having variable valve timing. Every spec was the same for both motors. I am away till thursday and it was 2010 brochure as the boat show ate up all the 2011 brochures but I will recheck.

02-05-2011, 06:19 PM
thanks to everyone who has replied. I have a friend who has a container being shipped over from the US in 4 weeks time with room to fit the motor in so if i can organize it in time it seems like a great opportunity. I realize the risk of potentially getting a dud motor but the savings seem to be worth it

leezor
02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
thanks to everyone who has replied. I have a friend who has a container being shipped over from the US in 4 weeks time with room to fit the motor in so if i can organize it in time it seems like a great opportunity. I realize the risk of potentially getting a dud motor but the savings seem to be worth it

All the best with the import, next engine I buy will be coming this way too :)

Reef Cruiser
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
with our dollar reaching 1.10 you would think that they would pass on the saving to us the customer ???? but no they wont ... but all the boat shop people will be complaining when we bring in more and more of these engines from the usa ... but if they looked after us in the frist place we would not have to do it at all

Jabba_
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
with our dollar reaching 1.10 you would think that they would pass on the saving to us the customer ???? but no they wont ... but all the boat shop people will be complaining when we bring in more and more of these engines from the usa ... but if they looked after us in the frist place we would not have to do it at all

Evinrude have dropped there prices due to the strong Aussie dollar.
They have dropped $3000 across the range, plus a further $1000 discount for this month, and are doing a $1000 cash back. $3000 price reduction, and $2000 discount.. Not bad, and if you were buying A Rude it wouldn't be worth the exercise buying one from the states..
I dare say the other manufactures will do similar very soon. It maybe they need to get rid of old stock first....

Splash
02-05-2011, 07:50 PM
i totally agree with Reef Cruiser - the AUD is at a once in a lifetime high - take as much advantage of this situation as soon as you can, before the USD starts to climb back up! You only live once.

i do not believe Suzuki in Australia will drop their prices at all. I have read somewhere that Suzuki International headquarters are not placing too much emphasis in Australia - due to the relatively lower population / market base here. That's why there are not as many Suzi dealers in Oz, compared to the rest of big players. Suzuki know they have an excellent / superior product and do not need to reduce their prices to make the sale.

On the same token, you will not see Honda drop their prices either.

IMHO (and without causing WW3), I do not believe Evinrude are in the same class as Suzuki, and this is why they are dropping their prices because perhaps they were too high to start with...? And, yes I agree that it would be pointless buying the Rudes OS, due to their heavily discounted prices in Oz.

Splash

BM
02-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Every major brand is self represented in Australia, except Suzuki. Therefore warranty with the other brands comes direct from the manufacturer.

With Suzuki the warranty is carried by the Haines Group, and then presumably by Suzuki Japan, but perhaps not and is simply only carried by Haines Group.

Would be interesting if the Haines Group ceased distributing Suzuki engines. Warranty claims would have to be sent back to Japan.

So perhaps those seeking to purchase engines from the US would be just as safe to buy their Suzuki from the US as they are buying it locally.

There's no guarantee that the Haines Group will still be selling Suzuki tomorrow, next month or next year. But you can guarantee that Mercury, Honda, Yamaha and BRP will still warrant their local product due to their local representation rather than an intermediary distributor.

ozscott
03-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Where is that one from Dignity? Ed's Boathouse is more expensive than that...

Cheers

Dignity
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Ed's Marine Superstore in Virginia - also was offering 6 year warranty but that was for April, we are now in May

rcfisher
03-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey Jabba
Are you telling me a $14000 115 etec is now worth $9000?

peterbo3
03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
OK, Ed's will NOT sell a Zuke unless it is going to a US address. Don't believe me, then stop reading.

You need a US address outside of VA to avoid VA state tax. The price is for the engine. Wiring loom, prop & instruments are extra.Ed's are supposed to fit the engine but there is some fudge factor FOR US BUYERS.

I spend three months in the US every two years. I have a TX & a CA & a FL address. You want a Zuke, do yer sums. My charges are A$500 up front,you pay for the engine, etc. You MUST arrange shipping with subsequent GST, agent fees, etc. I leave on June 5.

Dignity
03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Peter, I do access to have a Pensylvania address, not sure wht your $500 covers.

OPTI
04-05-2011, 07:24 AM
if you guys use someone like peter leah imports he has an address in long beach california,where the shipping agent packs the containers,this usually fills the address requirement

Jabba_
04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Hey Jabba
Are you telling me a $14000 115 etec is now worth $9000?

Not sure on the smaller motors, I was enquiring on 200's to 250's. Maybe safe to say the 115 would be much closer to 10k now.

ozscott
04-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Jabba - I dont know the prices, but I assume if a 115 is close to $10k a 150 would be what, $14k or so...importing that particular motor from the us (if you are game with dubious/diffucult/costly warranty) - given that they have no fittings, controls, harnesses etc when they list the prices generally - and allowing for import GST, transport costs of $1k or so and insurance and any agency fees you are looking damn near the same price as the local one. The etec is expensive in the US compared to here. The yanks must love local brands...they pay the same or less for a 4 stroke Zuke than an etec...

Cheers

Noelm
04-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Pete is on the money, regardless of the crazy prices you see advertised, MOST, US dealers will not sell outside the US, and MOST will not sell a motor in a box, they are not allowed to, of course to some, a sale is a sale, if you have a US address, and can find a dealer to sell in a box, then the rest is just hard work on your behalf, arranging transport of so on, as long as you are prepared to accept the risks involved, and they have been mentioned plenty of times before, then the choice is yours.

OPTI
08-05-2011, 04:07 PM
im expecting my boxes tomorrow:P

fly_1
08-05-2011, 11:46 PM
I know of many blokes who HAVE bought froms Eds. No dramas at all,but you do need an address to send the motors to before they get packed up . Once they are shipped to the local address, its no dramas at all getting them shipped across. One mate payed 27500 to have 2 brand new suzukis with all the bits and bobs delivered to the sunny coast. yes its involves abit of stufffing around, but its well and truly worth it.
Do your research, and you will save alot of money.

suzygs1000
09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Every major brand is self represented in Australia, except Suzuki. Therefore warranty with the other brands comes direct from the manufacturer.

With Suzuki the warranty is carried by the Haines Group, and then presumably by Suzuki Japan, but perhaps not and is simply only carried by Haines Group.

Would be interesting if the Haines Group ceased distributing Suzuki engines. Warranty claims would have to be sent back to Japan.

So perhaps those seeking to purchase engines from the US would be just as safe to buy their Suzuki from the US as they are buying it locally.

There's no guarantee that the Haines Group will still be selling Suzuki tomorrow, next month or next year. But you can guarantee that Mercury, Honda, Yamaha and BRP will still warrant their local product due to their local representation rather than an intermediary distributor.

That is, unless Mercury, Honda, Yamaha and BRP decide to pull out of Australia like Suzuki did about 8 or 9 years ago....

Steeler
09-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Great lakes Skipper sell high HP in the box, still need a US address though.

doublexl
21-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Evinrude have dropped there prices due to the strong Aussie dollar.
They have dropped $3000 across the range, plus a further $1000 discount for this month, and are doing a $1000 cash back. $3000 price reduction, and $2000 discount.. Not bad, and if you were buying A Rude it wouldn't be worth the exercise buying one from the states..
I dare say the other manufactures will do similar very soon. It maybe they need to get rid of old stock first....

hi mate what dealership is offering $5000 of etec's

Jabba_
21-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Sorry mate, thats 5k for big block V6's, 200-300hp. The smaller motors are still discounted, but not as much.. All dealership should be running the same promotion.. I got my info from Evinrude dealer at Slades Marine, Paradise Point, QLD..

Carry
23-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi 610,

I have just imported 2 x 140hp suzis from the US for my new platey. I was a little concerned to begin with about spending that sort of money and importing from overseas. But it was very easy. It took me a while to find a dealer in the US that would ship engines to Australia. Eventually I found one and would definately recommend them.

PM me your email address if you would like any info. Cheers.

Splash
24-05-2011, 08:47 PM
those of you thinking about buying an outboard in Oz, read this article and the 300 odd comments attached.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/retailers-markups-under-threat-from-online-20110524-1f1g7.html

splash

Splash
27-05-2011, 02:01 PM
... and this link....

http://www.theage.com.au/business/aussies-ripped-off-by-retailers-choice-20110527-1f72l.html

Splash

Mister
28-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Quite a bit of dud info in all of the above. People must have their own reasons for this?

As an example a pair of yammie 250 4S's landed in Aus brand new in box plus some additional costs for fitting is around 35 grand $A. What's would a similar pair cost in Aus? An absolute huge difference.

So don't believe everything you hear.

webby nq
28-05-2011, 11:23 AM
My mate has a 175 suzuki on the way from the US ,for around $15000 too his door
> whats the price in oz, roughly about $21500
I know of a few lads that have imported suzukis now that have had no problems at all with importing and running problems and have saved a big chunk of money.

So theres obviously some middle man that is making a fortune with the aussie $$$ dollar the way it is and if they are still selling their quotas for the same price then they have no need to drop the prices.
Stop buying Suzukis , then they might get the picture !!

svranjic
14-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi all

For anyone still wanting to import outboards from the US but have not been able to circumvent the dealer needing to sell to a US address issue then I suggest you take a look on ebay in the US.

There are now dealer(s) selling used and new outboards - Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki and shipping worldwide. They provide a shipping quote when requested. There is one particular dealer on there who actually has a large dealership and is not just flogging off ebay so it looks legit. I dont want to name them on here for fear it might somehow be noticed and they have their dealers license removed.

Have a browse through ebay and you will find them. If not pm me and I will provide a link.

Reef Cruiser
14-06-2011, 06:53 PM
a suzuki 175 in the usa is 11990 the best i can get here is 22000 but here the warranty is 5 years and there it is 6 years ...trying to find some one there top export one ..they will do etec no probs but i dont wont one of them any thoughts would be app

Ausfish
17-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Try the UK as well as the US

http://www.outboards-direct.co.uk/

TopBhoy
19-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi all, a few questions for my 1st post.

If Australian warranty is an issue with (for example) Suzuki bought overseas....will the dealership flatly refuse to touch it or will they look at it for a price? I wouldn't have a problem in not having the warranty and to pay for work if substantial enough savings were to be made but technology as it is, there may only be tasks which could be done by the dealers. I'm thinking engine management issues, firmware upgrades, etc.

What is the situation to have a non-warranted engine serviced and maintained by the dealers? Are there other comapnies capable of conducting every task that a dealer can perform and who will provide such support?

Ausfish
20-06-2011, 05:02 PM
If you buy off the guys in the UK, they will cover the warranty. They go in to all that on their website. You can also call them if you want to.

LittleSkipper
20-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry fella's but importing an outboard motor just to save a little bit of coin is not worth the risk if the outboard arrived DOA or some other issue. The amount of Nurofen consumed would be detrimental to your health 610.

TopBhoy
21-06-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm sorry fella's but importing an outboard motor just to save a little bit of coin is not worth the risk if the outboard arrived DOA or some other issue. The amount of Nurofen consumed would be detrimental to your health 610.

Its not a little bit of coin, in many cases as some have noted, it is substantial coin. I wonder how many serious DOA cases there are? I'm guessing there are few which require serious attention but where it did, the cost saving is still considerable to make it work out cheaper to ship it back for a replacement. Granted it may be inconvenient but not much more so than if the same thing happened to locally bought. If nothing goes wrong, you're onto a winner!

LoungeLizard
22-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Can anyone tell me what the import costs are? Same as for boats ie. 10% GST + usual customs charges? How much are the wharf/customs etc?

fisho64
22-06-2011, 10:45 PM
If you buy off the guys in the UK, they will cover the warranty. They go in to all that on their website. You can also call them if you want to.

got a price off these guys for a 140 suz-same price as here (10000 pounds odd)