PDA

View Full Version : Why does EVERYONE say Quintrex's ride CRAP

robothefisho
01-05-2011, 11:14 AM
So as the title states. Why does everyone say quintrex's ride terrible. I understand build quality issues and that they do not go as well as good plate boats or glass boats.

BUT, the millenium hull Quintrex's are the BEST riding pressed tinny available bar none. They are also the driest riding pressed tinny and have excellent stability aswell.

Did people just start jumping on the band wagon or are they personal experiences after being in all the other brands aswell?

No I don't have any interest in the sale of them whatsoever. Nor would I ever buy one.

charleville
01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I certainly would not say that it is terrible. However, of course, ride comfort is a function of a number of factors, speed being one of them.

I have had a millennium hulled Quinnie for 9 years and love it. As long as I am not trying to bash my way into sharp Moreton Bay waves generated by wind against tide with excessive speed, it rides beautifully comfortable. The knife shaped hull slices cleanly through the water and the flared bow tosses the water to the sides very neatly. As such it is a very dry boat. Speed is a big factor in the hull's performance.

99% of my boating is solo so I am happy to compromise on few things to get a boat that is easy to use solo. A heavy plastic boat might give me a softer ride at speed but it might be not as easy to manipulate in a cross wind at the ramp at 2 am when helpers are scarce. Of course, I notice that with an extra man on board, the ride comfort of my Quinnie is improved - which is really what the fibre glass boats are about, isn't it? Viz heavier boats will not be tossed around on the top of the waves as much as a light boat.

Some Ausfish posts in recent years might suggest that the manufacturing quality (eg welding) of Quinnies more recent than mine may be questionable and so therefore therefore there has been some disappointment for some Quinnie owners who have paid a premium price but regard that they were not experiencing a premium product. However, my love affair with my 4.75m Quinnie has grown over the nine years that I have had it. I also find that being an aluminium boat, it s very economical to run with my 60 HP 4 stroke.

Everything in life is a compromise. Don't drive the boat at WOT and the ride will be very nice in a Quinnie, and cheap as well.

Lachie1
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Because it's easy for someone to knock what someone else has got, especially if they don't know them and to make themselves feel better about their own rig and help justify it to themselves.

Sure there may be some substance to most arguments as to what boat rides better than some other boat, but people jump on band wagons all the time, alot of the time for no reason. But thats the world we live in... As long as i can still go fishing i don't care.

Horses for courses.

Regards,

Lachie

scuttlebutt
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I've been in a couple of the larger Quins and they seemed to ride fine.

megafish71
01-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Because it's easy for someone to knock what someone else has got, especially if they don't know them and to make themselves feel better about their own rig and help justify it to themselves.

I'm don't knock them because I don't know them. I have owned one and the are crap, poorly built and handle rough conditions about as well as a ferrari would handle the telegragh track.

Jabba_
01-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Considering Quintrex spin the hype there boat are the best riding in rugged conditions, is proberbly a start... For a tinny they are great, but comparing them to a plate boat, there not so good.. Add the fact that the Quintrex welding is poor and suffer from cracking much, much more then any other plate manufacture...

Flex
01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
You have to compair apples with apples.

The millenium hull works great if your comparing small tinny's under 5m. I've been in a few and they ride great in a small chop.

When most people say the ride is crap in a quintrex they are most likely giving their opinion of the 6m+ offshore models.

In these models they aren't that flash if you "compare" them to similar size craft available in this range. In the 6m offshore model the ride is crap. The millenium hull is awesome in a half meter chop. Once you go over that the broad shoulder created by the Millinium hull causes extreme bashing. I wasnt impressed with the one I was in. but their fishing set-up is pretty damn good.
Whats more not many companies make 6+m pressed tinny's. They arent good for offshore work due to the work hardening of aluminium.

As to the millinium hull fabrication process. They prestretch the sheets in a jig to form it. Then build the boat and then release it from the jig. This in effect creates a pre-work hardend hull, this can cause premature cracking.
I know because a close family member has direct access to their plant and a bit of an expert in aluminium boat building

Toddy_again
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Considering Quintrex spin the hype there boat are the best riding in rugged conditions, is proberbly a start... For a tinny they are great, but comparing them to a plate boat, there not so good.. Add the fact that the Quintrex welding is poor and suffer from cracking much, much more then any other plate manufacture...

Well considering that there are probably as many Quinnies out there as there is every other aluminium brand combined I would say that it is relative.

Toddy

thylacene
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
We had a 540 Quinnie bowrider for 18 months before the wnech decided that she wanted shelter and a toilet. By all means the ride can be a bit rough if you are punting along into a head wind and some swell or chop, but even after buying a larger GRP hull I still have no issues recommending the same boat. It was a great first boat, relatively economical to run, held its value well, for 183 hours engine we did $500 plus service costs for the time we owned it.

Easy to load and unload, stable at rest, and the ride was OK so long as you drove to conditions. Everything is a compromise, the new boat is three times the dough and more money for running costs and a greater overhead to keep looking good, sometimes it would be nice to still have it when I go out by myself.

Its a "horses for courses approach", if you fish offshore regularly and in less than optimum conditions then the Quinny might not be your first choice, but if you only do that occasionally and spend more tiem in estuaries and rivers then they are a fantastic gadget .

As a previous owner I can't really say a bad word against them. I did read all of the posts on here that I could find using Telwater, Quintrex, Quinnie etc prior to buying it, and chose to go 5m+ to end up with the 4mm bottom. 180+ hours on South Coast NSW in ordinary conditions most of the time and still walked away from it smiling.

I have no doubt that there have been quality issues, and also that there are those who would drive them harder than they were designed for, but given the number of them on the water, they can't all be bad.

The millenium hull rides OK while you can keep the nose down, but up on the plane, they are running on the section of the hull with least deadrise, and being alloy, they are light enough to "launch" of the swell and land hard due to the large flat surface. Our new hull slaps in some instances as well, the 21 degree deadrise does land much softer than the quinnie, but the hull also weighs twice as much and the boat is a metre longer.

I think the biggest problem that Quintrex have is people purchasing a hull that is not designed for the conditions they intend to fish in, whether their decision is based on dollars, looks or a lack of research. For many who fish down our way, the Quinnie gets a guernsey based on tow weight and convenience, and we regularly see these guys 20K's offshore, and they pick their days. A 490 is still small enough to be towed by a four cylinder vehicle.

When we upgraded it was a costly exercise, as the tow vehicle had to be larger, then engine had to be larger, and the running costs went up also.

Statistically I would suggest that the issues experienced are relative based on our experience.

Of course, some people just aren't happy unless they have something to whinge about.

marty666
01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Owned one and got rid of it, small chop of bramble bay was pain full good if you are in smooth water and easy to tow. But they are also an afordable price so that is probly why there are so many of them.

robothefisho
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Good to hear there are happy owners out there. I was just very curious as to everyones genuine opinion on them.

Dignity
01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
I have a 4.2 Dory which is reasonable but into a chop it is a bit lumpy. The problem I have is the motor sits a little too low and I need to be able to lift another hole but there isn't one there to be able to do this and to drill another hole in the transom is not an option. I think the transom is just a little shorter than it should be by about 20 -25 mm which would make all the difference as the cav plate is a bit below the water when on the plane and I would love to have it just on the surface as it supposed to be.

The build quality is pretty poor compared to other tinnies I have seen around the boat yards here and I have noticed that the price of comparable tinnies are coming down but not the quinnies.

D river
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I like the ride but the build quality is shit and they are way over priced for what they are especially the larger 1's. I own an old quiny 3.9 sportsman 1973 model n it'll prob be still around longer than the new 1's

Muddy Toes
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
I owned a 5.3mtr coast runner for 4 years and loved it.Great bay boat but not a real smooth ride offshore.Why?Because it was not built for it.That didn't stop me from taking it off shore but.The material it was made from, the nearly non existent deadrise and the weight of the boat all contributed to its rough ride offshore but those same qualities were the ones that made it a good bay boat.The exact purpose that the boat was built for.

When i was looking to upgrade i ended up talking to the Queensland sales rep at the time and informed him that i was looking for a 6mtr+ boat for mostly offshore work.His response was that Quintrex did not make a boat that was designed as a pure offshore fishing boat and there was probably nothing in the range that would cater for my needs.He went on to explain that (in his opinion) i should be looking at a fiberglass or plate boat if i was serious about offshore fishing.This included the 'offshore' models.
He also said that Quintrex were more than capable of building such a boat to cater for the needs of offshore fisherman but would it be as light as a Quinnie?No.Would it be as cheap as a Quinnie?No.Would it be as easy to handle as a Quinnie?No.And that is not the market we cater for.He said they build boats to be light, easily handled, appealed to the majority of the boating public and not specific groups of users and most of all they wanted their boats to be cost effective compared to similar boats in similar classes with similar fit outs.
So when it comes down to comparing apples to apples i reakon this bloke hit the nail on the head.It may be the name Quintrex or its popularity through out the years but it seems people are willing to use these boats beyond their intended purposes, but in return are quick to complain when they don't perform as well as the same size boat made of a different material.I'll say it again....i loved mine and if i was to ever down size and wanted a pressed tinny it would be a Quinnie for sure.
Cheers MT

captain rednut
01-05-2011, 11:22 PM
if its a flared bow model i beleive they are a great choice. mines a 1996 model 4.35 broadwater and its very dry and a comfortable ride, i use mine to fish offshore for pelagics and feel safe.
cheers cr

Mangrove Man
02-05-2011, 02:42 AM
As to the millinium hull fabrication process. They prestretch the sheets in a jig to form it. Then build the boat and then release it from the jig. This in effect creates a pre-work hardend hull, this can cause premature cracking.
I know because a close family member has direct access to their plant and a bit of an expert in aluminium boat building

Yeah the bottom sheets, chines, gunnels, side sheets were tacked together and the transom tacked on in the jig upside down, then it was passed along to get spread and hull welded and then over to have the transom tigged up. Flipped over and pressure tested then sent through to get the floor and side ribs welded in after being marked out, spread again and balanced up. Front deck, rear deck and side deck added then the floor gussets and seat and tank positions or thwarts depending on whether it was an open or runabout style. Side pockets and again depending on the style a cabin may have been added, then bow and side rails, bollards ect and any other parts that may have been optioned up.. After that it was sent to the cleaners then on to painshop and finally fitout.

Have missed a few things but that is how they used to go through when i was working at the factory many moons ago and i was fortunate enough to be able to do the lot ranging from the tenders through to the 6.5 mtr offshore model.

Richo1
02-05-2011, 07:16 AM
I have a 98 Quintrex explorer 3.85m, have owned it from new and it has been a great boat. Handles really well and no faults, it has started to crack in a few places but that is from years of heavy use - dirt roads and rough conditions with a heavy load. Has developed electrolysis in the hull which I blame on my dodgy home wiring of bilge pumps, lights etc - still has not eating through the hull and has no leaks.
Tinnys are tinnys and will be rough and uncomfortable in certain sea conditions.
I have had a great run with Quintrex and would consider above other makes if buying a new tinny.
Cheers

NAGG
02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
As has been mentioned - every boat is a compromise ........ My first boat was a 1994 5.35M Reef raider CC - I bought it new in place of a Sportfish 5.0M CC ..... the extra beam & length made it a good cheaper alternative . I absolutely flogged this boat towing up to the Whitsundays a couple of times (from Sydney) & many times down to Bermagui / Narooma or SWR - These locations involved either long runs offshore or bar crossings ....... some pretty horrible / hairy conditions at times too - but well driven it got me back every time over around 7 years ........... The boat was a joy to use & handle on my own .
Yes - I split the hull once but a 10" weld & the boat was fine - for the next few years .
I've had mates get rid of their plate boats because they couldn't handle a following sea - I've seen glass boats broach badly & nearly throw the crew out of the boat (incl the skipper) ........ so many boats have good points but also have faults - I'm yet to go in any boat that is the best of everything.

But back to Quinnys - I bought a second one (480 Hornet) & in that style of boat ( & I had a ride in many alternatives) The Hornet won hands down.

Chris

sharkymark2
02-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Dont all light aluminium boats slap under the right conditions? I remember looking at a boat at a homeshow and fell in lust with it. The salesman wanted me to sign up straight away but I wanted to water test it before forking out $15000. They agreed to hold the price till I water tested it. They wanted $500 swiped on a c/card before they would take me out but when I turned up in the wifes BMW they didn't bother. Man that boat looked so pretty. Out we went with the wife sitting next to the motor and then it all started... the broadwater is very sheltered and gets a little choppy but nothing like from Coochie up but the boat was going slap slap; the spray was being thrown back on my wife..poor thing. Didn't buy the boat. I looked for other horizons. I had at that time a little 12.5' shallow draft light fibreglass boat with a 25 hp on the back that handled better than the other 4.35 m boat. Less slap no spray. I ended up with a boat that was much heavier in f/glass put a new 60hp 4 stroke yamaha on it and love it....but later I bought a 4.4 stessel eco hull with a 40 yamaha to do my crabbing calm water and lure fishing from. Different boats for different apps.

johncar
02-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Back in 1998 I bought a pre millenium hull design Quintrex 560 legend centre console, as a fill in boat so to speak in between selling my HH680 and ordering a SF 6.0 Victory.
I went everywhere offshore in the Quinnie up to 100m depth off Moreton Is over a two year period in rough and calm conditions and I actually liked the boat. Sure I had to drive a bit slower at times but I could push along nice and steady and it always felt safe and in control with a decent ride being economical to run.
Drive a boat according to its design and sea conditions.
Not sure why they went with the millenium hull but I think it was a backward step for an off shore boat but they may have been more interested in the inshore user market where they possibly deal with small chop OK.
Horses for courses I guess and Quintrex built up a good name in past years so it's a bit surprising and sad that they are drawing some bad goss lately.

Seahaven
02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Bought my second hand 4.75 Bay Hunter Caprice 3 years ago. Had a Merc 50HP 4ST on board.
Ride was okay but not thrilling. Power was average with 3 up so I went to the top of the power range and fitted a 75hp Opti.
Heavier, yes by a long way but now with more power it takes the load and, more importantly, the added transom weight seems to have produced a way better ride.
Confortable even for offshore on a good day.

Mark

siegfried
02-05-2011, 07:10 PM
So as the title states. Why does everyone say quintrex's ride terrible. I understand build quality issues and that they do not go as well as good plate boats or glass boats.

BUT, the millenium hull Quintrex's are the BEST riding pressed tinny available bar none. They are also the driest riding pressed tinny and have excellent stability aswell.

Did people just start jumping on the band wagon or are they personal experiences after being in all the other brands aswell?

No I don't have any interest in the sale of them whatsoever. Nor would I ever buy one.
Because they do..simple

mylestom
02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Well have had eight boats, two Quinnies and no problems with either. Would I buy another one, yes.
Mine weren't big boats but served the purpose that they were intended for.
Didn't even advertise my last one for sale, had it for nine years and had eight different people ask me if I was selling it, when I bought my new boat.
Had intended to keep, but the offers were too good.

finding_time
02-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Considering Quintrex spin the hype there boat are the best riding in rugged conditions, is proberbly a start... ..

Jabba.

As the self appointed Ausfish appologist for E-tecs i find your above statement simply amazing!!!!! :o :o ::)

Ian

And on the Quintrex issue....Well offshore there crap but so is every other pressed aluminium boat so they have plenty of company!;)

Jabba_
03-05-2011, 05:34 AM
I was wondering when you were going to have a shot at me...

I dont write the stuff for E-tec, I just simply like them, and like them a lot.