PDA

View Full Version : hydrolic v electric v smart tabs

marty666
30-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I have been toying with the idea of putting tabs on the new boat. I like the look of bennet m80 tabs with the auto control but my question is i saw the smart tabs on ebay which are nitrogen shockabsorber type and was wondering if any one are using them and are they any good.

The price of them are very well priced if they work but before taking a drill to my brand new boat i want to make sure i bought the right thing first dont want to have to do the job twice

Duckfish
30-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Definately go the Bennets. My brother-in-law has the Lencos and not happy with them. The switch harness has been a pain in the rear and is giving trouble again. It intermittently is not working and he has replaced the switch assembly already. It appears to be the housing assembly where the wiring harness fits in. My Bennets have been good so far after 7-8 years. The switch assembly is more robust and less wires to worry about.
Duckfish

tenzing
30-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Definately go the Bennets. My brother-in-law has the Lencos and not happy with them. The switch harness has been a pain in the rear and is giving trouble again. It intermittently is not working and he has replaced the switch assembly already. It appears to be the housing assembly where the wiring harness fits in. My Bennets have been good so far after 7-8 years. The switch assembly is more robust and less wires to worry about.
Duckfish
I'd second that.
It is probably worth taking a good slow read through the other discussion currently going on about tab placement. Some good info to digest and a few different approaches.
Cheers
Brendan

marty666
30-04-2011, 09:09 PM
yeah i like the bennetts because of the auto control box. I dont really want to have to remember to set the tabs all the time but i found these smart tabs that basicly have a shockie on them so you dont have to do any thing with them and they are a 1/4 of the price. was wondering if any one has them

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Smart-Tabs-Trim-Tabs-SX-Series-SX9510-60-60-140-HP-/250727600814?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a608792ae

thylacene
30-04-2011, 10:19 PM
yeah i like the bennetts because of the auto control box. I dont really want to have to remember to set the tabs all the time but i found these smart tabs that basicly have a shockie on them so you dont have to do any thing with them and they are a 1/4 of the price. was wondering if any one has them

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Smart-Tabs-Trim-Tabs-SX-Series-SX9510-60-60-140-HP-/250727600814?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a608792ae

I am going through the same decision making process and have done quite a bit of research on the various options available. From my limited understanding, the "smart tabs" have some risk associated with them when used offshore where you are likely to experience "following seas" contributing to a "bow down" attitude coming down the face of a wave. I have eliminated them from consideration, but if you are estuaries and rivers only they may be fine.

Lenco tabs have recently re-designed the switch housing and connections, so new ones should not experience the same issues those with the earlier switch setups have. Many speak well of this product, and it is interesting that Lenco offer replacement kits for those with Bennetts fitted. Details on the new switch setup can be found here and it has and auto retract feature. http://www.lencomarine.com/Resources/Switches_specs.pdf

Bennetts seem to have a long term reputation as good gear, but also for oil leaks, and providing an additional challenge in terms of more componentry and the need to route hydraulic lines, being a bit more challenging. Bennets offer the auto control feature that I find appealing, as wind list is my major issue, causing me to get a sore back when travelling. The web site is here http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/trimtabkits_pnfilter.php?PN=3

Lectro tabs seem to be reasonably new to the market, and there is little in the way of negative feedback or problems discussed online. Details of these can be found here [URL="http://www.lectrotab.com/[/URL]

The most attractive option I have seen is the QL Trim Tabs made by Volvo. These appeal due to the compact nature of the actuators. I have spoken with a couple of guys who have these fitted who reckon they work fine. My challenge is that it would require me to cut large holes in the floor to do the install. The appeal is the low profile design reducing the chances of fouling or cutting lines while fishing. QL Tabs have an auto option but it is very pricey. There is a story of a problem and resolution here http://www.wafishaman.com/content/ql-trim-tabs-2 and an informative website is here http://www.great-water.com/pages/QL/QL_Trim_Sys.htm

I am sure that there are forum members here that can contribute far more with personal experiences, but living in our landlocked capital, exposure to other saltwater boaties is limited, so I research and ask stupid questions a lot.

Our setup is a 6.3m caribbean reef runner, so if someone else has done it on one of these I'd love to hear from them.

Cheers

Thy

Angla
30-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Thylecene is on the money with the smart tabs. I put a set on my 575 Outsider and found them to be a great addition until it came to a biggish following sea where they forced the bow down when coming down the face of a swell which in turn caused me to broach. Heaps of power was the only way to keep this safe. I took them off and replaced with Bennetts and the indicator panel and just love them.

If you stay in the bay and rivers the Smart tabs would be a cheap but well performing alternative.
Cheers
Chris

Chimo
01-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Good work Thylacene!

I have basic no indicator, non auto retract Lenco tabs and have had them on for some years now. Never had any issues, one learns quickly how to use them and as they have flat bottom plates they are easy to fit (esp for Seafarer) and forget except when you need them.

Cheers
Chimo

scuttlebutt
01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I had the basic bennetts on my last boat and they were great. People make a big deal about position indicators but in reality you're adjusting until the boat acts how you want it, not on how many lights come on. I don't think smart tabs allow you to level a leaning boat which is half the benefit of tabs in the first place.

Getout
02-05-2011, 07:16 AM
I second that. The whole point of having tabs is to achieve optimum trim. I am constantly adjusting mine to allow for wind strength and boatspeed.

johncar
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I have used Lectrotab on 3 boats with no problems (touch wood)
and on my current boat too.
I like their fast reaction time over the hydraulic instatrim system I had previously although the hydraulic system was trouble free too.

I guess I favour the Electric system because it is simpler to install and maintain and it reacts faster as in a momentary touch of the button makes a noticable difference. I also don't mind the bit of mechanical noise they make as I know when they are operating.

leezor
02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
My vote is for Bennets, had a set of Lenco electrics a few years back, returned them for warranty a few months later (water logged actuator) and it took ages for them tho come back.
Next boat had Bennets and never had an issue.

Micadogs
03-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I have Lenco's fitted for a year now, have worked great all the time. I choose them for the easier installation and did it myself. Never had bennetts so cant comment. Regards Adam

ozscott
03-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I love my Bennetts and the fact that their backup is just incredible - often replacing bits and bobs well after warranty. I see on the Tabman's thread in the US (the hull truth) that they often replace things 10-20 years down the track for people who are not even the first owners...

Cheers

wrxhoon
03-05-2011, 08:25 PM
This is my second boat with Lencos, not a problem , the boat is 6 years old.
I have the LED indicators and they self retract as well.

devendiva
04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I have a set of QL tabs on my 6m platey. They work great. No issues in two years so far. They are fast acting, very easy to use, self retracting etc. Would definitely recommend them. Mine were factory fitted, but only downside for me would be putting them on an existing boat - you need to cut pretty big holes in your transom (over an inch from memory)

Chris