PDA

View Full Version : Murray Cod

B_E_N
29-04-2011, 01:52 PM
the next native on the 'to do' list for me, but not knowing the when and wheres i think i need a kick in the right direction.

so if you were planning a 'cod trip' where would you go and when.

mikooh
29-04-2011, 07:02 PM
If you want to catch a big one Copeton dam near Inverell is a good starting point, but it could take many trips before you find a goodun.

If you just want to catch a cod try to get on to a patch of one of the border rivers (Severn etc) with a canoe or yak, and you will generally catch more fish, just mainly 50 to 70cm models with the occasional big girl.

bout now is always a good time

Barry Ehsman
29-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Agree with mikooh...Spot on mate

Cheers baz

Bear001
29-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Ditto for you northerners

B_E_N
29-04-2011, 10:39 PM
cheers for the info.

not worried about getting the big one 'just' yet. the feeder rivers would be more my style, plus it gives me somewhere to start searching, big/trophy fish should be earnt not spoon fed to ya

they seem to be more active at the moment in northern NSW and southern QLD, will this continue through the cooler months until spring?

greg30
02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Glenlyon is the go as well give the second week in september a thought it will fire up about then . Greg30

wamjam
02-05-2011, 07:53 PM
cheers for the info.

not worried about getting the big one 'just' yet. the feeder rivers would be more my style, plus it gives me somewhere to start searching, big/trophy fish should be earnt not spoon fed to ya

they seem to be more active at the moment in northern NSW and southern QLD, will this continue through the cooler months until spring?

No such thing as spoon fed trophy cod. If you can get one from good advise, take it.;) Cod activity through winter does slow right down. I must be getting slack because I don't really give them a go through winter these days.

Scott

2manylures
03-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Only one place to catch your first cod champ, The Mighty Murray8-)

wamjam
04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Only one place to catch your first cod champ, The Mighty Murray8-)

I no its not necessary to go that far from Brissy to catch your first cod.
If your keen to get your first cod, PM me, as it starts to warm up ;) .

Scott

poddy mullet
05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Glenlyon is the go as well give the second week in september a thought it will fire up about then . Greg30
Closed Season??

Andrew M
05-05-2011, 10:41 AM
No closed season in QLD dams, only on the border rivers below the dam.

Cheers Andrew

greg30
07-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote thers is no closed season in glenlyon for cod i have this straight from brian himself eveywhere els is closed bar the dam cheers

rabbi
07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
You might catch the tail end of it before the cold sets in but from this point on they just roll over and float to the top.
Try the dams in summer before they let the water out as they tend to go a bit dead when the irrigation outflow begins or when they back off the flow and the dam settles again.
With the amount of restocking going on you can get small models in most rivers in northern NSW.
Not sure how the border river fish coped with the huge floods a while back.
I still reckon Copetons a great dam under the right conditions.
I have relatives who live at Inverell and they have been doing extremely well with cod this season fishing from the shoreline.

cheers, steve