PDA

View Full Version : 565R Project

Blane11
27-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time but posted very little, I've had a project going for a while now and was hoping to have it finished before I posted anything up, but its dragging on so I thought I'd put something up now in the hope it encourages me to get things moving along faster.

The boat in question is a Haines 565R. A previous owner had played with it to some degree, and I went in knowing there was a bit of work to be done to get it to a point I was happy with, but as always one thing led to another and before I knew it, every bit of timber has been replaced.........well almost.

After disposing of all the bits I didn't want, the price of the boat came down to under $3k, so with the idea that I could learn to work with fibreglass it all began.

If there is any questions, ask away...........I know I picked the brains of ALOT of people before before I actually did any work myself.

If there is any interest I'll continue to add to the thread over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Brett

Blane11
27-04-2011, 05:55 PM
First the Cab came off......it actually came up to about chest height when not bending over trying to get under it.

Then work started on the Transom. While not completely rotten, there was water in there, so thinking it would only take a few months to do everything I cut the back end off.

A great deal of thought was put into this, and if I should go from the inside or outside. I decided on this way because I wanted a big clean area to work, and avoid the hassle of remaking or sticking the outside skin back on.

Getting the wet ply out without damaging the outside skin was a nightmare, and I would certainly think hard about doing things differently next time.

A quick tidy up after all the wood was out, and I cut 2 sheets of ply and glassed them together.

Blane11
27-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Okay, as you can see the transom now sits 5 inches higher.

The next picture I got carried away and removed some of the floor before I really needed to because it was a little spongy. All this did was make it a little harder to walk around......a silly mistake.

After numerous phone calls and some pictures emailed to me by an extremely knowledgeable person, I made the decision that if I could fibreglass, then surely welding isn't that difficult.............So I welded up some homemade clamps and used some large bolts that were lying around to make what you see in the picture.

What you can't see is that on the outside is another thick layer that was used to ensure the outside skin remained completely flat once clamped up. I'll be honest and say the welds were not the prettiest, but they held for the job at hand. I don't think I'll be welding anything in the near future that needs any sort of structural integrity.

Blane11
27-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Now glassing.................

A few practice attempts were done, and once I felt confident enough, and the weather played the game, I went for it.

You can see in the pictures I made a mouse hole in the centre of the transom, where the large bung will be installed.

Nathan Tuskes
27-04-2011, 06:22 PM
looking good so far, how long has it taken so far? my haines 146 rebuild has just started to blow out time wise, im way over doing stuff now, i should of kept with the KISS principal.....

BigE
27-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Nice
keep em comming ....... i love projects

Blane11
27-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Kiss principle??

It's been roughly a year since I actually started working on it. Unfortunately for me it's located half an hour away at my parents. So I don't get to work on it during the week. I'll hopefully be putting the floor down in the next couple of weeks but things never go to plan.

Brett

Nathan Tuskes
27-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Keep It Simple Stupid,
yer im in the same boat(pun intented:P) mine lives half an hour away aswell. Sometime you just stare at it just wondering where to attack it next, this is the painful bit....

HH565L
27-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Great work Brett, it's coming along nicely.

I remember seeing this 565R advertised for sale approx 12-14 months ago.

Blane11
27-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks, thats the one, the guy gave a great rundown of all the bad points so I roughly knew what needed to be done. I figured by doing the work myself I'd hopefully keep the costs down and learn something at the same time. At the end of the day it was in poor condition.

The motor went straight onto someone elses boat and hasn't skipped a beat.

murf
28-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I was lucky when I got my Nova 5m as someone else had done all the glassing but I still want to mod the transom and build a top/windscreen so am interested in these threads for any hints and tricks

keep up the posts :)

cheers Murf

Blane11
28-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I wish someone had done all the hard work for me before I bought it!!!!

I've made the side panels for the wave breaker out of multiple layers of glass, and ended up going WAY overboard (Even had the wife rolling the resin into the glass for this). The front panels will be slightly different when I get around to them, but to keep everything flat and try to minimize the amount of sanding I laid them up on a sheet of form board, then just after it had gone off I applied a small amout of pressure to the edge of the board bending it slightly. The new glass panel just popped right off leaving it almost perfectly flat.

Once I've done all the panels I'll join them and add the lip that runs around the top edge to finish it all off before painting.

Ok, back to the next picture.......

Here I was part way through replacing the stringers........I was continually distracted, getting frustrated with one part and wanting to start something else before finishing the first.

The braces between the stringers are not glassed in, they are just sitting there, and after many discussions they are being left out.

I was concerned about removing all the stringers and having the hull change shape sitting on the trailer, so I ended up only doing a single stringer at a time. It would have been so much easier to rip everything out and do everything in one massive go, but as I'm doing it myself I had to compromise.

The square bit of ply is for under the floor, and will be used if I ever decide to make some sort of seat boxes etc. At the moment I don't plan on having any seating but at least the extra strength is there if I do change my mind.

The stringers at the front have also been raised, so it will be a flat floor all the way through with storage in front of the fuel tank cavity.

I haven't taken a huge number of pictures, but if anyone has any requests of things they'd like to see I'd be happy to take some when I'm out there next.

Cheers

Brett

Blane11
28-04-2011, 06:35 PM
In this picture all the main stringers have been completed. I was half way through glassing the centre stringer. The storage box in front of the fuel tank cavity is clearly visible. Its actually larger than it looks.

Getting that centre stringer out was worse than the transom. Wet but not rotten. I was paranoid about slipping and cutting through the hull. I got there eventually.

All I need to do is a few more fiddly bits before the floor goes down. Then things will speed up, as nothing can be as bad as what I've already done. (Ignoring the prep work for making it look nice)

I still need to make a decision on whether to foam fill or not...........everybody seems to have their own theory. I've even contemplated laying black plastic between the stringers, pouring the foam and after its set, lifting it out so it retains the desired shape. Then Plane/grind each side slighty and using some sort of epoxy sealer to make sure it never absorbs water.............or I might leave the foam for another project boat a LONG time in the future.

Cheers

Brett

HH565L
28-04-2011, 08:15 PM
The braces between the stringers are not glassed in, they are just sitting there, and after many discussions they are being left out.

Brett, can I ask why you decided to leave those braces out?

Coming along very nicely BTW.

Regards,
Spiro

Blane11
28-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Spiro, there were a number of reasons. Firstly there was the question of whether or not they're really required. There is more glass in this thing than when it left the factory. It 'should' be strong enough without them.

Another reason, although not significant is the time saving. Bogging them in and glassing as well as cutting them to fit perfectly, wow I can't believe I already prepared them for one side. They are made from 2 bits of 19mm ply epoxied together, so much time to get them exact.

I've also wondered if it would make it too rigid, potentially resulting in the hull splitting rather then flexing. This point seemed to bring out the most varied opinions.

Lastly I was told about how these braces can sometimes result in visible marks on the hull. I didn't really want this. I'm still open to thoughts on this up until the floor goes down.

matt fraser
29-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for posting your project here, its always good to read about how people tackle their project.

I agree that getting that centre stringer out from up the front is the biggest nightmare so far.

I'm keen to hear which way you go with the foam filling, as I'm just behind you with my project, and have the same decision to make.

Sometimes more time is spent looking at the boat, trying to work out what to do next rather than working on it.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

Cheers,

Matt

matt fraser
04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Brett,

I've decided to go ahead with the foam filling, I found some that is $150 for 8kg which will expand to about 8 cubic feet, and then can be cut/sanded back and glassed over to seal before putting the floor on top.

Also if you are in the Brisbane area, I'd love to borrow your clamps to do my transom. Just about ready to go there, just deciding on ply or corecell A?

Cheers,

Matt

Blane11
04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm still undecided about the foam but the more I think about it the more I think I should do it.

I thought long and hard about what to use in the transom and stringers and ended up going with ply. Not only is it cheap and made better than it was 20 years ago, I'm not planning on keeping the boat for 15 years so a ply transom was good enough for me.

I'm two hours south of Brisbane but if you really wanted to use the clamps your more than welcome to. My parents are going up next weekend so getting them up there isn't a problem if you can wait a week. If you pm your number I can give you a call to work it out.

I did a bit of glassing on the weekend but didn't take any pics. I'll get some more this weekend.

Cheers

Brett

deckie
05-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Great job so far Brett. Tx for posting the progress. Until now i dint think anyone could possibly make one look crappy...but looks like the previous owner had a real good shot at it with that cab...just to avoid a bit of water ::)

By the sounds you're at that point when you cant quite see the full results of all the work so far ...but you've done much of the hard yards already and she's gonna be magggnificent, even better than the pictures in your head of how she'll look.

What did it have on the back when u got it ? Plenty were underpowered i reckon...u still see many with 115's on the back which i think was pretty common out of the factory, but think 150+, preferably 175. You can even go more but the best riding 565 hull i've been on was a 565L with a 175...just works well on them i reckon. Still the the best looking trailerboat ever produced in oz.

Blane11
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks Deckie,

I think once the floor finally goes down, it will all speed up from there. So much work preparing surfaces and making things fit perfect before you glass. The actual glassing isn't that bad compared to the preparation.

The person I bought it off said it had the cab on it when he purchased it, and it did have a 115hp on it.

It didn't seem too underpowered (I'm no expert though), however that was 1 up, 10L of fuel, nothing else on board and only in the river. I don't want to be shooting any bars without enough get up and go.

I had been setting my sights on a 140hp Suzuki, or something around the 150hp mark. I hadn't really considered anything above that, mainly due to cost, but as I'll be putting a newish 2nd hand motor on, it will depend on what comes up at the time.

Cheers

Brett

Blane11
08-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I thought I should post an update of whats been happening with this project.

For various reasons I haven't been able to put any decent time into it up until a few weeks ago..........with the past weekend seeing half on the floor finally go in, the remainder will hopefully go in this coming weekend.

The pictures speak for themselves, but I'm happy to answer any questions......enjoy..

Brett

http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

Blane11
08-08-2011, 01:55 PM
A few more Pictures

Jarrah Jack
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't mind a dollar for every time you've got in and out of that boat by the end Blaine. Thanks for the update.

Blane11
08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Well you'd be a rich man if that was the case. I'm at the point where I can actually see results so it's got me motivated.

As well I've been told by my wife that it needs to be sorted asap. I don't think she likes me using the rubber ducky to go chase snapper off ballina, or maybe she wants me to spend more time with her??

I have decided to let someone else do the cosmetic repairs and prep it for painting so I need to get stuck in and have it ready for them. Only the top deck will be painted and the transom area.

Well that's the plan, I'm hoping the hand it over in the next month.

matt fraser
08-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Getting there Brett......... not much to go to get that floor down now. I'm sure momentum will pick up from there.

What is the 4th pic (on the floor)?

Cheers,

Matt

Apollo
09-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Top effort Brett. Keep the reports and photos coming along.

Steve

Blane11
09-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi Matt, the fourth picture is of the floor section that went into the underfloor storage area. I had to fit the bungs, then traced around them and used a router so they sit slightly below that floor level. This way I don't have a lip there and any water should drain completely with the bungs removed. I hope I am talking about the same picture.

Oh I didn't end up foam filling either. I did want to but didn't quite get there.

matt fraser
09-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Ok, I can see it now, good idea to have them recessed, a lot of people wouldn't take the time.

Is that a fuel tank I can see in that 4th shot too? will that be running up the middle? if so, just wondering where your filler and breathers are located..I'm just trying to work out where is the best place to have my filler tube located - at the rear, or out the side to a side deck filler.

So many things to work out as you go......

Matt

Blane11
09-08-2011, 10:18 AM
It's actually an oil talk for a hydraulic ram that clamps end plates onto railway sleepers to stop them from splitting. Just another item in the shed that was made, never needed and never used ha ha.

The filler and breather was at the rear of the centre cavity straight up through the floor. I'm leaning towards running the same set up but cutting a couple of rings to glass on the top of the floor. Hopefully that way the water on the floor will have to be an inch deep before it try's to make it's way down into the cavity. Obviously I will seal it as well. I didn't like the idea of cutting holes in the stringers to run the line over to the side of the boat.

The actual filler was in the motor well, which was ok as all the hoses were out of view but easy to get to.

Too many decisions to make!!

Blane11
09-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Here's another couple of pictures I found on my phone. One is the glassed underside of a section of floor, scuffed up ready to go in and the other is the first bit actually stuck in.

Blane11
09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I found a couple more pictures once I started looking....First picture shows a few bits before glassing.
And after glassing them in.

Blane11
09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
So I flowcoated under the 'underfloor storage compartment' (still haven't decided what it will be used for) but mixed up WAY too much as it was my first batch ever. I ended up having to use it so with the floor up I thought it would be a good idea to do between the stringers. At first I started just in the bottom corners, where I'd expect water to sit if it does, or when it does get in there.

I just kept going until it was all used. I didn't do a great deal of reseach on this, so I hope I haven't made some fundamental mistake by doing it.

Just a close up before glassing. The underside of the bulkhead/brace where the water flows was pre glassed prior to bogging and glassing the lot in.

Another trial fitting of the floor. The large floor section that went up under the nose was the biggest pain to cut. I took measurements from the center stringer out to the edge of the hull in 10cm increments. I even used a bit of ply knowing that the top of the ply had to be wider than the bottom edge due to the angle of the hull. Well after being so bloody careful it was too small with way to much gap all the way around.

I thought I'd be able to recover from that by cutting the front off slightly and sliding the whole lot forward............I WISH!!!!

In the end I traced the bit that didn't fit, then drew freehand around where I thought it should go. Cut it out, adjusted the edges and dropped it in for a perfect fit..............couldn't believe it.

And for something a bit different, here is my inbetween boat. She has a 25hp Mercury on the back and can be quite a handful. A mate welded up the speargun rack and rod holders on the back for a carton of beer. It does the job but it certainly is NOT comfortable to travel in, and can be a bit wet!!!!

The best bit is the motor and boat fit in the back of my hilux (deflated of course) for a go anywhere, beach launch capable package. I'll be sad to see her go.

matt fraser
09-08-2011, 10:49 PM
The filler and breather was at the rear of the centre cavity straight up through the floor. I'm leaning towards running the same set up but cutting a couple of rings to glass on the top of the floor. Hopefully that way the water on the floor will have to be an inch deep before it try's to make it's way down into the cavity. Obviously I will seal it as well. I didn't like the idea of cutting holes in the stringers to run the line over to the side of the boat.

The actual filler was in the motor well, which was ok as all the hoses were out of view but easy to get to.

Too many decisions to make!!

I think I will go with the rear filler too. Either the well, or out to the side near the transom, if I have the room to plumb it.

Its looking good in the pics,

Cheers,

Matt

Blane11
16-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Finally got the floor in.......more to come

matt fraser
17-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Well done, I can appreciate how good it must feel to reach that milestone. How much glass have you got on it?

Cheers,

Matt

Jarrah Jack
18-08-2011, 09:08 AM
A mate has one of those surf rescue inflatables with a 25 on the back and they are scary as. Nobody wants to ride up the front with him any more.

Blane11
18-08-2011, 01:42 PM
At present there is just the strips around the outside, tomorrow I'll give the whole lot a good clean and lay all the glass this weekend.

Planning on just using 2 layers of 450csm at a minimum. The jury is still out, but from what I can find it seems to be enough. I'm actually getting a little paranoid about the extra weight of the boat from the materials I've used. I probably have nothing to worry about when I factor in the glass and wood that has been removed and replaced, but on another post on the forum someone said they should need 3 drums of polyester resin to do a transom, stringers and floor........well I've used way more then that.

There isn't alot out there in the way of second hand motors with low hours at the moment. Quite a few in the 115hp range, but I'm going bigger then that, and it really is slim pickings.

Anyway, I'll throw some more pictures up over the weekend.

matt fraser
18-08-2011, 10:47 PM
She'd be a pretty light job if they only used 3 drums for that much work. After using four drums I still hadn't finished stringers (but I did build a plank as well, and glass that in). I ended up buying a 220l drum, as it worked out cheaper than 7 x 20 litre drums, and I reckon I'd use that much.

I just bought my third roll of 450 mat today as well.

Personally I'd whack down 3 or 4 layers of 450 on the floor. Two layers still has a bit of give in it I reckon.

I've been looking for late model 115 four strokes, but they are pretty rare, and they are asking a fair bit for them - Not much less than a new one.

Matt

Blane11
22-08-2011, 05:20 PM
So after a weekend of sanding, vacuuming, wiping down and glassing the floor is finally in.......

There is still a long way to go, but no where near the work that has been done already.

Blane11
12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Project Update..................so after waiting for the rain to stop so I could tow the boat, I finally got it moved to where it will be finished off.

While I'm excited about getting in finished, I'm still somewhat disappointed I won't be finishing it myself. If I had room to do it where I'm living, it would be a different story.

The motor well has been put back in, with the existing moulded seats removed. I am still just able to squeeze batteries under back, but I gained some valuable fishing room.

The existing recessed areas either side of the motor well have been cut and shut, creating a nice step for getting in and out, plus its a good spot to sit when gearing up for spearfishing.

Here the panels for the wavebreaker are being measured, and a cardboard template for a bulkhead. The position of the steering wheel is also being moved a little higher.

I have to say I'm extremely happy with the quality of work done so far, and was impressed when I received a progress report in PDF form emailed to me at the end of the first week, with photos and details of the work to date, along with the cost.

The motor search continues, without a great deal of luck.........if anyone out there has a low hours, 140 to 175 motor (4 stroke or Opti) and is looking to trade, I'd be extremely interested in talking.

Enjoy,

Brett

hallcomp01
12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey Blane, my experiance with the 565 is don't go lower than 150.. These things love power and handle it with grace.. One of the best hulls going.. Well done with your project mate..

Blane11
12-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks, your certainly not the first person to tell me i might need to increase my power choice. I'm not after a rocket ship but was hoping to get away with a 140 Suzuki. Maybe I should be looking at a 150 yamaha, I'm just not sure, it's a big expense and I only want to do it once and do it right.

Either way there doesn't seem to be much in the 150 to 200hp second hand market at the moment. I'm just trying to be patient.

Blane11
12-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Ok a bit of an update........The wavebreaker has been completed, with a flange added to the inside edge so it can be bolted to the top deck, this way it will be completely removable for the couple of times a year that the family will be coming with me.

I'll end up getting a windscreen for it so the kids can see where we're going. At the moment the breaker is about chest height on me.

The last picture is the side pockets being layed up prior to being glassed in. All thats left to do now is prep the top deck for painting, paint the top deck and flowcoat the inside. Then comes the the fitting out, including the 2011 140 Suzuki I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

If all goes to plan I'll be on the water before Christmas.

Cheers

Brett

Blane11
20-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

Another update............I'll let the pictures do the talking.....

Jarrah Jack
20-10-2011, 08:21 PM
I like what you've done to those transom seats. Total waste of space those things. I had a 175 on my 565L and a mate had a 200 on his. Pure bliss coming in from the shelf with the sun setting in calm conditions, at WOT!

Thanks for the pics, you must be itching to get it in the water.

Blane11
20-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks, itching is a bit of an understatement. Once I get it back I still have to flowcoat the inside and tidy up a few bits and pieces.

Those seats were a waste of space but after they were removed I realized the gap they left was slightly larger than I'd thought. The bilge well sticks out a bit further and now I'll make up a cover so no one puts their foot down there while fishing.

matt fraser
20-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Looking good Brett, what finish did you use on the topsides?

She should come together pretty quickly from here, fingers crossed for you.

I'm about to outsource part of my project too....... finishing the sides and bottom of the hull.

cheers,

Matt

Blane11
20-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Hey Matt, I ended up using a product called metalux.

It was the product the guy working on it uses. I was a little unsure at first, as there was limited information available in relation to marine applications. After a few phone calls and then meeting with a paint supplier reassured me that it would work well for my application. As well I've since found out that sailfish cats use this product also. Oh it's a two pack product. I'm not sure how it will end up but I know the red I picked was really expensive.

Cheers
Brett

Blane11
25-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Further Update.................with some paint.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

Blane11
16-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Here's a couple of updated pictures.

I ended up flow coating grey. Used a white speckle.

Enjoy

matt fraser
19-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Getting there Brett! It must be nice to have that Suk bolted on!

Interior looks great.

Is the windscreen going to be removable?

Blane11
17-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Its been a while...................well actually a little over two years since I purchased this boat, but finally she is on the water.

Everything isn't 100% finished, however it is in a fishable state. All I need now is some good weather so I can use it.

So far I've put in 4 trips of Evans Head for some mixed results, some ok snapper, a jew, mackerel (spotties) and a handful of other stuff like pigfish etc.

This is my first fibreglass boat and I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the ride, so soft compared to my last tinny.

Anyway, a big thankyou to everyone who posts their projects on this forum, and an even bigger thanks to all that reply with useful information. Without all this readily available info I would never had attempted such a HUGE mission to rebuild this thing.

Cheers

Brett

HH565L
20-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Very nice and certainly a huge improvement on what it was like when you purchased it.

I love the commercial look the wavebreaker gives it.

samsy
05-06-2012, 08:06 AM
well done blane11. massive project.

overdraft1
05-06-2012, 09:42 AM
spearos dream boat looks awesome,probaly my next choice of boat if i didnt have my cat

Jarrah Jack
05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Well done, its a massive job in the end. How does it go with the 140?

Blane11
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Cheers for the kind words, I'd forgotten about this thread. Ive been slowly doing little bits on the boat, added led lights inside. I will post up some more pictures when I get a chance.

Well I'm happy with the 140, and I had been using the standard 19 inch prop. It's no rocket ship, but I'm still happy with it. Ive currently got a 21 inch prop to trial but I haven't taken it out yet, but was hoping to move that sweet planing spot slightly lower into the rev range. Hopefully it doesn't affect holeshot too much.

I'll post up a report once I've tested it.

fisho8
06-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Mate all I can say it is a credit to you well done that was a big job and you made it look easy. Congrats and enjoy awsome stuff thank for putting this thread up.:thumbsup:

Goodoo haven
06-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Gee, well done mate. You've done a nice job on it.

Doug.

overdraft1
04-11-2013, 04:29 PM
hi brett , are you in ballina ?? im doing up my haines v19r would it be allright if i came checked out yours for some ideas?

catshark
31-12-2020, 07:57 PM
Its been a while...................well actually a little over two years since I purchased this boat, but finally she is on the water.

Everything isn't 100% finished, however it is in a fishable state. All I need now is some good weather so I can use it.

So far I've put in 4 trips of Evans Head for some mixed results, some ok snapper, a jew, mackerel (spotties) and a handful of other stuff like pigfish etc.

This is my first fibreglass boat and I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the ride, so soft compared to my last tinny.

Anyway, a big thankyou to everyone who posts their projects on this forum, and an even bigger thanks to all that reply with useful information. Without all this readily available info I would never had attempted such a HUGE mission to rebuild this thing.

Cheers

Brett

bump an old thread but i just came across it myself , sterling job and a mean machine at the end of it , ive got wave breaker fever and may have to do something about it , congrats bane