PDA

View Full Version : Legendary battle

Jarrah Jack
27-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I just heard one of those fishing stories that will do the rounds for a long time to come. Once the news of this got out the magazines have shown an interest so you'll probably get a better read on it in the future.

The big 100kg plus Blue Fin tuna are off Apollo Bay down southern Vic at the moment. They are hanging around a reef over 60 ks into the southern ocean, not for the faint hearted. Our fisherman decided to go and have a look in his 4.5 mtr center console.:o Alone!

After a long trip out , and there was a big swell running last week, he put out his lines and got a double hookup in no time. With both reels screaming and being one up you could imagine the excitement. One of the lines went slack with the hooks pulling I think. Anyway that left him with the other monster.

After over an hour into the fight another boat ran over his line :-[so he cracked the sh!ts and decided to head in. 10k into the long trip home he noticed a huge boil on the water with birds working and big barrels jumping clear of the water chasing bait fish, so our man decided to give it another go and rigged up.

One of the lines took off immediately so he pulled the other line in quick, no doubt fearing another double hookup. The fight took 3 1/2 hours till he got the 120 kg plus fish to the boat then somehow into the boat.

Later when asked at the ramp he said couldn't remember anything about heaving the fish inside just gaffing it then later spewing over the side due to complete exhaustion.

I don't know how he did it myself, being in a stand up fight for that time on 24 kg would be much more than enough for me.

wayno60
27-04-2011, 03:16 PM
After over an hour into the fight another boat ran over his line :-[so he cracked the sh!ts

is that all? i would have been after blood and not the fishes.

all round a super human effort.

Greg001
27-04-2011, 05:25 PM
After over an hour into the fight another boat ran over his line :-[so he cracked the sh!ts

My oath there would been a LOT of blood and maybe some berely...

Awesome effort ....can't say how i'd go....lol;D

sandbankmagnet
27-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I once witnessed a guy fighting a big fish off the southern wall at Yamba for quite some time. A trawler came out of the bar, turned right, ran over his line and then turned hard left to get back on his course. To say the chap was angry was an understatement. I was disappointed as I wanted to see what he had on. It peeled 300 metres of line at least.

Spot82
29-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Awesome effort!!! I would love to tackle some big tuna!

Anthony

Jono_SS
29-04-2011, 09:38 PM
10k into the long trip home he noticed a huge boil on the water with birds working and big barrels jumping clear of the water chasing bait fish, so our man decided to give it another go and rigged up.

I can picture it - he saw the birds and fish, slowed down to idle slightly up wind of the action, reached down to the selection of rods on the floor, tied a 25g raider on the 8 foot live fibre with TSS4 spooled with 8kg mono. First cast, gear malfunction and the lure hits the side of the boat - watch the duco fella! Second cast is a beauty, right in the middle of the mayhem, a couple of turns of the handle and he's on....for quite a while!;D

Big-Mack will have to finish the story, as my imagination isn't up to it!!!!

Edmo
30-04-2011, 10:10 AM
yes i`m sure its happened to a lot of us who troll in populated areas, playing a fish or even happily trolling a decent length behind and some moron runs across your stern. You know who you are! Keep a watchfully eye and a respectfull distance as not everyone trolls 30mtrs from the transom, and some of those prized fish of a lifetime will take a lot of line on the primary run. Courtesy folks....

cuzzamundi
30-04-2011, 06:34 PM
What Edmo said times fifty!!!!

Would've been an epic battle for old mate - props to his tenacity.

CuzZa

devocean
30-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Pretty impressive imagine that bad boy on a handline!