PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Longies

B-MACK
26-04-2011, 08:48 PM
A school of marauding long tail tuna are smashing Australian anchovies against the surface of the water. You are in a small aluminium boat creeping, your rod and reel locked and loaded with a 40g Raider terminally. You get 30 metres away and the tuna are still feeding ferociously. You put the outboard into neutral, unfasten the hook from the bottom runner on the rod, clip the bail arm back as you lift your rod over your head and unload.Your cast lands ten metres past, and in front of the feeding fish. You wind like hell, a fish starts to follow, its gaining on the lure, your heart is in your mouth. Your lure gets back to only ten metres from the boat and a small submarine at top speed does a u-turn on top of it spraying water all the way to the boat.Fish on!!!

Took my 3.9m tinnie, my missus and my son up Teewah beach on Friday. Launched from a gutter on the Rainbow Beach side of the headland at around 8am. It was the first trip offshore for my one year old son, Fin.

We trolled hardbodies up the coffee rock for about 20 mins until we saw a serious school of big tuna feeding on the surface. Got to the school just as Fin had fallen asleep in Gemma’s arms. Oh well I had better get stuck into one. The above mentioned scene unfolded and after a 5-10 minute battle I had a nice little long tail in the boat.

I had another couple of casts without having to motor, I lost a lure, and caught a mac tuna.Gemma had never caught a long tail so I held Fin and motored slowly back to where the longies were. Gemma got a nice cast straight over the frenzied school. A coupleof winds and she was on big time. I will never forget watching her and the line peeling off the spool, while the rod tip bucked and the drag screemed! Gemma asked “what do I do now” to which I replied “your running 15lb braid so probably not much for a while yet”. After about ten minutes a nice longtail was boat side and I had to put Fin on the deck as I gaffed the fish. Fin was now awake and Gemma was exhausted so we headed back to the beach leaving the big school of fish still frothing about.

A great way to spend a Good Friday with the family!!

Fish_gutz
26-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Awesome report and account of the whole thing, hope you show this report and the pics to Fin on his 21st B,day. Thanks for sharing that with us all. Andrew

Jono_SS
27-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Another golden report B-Mack!

Lovely conditions. I wonder if Fin will remember his maiden trip offshore? Did you give him some raw tuna with soy and wasabi? That would have capped off his awesome day out with mum and dad!

Nice new family boat there too.

JSS4

jarhead
27-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Inspirational stuff mate, cheers for post and pics.

Wal

Spot82
27-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Well written mate! thanks for sharing!

Anthony

B-MACK
27-04-2011, 06:48 PM
hope you show this report and the pics to Fin on his 21st B,day. Thanks Fish_gutz, I have a folder called fins 21st speech on my computer. mostly it contains embaressing stories but I guess I should include his first trip offshore!

Lovely conditions. I wonder if Fin will remember his maiden trip offshore? Did you give him some raw tuna with soy and wasabi? That would have capped off his awesome day out with mum and dad!

Nice new family boat there too.

Fin will be able to appreciate the photos. Fin was more up for eating sand when we got back to the beach. I had some long tail raw, but we ate the mack tuna cooked fresh. It was sensational, I dont know why people don't rate them (guess its one of those fish that would turn rank pretty quickly if you didn't look after them properly). Admitedly I did dress it up a little with a marinade and the second night into a tuna pie.

The new tinnie is awesome for the family. It also provides a much better view for my sausage dog, pippi than the old V-Sea does.

fishandchips
28-04-2011, 04:11 PM
top stuff mate well done. luke

skipalong
28-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Top work mate, didnt manage a spot mack at all ?

goggles
29-04-2011, 12:00 AM
great read, great day out and a great spot. Wayno

B-MACK
29-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Top work mate, didnt manage a spot mack at all ?

Hey Skipalong, no spotties for us. Only saw scools of mac tuna, longies and smaller bait along the beach towards rainbow. It was more a family trip for me but if I had of been by myself I would have caught some of the little mac tuna and trolled them around for a spaniardo.

A few spotties were caught on trolled pillies out in front of the headland (no great numbers from the guys I spoke to). But with the amount of bait around I wouldn't be suprised if they were in that area in the next little while.

jerker
02-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Well done B-Mack. You didn't see any dart schooling up in the onshore cutters did you?? Lot more tasty than a dirty horse mackrelle anyday. I just got back from NSI but couldn't get a feed of dart, the cutters were just full undersize jew.
Next time your up that way let me know, I'd love to jump in with you, the missus and the little fella, is there room in the annex of your tent for me to roll my swag out?

B-MACK
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Hey Jerker, yeah I did see some dart getting around the place. Would be hard to get your lure trough the rotten longtails to get to a prized dart though!

Will definately be going up again, do you have a tinny atm?

You can roll out your swag under the ute if you want. I'm not gonna let the jerker in the same tent as my missus.

preso
05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
lmao good one

capt
05-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Hey Mack, you have guts. Ya take ya 1 yr old kid to sea in a 4mt tinny ....... and ya eat Mack Tuna !

cheers Jimmy