PDA

View Full Version : Easter at Lucinda

WalFish
25-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Back from another great week at Lucinda. As you will see from some of the photos, the weather was awesome on Wed, Thu and Friday, then the wind picked up a bit on Sat and Sun, then home again today.

We got there on Wed morning and set up our camp in a nice shady part of the park - (the place has recovered pretty well after the cyclone and the locals are pretty happy to see the tourists return). Then off to launch the boat and down to Yanks Jetty for a bit of a snorkel around a small reef on the inside of the islands. The kids loved it and then we had a bit of a fish on the way home with no luck with some minor steering issues - needed about 300ml of fluid to top up the steering - must be a slow leak somewhere that I can't find!

Thursday and Friday we went to the reef - full throttle each way on both days as it was so calm. We landed 3 good size spanish mackerel on the Thursday - one of mine going 30kg. Was a good fight on 30lb mono and gave me a good run around doing 2 laps of the boat. A couple more fish on the Friday made it all worthwhile.

The wind on Sat and Sun kept us confined to the channel and a smorgasboard of Bream, Grunter, Whiting, Estuary Cod and Mud Crabs...... yes, tough I know!

Fish_gutz
25-04-2011, 05:44 PM
top holiday in a great part of the world. good to hear there is some crabs around. Cheers Andrew

webby nq
25-04-2011, 09:10 PM
stuffed up ?

webby nq
25-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah we definately got it tough up here mate , good to see those tasty crabs are running and we had some awesome weather on easter for a change!! some big ass spanyards too , were ya trolling for em or did ya have the old live bait out the back mate ?
Thanks
Webby

WalFish
25-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Webby, the spaniards were caught on dead pillies floating out the back while we bottom bashed. Had a berley trail running and they came to us - tough way to fish8-)

Edmo
26-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Sounds like a great part of qld, I really want to visit. Does any one know if there is a decent charter op to get out with? The only one I know of is a tv celeb, I hear he is pretty good. Any way looks like you guys spent easter in paradise and came away with a fantastic feed well done! Which are the best Islands to snorkel off?
Cheers Edmo;D

TREVELLY
26-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Wal, Are you the guy I met in the caravan park mid last year when I went up to get the Noble centre cab? Looks like your boat from what I can make out in your avatar.

Anyway looks like you got some decent weather this time and the fished played the game.

Some good family outings - well done.

FishHunter
27-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Awesome I am going up there for a week in June hope the weather is good.

WalFish
03-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah Trev, that was me. How is your Noble working out for you? The weather was a bit better than when you were up there, what with all the wind, rain and slop. The best trip my family has had in some time.

TREVELLY
04-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi Wal,

Good to hear you had a great trip - makes it all worthwhile.

Noble is a great design hull. They just need to tidy up the smaller things like electrics and plumbing. I am having a lot of fun with the rig and doing okay offshore. Have spent a bit of money and time on boat and trailer - never ends. Boat Bring Out Another Thousand - SWMBO is wondering when it will end ;D She hasn't been out in it - no interest - enjoys the seafood though ;)

nickstock
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Good report Wal and it is always nice to see flat seas out of Lucinda.

Can you post pics of the 30 KG Spaniard for us to drool at.