PDA

View Full Version : fuel economy

Reef Cruiser
24-04-2011, 06:50 PM
what would give you better fuel economy 175 optimax or a 175 suzuki 4 stroke the motor is going on is a cruise craft reef ranger the opti weights 197 kgs and the suzuki weights 215 kgs i dont think the suzuki woulld be to heavy for that boat what motor do you think would suit the boat better ... i just used it for reef fishing only doing about 100 to 150 kms most trips or would the suzuki 140 hp be good enough to power the boat

FishHunter
24-04-2011, 07:42 PM
What did the original motor weigh? Mine is around 186kg which is the weight it was designed for.
I imagine the economy would be similar have a look on google the yanks would have tested these to death already

Jabba_
25-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Just remember Reef Cruise, those weight numbers are dry weight figures, and usually the prop is not included on the weight either.. If the Merc contains its 2st oil under the cowl then it is going to weigh a lot more then then advertised. However if like the E-tec the oil is located in a remote tank in front off the transom then its weight will less affect the stern off the boat...

If you not bias against the E-tec, Then there worth looking at.. A bit lighter then the Opti, (prop included in E-tec's weight figures). The oil is contained in a remote tank, which means you can mount the tank forward in your boat.. For the same weight you can jump to a 200hp in the E-tec range.. Fuel consumption, I believe the Opti would be slightly better then both Suzuki and E-tec. But the Optimax is a lot louder across the rev range, that is something I can not tolerate.. Apart from being noisy the Opti is a good motor...

The suzuki is a Gem, and if weigh was not a concern, or max power rating for the transom, I would seriously consider the Suzuki... There so quiet, and economical.. sweet as motor..
Personally, If I were doing 100-150km trips, I would not want a noisy motor.
5% better economy (lucky if it would be that much) is just not worth the headache you'll get from the noisy Opti..

What is your main concern other then economy, as all clean motors are very economical now days,, and in what order, ie, Economy, max power, quietness..

What is the after sales service like in your local area for the brand off motors your looking at?

ShaneC
25-04-2011, 08:50 AM
The 4 stroke will always use less fuel than the 2 stroke. Been there, done that, I believed the hype but now know better....

Vitamin Sea
25-04-2011, 11:34 AM
The fuel difference between the 2 would be SFA, also I seriously doubt a 140 zuk would push a Ranger.

As Jabba mentioned there are other things that need considering, after sales service would be primary to me.

What is the difference in cost between the Zuk and Opti, I'm guessing probably 5 grand or better, that buys a lot of petrol.

Noise is an issue with the 175 Opti, but they are a bit quieter than the 3l block that I have

Fuel economy on that boat with a 175 Opti I would expect to be around the 1.8 ~ 2 KM/l, the zuk would be similar I expect.

The Opti will also have the added cost of 2 stroke oil, which is about $120 for 10 litres, it will use 50~60:1

Can't go wrong with either

Cheers

Bill

FishHunter
25-04-2011, 01:53 PM
The fuel difference between the 2 would be SFA, also I seriously doubt a 140 zuk would push a Ranger.

As Jabba mentioned there are other things that need considering, after sales service would be primary to me.

What is the difference in cost between the Zuk and Opti, I'm guessing probably 5 grand or better, that buys a lot of petrol.

Noise is an issue with the 175 Opti, but they are a bit quieter than the 3l block that I have

Fuel economy on that boat with a 175 Opti I would expect to be around the 1.8 ~ 2 KM/l, the zuk would be similar I expect.

The Opti will also have the added cost of 2 stroke oil, which is about $120 for 10 litres, it will use 50~60:1

Can't go wrong with either

Cheers

Bill

I have a 150 Evinrude on mine and it gets up goes just fine. What everyone is forgetting is the max hp rating on that hull is for the old measured at the crank hp figures.
So a modern 150 = approx 185hp in the old measurements.

don-one
25-04-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a 175 opti on a 6m plate boat and a friend has a 175 on a 6.2 haines. we continually compare fuel consumption.

The figures are very similar, with 1.5ks/l being the best and 1.3ks/l being the worst in either boat. The opti, probably averages being about .1k/l better but the oil (close to $15/L now) as previously mentioned makes the suzuki more economical on the water. However we dont compare servicing cost which i expect would be more expensive on the four stroke.

As for the noise: the opti is definately a lot louder at idle (i can hardly hear the zuk) but under power i dont really notice too much difference.

I like the responsiveness of the 2 stroke for the application of the plate boat as it has to be driven more to obtain the ride.

Vitamin Sea
25-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I have a 175 opti on a 6m plate boat and a friend has a 175 on a 6.2 haines. we continually compare fuel consumption.

The figures are very similar, with 1.5ks/l being the best and 1.3ks/l being the worst in either boat. The opti, probably averages being about .1k/l better but the oil (close to $15/L now) as previously mentioned makes the suzuki more economical on the water. However we dont compare servicing cost which i expect would be more expensive on the four stroke.

As for the noise: the opti is definately a lot louder at idle (i can hardly hear the zuk) but under power i dont really notice too much difference.

I like the responsiveness of the 2 stroke for the application of the plate boat as it has to be driven more to obtain the ride.

Hi

Hi recon you should be doing better than 1.5 km/l out of the opti, I can run wot and still get similar out of the 3 litre:-?

the oil (close to $15/L now)

You are getting ripped
Cheers

Vitamin Sea
25-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a 150 Evinrude on mine and it gets up goes just fine. What everyone is forgetting is the max hp rating on that hull is for the old measured at the crank hp figures.
So a modern 150 = approx 185hp in the old measurements.

All depends on how you want to travel & what you have in reserve

FishHunter
25-04-2011, 07:35 PM
All depends on how you want to travel & what you have in reserve

With the wrong prop it gets to 70km/h quickly I expect close to 80 once its propped correctly, at no point have I ever felt a lack of power in my boat in fact I am very rarely able to use over half throttle due to conditions, If I was buying a new motor I would be looking around the 130hp mark

don-one
25-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi

Hi recon you should be doing better than 1.5 km/l out of the opti, I can run wot and still get similar out of the 3 litre:-?

the oil (close to $15/L now)

You are getting ripped
Cheers

It will get 1.7ks/l but conditions have to be really good. we rarely get out in less than 10-15 and its more usual to be 15-20. So the figures i am quoting are based on these conditions with usually a heavy load and using tabs to improve ride.
I travel as fast as conditions allow, so this should also be taken in to consideration

How long since you have brought oil? and what are you paying?

I was paying $10/l until last week when i was told the price has gone up dramatically with the current dramas in the middle east.

Jabba_
25-04-2011, 08:41 PM
It will get 1.7ks/l but conditions have to be really good. we rarely get out in less than 10-15 and its more usual to be 15-20. So the figures i am quoting are based on these conditions with usually a heavy load and using tabs to improve ride.
I travel as fast as conditions allow, so this should also be taken in to consideration

I was paying $10/l until last week when i was told the price has gone up dramatically with the current dramas in the middle east.
Your fuel figures a exactly the same as mine. Smooth water I get 1.7,, open water I get 1.2 - 1.6... 1.2l/km is in real foul weather,, 1.6 is perfect conditions.. 250 e-tec/6m seafarer....

swof63
25-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I get exactly the same economy as you Jabba, yam F225 on HH600R.
Cheers Craig.

Jabba_
26-04-2011, 06:52 AM
That comfirms all clean tech engines are on par with one another for economy... Best to buy a motor from the brand that has the best aftersales service and best reputation in your local area..

Vitamin Sea
26-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Last week, $120.00 for 10L

PS: Have never been down to 1.2 ~ 1,3 km/l, ever. Surprises me as I thought the 175 would do better than that, what boat what prop?

If conditions are a bit average I count on 1.5km/L, if it perfect up to 1.9 km/l (IF I nurse it)

Cheers

Bill

ShaneC
26-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I still beg to differ Jabba....

I will give you that the new 2 strokes will be comparable in good weather however; make the weather a bit ordinary, get on and off the throttle a bit at slower speeds and the 4 stroke will eat it for economy. Case in point, two 625 Cruise Crafts, one with a 175 'clean tech' 2 stroke, one with a 175 4 stroke. A three day trip off Sykes, very similar distances travelled at the same speeds in the same conditions which were 15-20 SE and pretty lumpy. The 4 stroke used 55 L less than the 2 stroke. The 4 stroke was also much, much cheaper to run on long days trolling. I could not give two poos in the 2str vs 4 str debate, its horses for courses, but the proof is in the pudding.

I know 55L isnt much in the big scheme of things, and the original outlay for the 4 stroke does buy a lot of fuel, but I would rather have that extra fuel in my tank to optimise my range...

Jabba_
26-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Shane, I take it the 2 CC 625 went on same trip together, not seperate trips with similar conditions?

ShaneC
26-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Same trip mate, left ramp together, stayed close for the trip and got back to the ramp at the same time.

Jabba_
26-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Thats a good comparrision then.... What motors were they..

IMO 55lt is quiet a bit, in todays money thats $80..

Marchy001
26-04-2011, 03:59 PM
I got 20L of oil for my 175 Opti on Thursday and it set me back $160.
Also my fuel figures for the 175 pushing a 5.8 Noble are about 1.4 - 1.5 Km/L but im over propped at the moment and i never drive slow.

Cheers

Marchy

ShaneC
26-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Both boats were 2008 625 CruiseCraft Explorers, one with a 175 Yammy VMax, the other with a 175 Zuke.

Vitamin Sea
26-04-2011, 06:04 PM
I got 20L of oil for my 175 Opti on Thursday and it set me back $160.
Also my fuel figures for the 175 pushing a 5.8 Noble are about 1.4 - 1.5 Km/L but im over propped at the moment and i never drive slow.

Cheers

Marchy

Good price Marchy, where from?

Thanks
Bill

Marchy001
26-04-2011, 07:20 PM
J&B Marine i just take my empties and pump it out of there 44gal drum.
They did mention that they got this last lot just before the price went up a lot so i guess it will cost me more next time.

Cheers

Marchy

Almako
26-04-2011, 08:19 PM
thats a shame Marchy, i notice the price of 20l at Wynnum marine is now $180, was $160.

Also how do you guys work out your fuel usage?

Jabba_
26-04-2011, 08:33 PM
I have nmea2000 interface on my lowrance. They shows just about every that is going on in your motor.... Awesome bit off gear.. It's acurite within 1-2% for fuel used and milage...

Almako
26-04-2011, 08:35 PM
thanks Jabba i'll have to have a look. I know mine tells me litres being burned whilst i'm travelling. I'll go and get the manual out know. Yamaha setup

Jabba_
26-04-2011, 08:47 PM
You need the memory modual and gps connected to enable the milage

don-one
26-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I still beg to differ Jabba....

I will give you that the new 2 strokes will be comparable in good weather however; make the weather a bit ordinary, get on and off the throttle a bit at slower speeds and the 4 stroke will eat it for economy. Case in point, two 625 Cruise Crafts, one with a 175 'clean tech' 2 stroke, one with a 175 4 stroke. A three day trip off Sykes, very similar distances travelled at the same speeds in the same conditions which were 15-20 SE and pretty lumpy. The 4 stroke used 55 L less than the 2 stroke. The 4 stroke was also much, much cheaper to run on long days trolling. I could not give two poos in the 2str vs 4 str debate, its horses for courses, but the proof is in the pudding.

I know 55L isnt much in the big scheme of things, and the original outlay for the 4 stroke does buy a lot of fuel, but I would rather have that extra fuel in my tank to optimise my range...

geez, that is a huge difference. is the 175 a little on the underpowered size for the hull or is it a good match?

I found with the opti that you get great fuel economy up until about 4500rpm but start to push it above that and it really start to guzzle it. I generally cruise between 4000 and 4500 rpm and that can push a 6m plate between 23 and 30 knots for no change in economy.

where as we have found that the even driving the zuk around in the 4500 - 5000 rpm range it really did not have a dramatic affect on economy. i feel that if i drove the opti in this rev range i would get a similar occurance to what shane mentioned above

don-one
26-04-2011, 10:20 PM
J&B Marine i just take my empties and pump it out of there 44gal drum.
They did mention that they got this last lot just before the price went up a lot so i guess it will cost me more next time.

Cheers

Marchy

That is an amazing deal. any idea what they are going to put it up to now?

don-one
26-04-2011, 10:26 PM
thats a shame Marchy, i notice the price of 20l at Wynnum marine is now $180, was $160.

I download my track onto mapsource and can get the track miles from there.

Vitamin Sea
27-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Smartcraft guages, they are good sh$t

Just about to the litre

swof63
27-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Yamaha whizbang multifunction gauge for the new 4.2l offshore v6 ( like smartcraft Vesselview ). Turns out to be very accurate.