PDA

View Full Version : From Mooloolaba thursdar and today

hookinin
24-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Went out thursday morning to beat the easter madness but with conditions still a bit sloppy from the blow the previous few days travel was fairly slow. Was still very fishable and very little current. Fish were hungry from the first drop and a good mixed bag started coming onboard and lots of hussar everywhere we went. Had a few fish taxed by the grey suits and i managed to hook one in the corner of the mouth and bring it to the surface. We got the nervous tuskie on the other hook and my sinker and cut him free. A coulpe of nice snapper but most only squire and one lone legal red throat. Plenty of tuskies, hussar and a mixture of trag, pearlies, Maori, spangled emperor, moses and bananas. Ended up a great day on the water with Jo, lisa and dad.

Shot out mid morning for a couple of hours today for a feed of spanner crabs before the wind picked up again. We got a nice feed but returned about four small ones for every keeper. Was a great way to spend the morning and got a mate from Melbourne out to try something different. He didn't mind the spanner crabs but still not keen when we bring the muddies in the boat. Fresh fish and crabs for tea with all the family what a great way to spend easter.
Cheers Gaven

rosco1974
24-04-2011, 07:28 AM
a tasty looking feed there mate,last time i was up there we had the same keeper to throw back on the spanners.how did you go with the turtles they where bad last trip
cheers rosco

Glen Morgan
24-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Awsome mixed bag Gaven. Do you usually drop some trays in for spanner as a bonus?

I've have 4 trays which I use when I go up to Fraser and love the bonus of picking up a couple of crabs for the family on a days fishing. I have been thinking of having a fish up Caloundra way and a shot for some spanner, but don't really know where to start.

Cheers
Glen

hookinin
24-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Rosco,
No problem with turtles this time but got hammered last time.

Glen,
I haven't spanner crabbed down caloundra way but i would imagine its the same. Just go out past the reef and put them down givve them half an hour and see if any in the area. I know plenty of people get them down there and through into Moreton bay. The longer you let them soak the more chance the turtles will find them though if you were going to put them and go and fish.
Gaven

tenzing
24-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Good mixed haul Gaven
Crabs for easter- YUMMMMMMMMMMM
Brendan

TREVELLY
24-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Nice family day out Gaven. If only my wife didn't go green at just the thought of heading out to sea. Hasn't been on the boat once :)

Enjoy your feed and Easter.

hookinin
24-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah my wife doesn't go past the river mouth either but still enjoys eating fresh seafood so i just have to make the sacrifice and go catch it;D

Back In Black
24-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah Gav, you really take one for the team every time you go fishing. Things you do for "princess". You know how you said on Friday when you rang me & I was at Double Is Point to go north east for emperor, well thanks for the tip. Sucked heaps of juice, caught small reds & realized just how big that stinking ocean is!!! Back to fish Sunshine for some nice Moses sea perch & crossed the bar at 9pm. You can have that to yourself. Last time I'm crossing Noosa in the dark! No nav lights anywhere, the moon hidden behind clouds, & couldn't get my bearings. By the way mate, Thursday is spelt with a Y!
Tony

hookinin
24-04-2011, 04:58 PM
9pm thats a bit late for a princess to be out, i 'll have to tell sharon your've hardened up.
Gaven

wags on the water
24-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Nice work Gaven. Always love a feed of tuskies.

Cheers,
Wags