PDA

View Full Version : A Good Friday off Mooloolaba

TREVELLY
23-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Was a sunrise to sunset trip.

Best fish caught near dusk.

BIL Paul shows a typical sized keeper pearlie - we caught about 6 pearlies for each 1 fish we could keep (heaps between 30 and 35cm and many minnows too) and the inspectors at the ramps ensured we were honest. :)

Kinda surprised none of the small fish were nailed by a monster on the way up.

Donny shows a nice snapper he got on a pilly paternoster.

I managed a cute red emporer through the day and a couple of snaps on floater pillies down a burley trail near dusk.

We ended the day with a nice mix of snaps, tuskies, pearls and moses perch for good measure.

As you can see the weather was kind and a couple of us turned a lighter shade of red by days end.

Did have one huge black shadow come up under the boat then move away - could not make it out - about 10 to 15m down - big irregular shape figure it could only have been a large ray or an enormous shark, or strangely even a sailfish with sail up - will never know - and maybe that is for the better.

More days like this please ;D amen.

rosco1974
23-04-2011, 08:32 PM
a few nice snapps there mate well done
cheers rosco

Muddy Toes
23-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Nice fish, where did you end up going trev?

hookinin
24-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Looks like you had a good trip aswell. How was the boat trafic on friday i would imagine you had a fair bit of company.
Cheers Gaven

tenzing
24-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Nice fish Trev.
Love the sign off too- Clever Trevor

TREVELLY
24-04-2011, 10:29 AM
We went to the way top end of the banks - amongst the marlin trolling boats :) .

Shared the place with only 4 or 5 other boats bottom fishing - only found one boat on one pinnacle mark I wanted to try but had a dozen others marked so just moved on to another :) . Just kept moving and drifting marks till we landed a better fish then anchored up and burleyed.

We tried about 90 minutes of trolling for zip but in doing this marked a couple more pinnacles for later ;)

Water was beautiful deep blue, 26.8deg and no current, so a burley trail was easy.

Boat ramp was busy but no too bad - didn't have to wait at all at 4.15am.

Smithy
24-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I made it a 6:30 start at the ramp that morning and had it easy too. Let all the dawn people get out of the way but before all the holidaymakers launch. The glass boat high and dry on the Coast Guard side ramp would have congested things a bit. Only heard about one sail tagged out there that day Trev.

TREVELLY
24-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi Smithy, I put in LHS ramp and didn't see any big boat stuck (considerately moored) at rescue ramp but did see a large red centre cab fisher boat put in at that ramp and he was pretty quick. The 4 am starters don't seem to hang about much. I imagine the holiday traffic a little later is different.

The more I think about the size and colour and outline shape of the fish under the boat, the more I am convinced it was a sailfish as it was the right size, right colour and had very angular outline of no particular fish - so I guess our boat was a fad for a moment.

Smithy
24-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeh that'd be Brady the pro. He doesn't mess around like all of us that are quick to get in and out.

This is the one, picture from Paul on another fishing forum.

TREVELLY
25-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeh that'd be Brady the pro. He doesn't mess around like all of us that are quick to get in and out.

This is the one, picture from Paul on another fishing forum.

No - I have to edit this post - shouldn't laugh at others misfortunes - hopefully no damage - but sure some frustration for the ramp users

:LMAO:

Oh by the way Brady didn't appear to have lights on the back of his cruiser ute or trailer - head lights worked - but that's all.