PDA

View Full Version : Scawfell Island Overniter

FishHunter
23-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I was keen to head offshore for a few days this weekend but the weather had other ideas and I could only get Good Friday and half of Saturday in and it was already getting very lumpy.

I set off for the shipping channel (80km) early Friday morning but it was very unpleasant trying to fish in it so i headed off to Refuge bay bay Scawfell Island to revisit some spots I had marked on my last visit.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Fishing/Boating/22-4-11%20Easter%20Scawfell/P1010941.jpg

I anchored up and dropped a line to the pickers delight so i dragged out my med spin rod and rigged up a paternoster with some small circle hooks and started pulling them in. I sent one out as a live bait and in a while all hell broke loose with a monster taking line against heavy drag. All went well for about 10 seconds when it lit the afterburners and became semi airborne while snapping the 60lb leader.

So I sent another one out with some 125lb wire trace this time, for exactly the same effect.
That led me to change the leader to 100lb on that rod. In the meantime I had pulled in an assortment of fish, Grassy sweetlips, Stripeys, Barred Sea Bream, False Fusiliers and a Coral Trout.

Then I went to a gun fight with a cap gun as something substantial took the bait on my spin rod and even with the drag locked up it peeled 20lb braid off the reel till it rubbed through the braid.

I then moved further into the bay and caught some more Stripeys and pinkys, just before sunset I hooked a Spottie mac which took some pinky slabs and ignored the Barred sea bream I had out as live bait.

View while sipping a beer
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Fishing/Boating/22-4-11%20Easter%20Scawfell/P1010946.jpg

I woke up early and headed back out to yesterdays hot spot where I hooked a good size Hussar and another 50cm odd Coral trout a and some undersize Red Emporor.

I had a small GT out as live bait with no wire and the predictable happened, heavy weight and line peeled off the reel for a second or 2.

So a Stripey went out with 150lb wire after a while all hell broke loose till the hook pulled and I got back a mangled and twisted piece of wire.

Doesnt look like much but the fish were there.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Fishing/Boating/22-4-11%20Easter%20Scawfell/P1010954.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Fishing/Boating/22-4-11%20Easter%20Scawfell/P1010951.jpg

Video to come once I have put something together.

OPTI
23-04-2011, 05:51 PM
thats my kinda fishing mate well done,nothing beats the adrenaline rush of a big fish spooling your reel,and you still got a nice feed

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 06:22 PM
its a nice spot out there

OPTI
23-04-2011, 06:23 PM
gotta say that cordial bottle looks a little sus;D

FishHunter
23-04-2011, 07:13 PM
gotta say that cordial bottle looks a little sus;D

Just cordial honest :) Only joy was in the gold cans and on the end of my fishing line

webby nq
27-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Top spot old Refuge bay with plenty of isolated patches to get amongst em !!! Get some big spanyards there too , sounds like you might have met a couple of the buggers! Least there was plenty of action mate and pity the weather wasnt that bit kinder
Thanks
Webby

TREVELLY
27-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Looks like you had fun.

Next time take a reel gun and put up some impressive fish pics. ;)

The sunset looks nice - just needs you holding a big fish in the foreground ;D

jason p
27-04-2011, 09:12 AM
thats a great part of the world your in there fh. sounds like you had a ball, well done.

jp

FishHunter
27-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I put in a post with a cvid link no idea where it went to so I will try again.

REHFDSuLCc4

jason p
28-04-2011, 04:46 PM
awsome run there fh, what a shame you didnt land it ay. nothin like spending a couple night out on the water doin what we love to do. makes me want to pack up the boat now and head on out, pitty its blowin 20kn+ and i have to work tomoz.

thanks jp