PDA

View Full Version : etec fuel problem

pubgolf
23-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Howdy Ausfishers,
Went out to have a fish on the reef yesterday with a mate who decided in his infinite wisdom to purposely allow the rear fuel tank to run itself completely dry on the trip home (to get accurate economy numbers). The outboard (2008 200HP H.O) ran out of fuel at approx 3600 RPM. Once it was switched over to the front tank and the fuel primed through the rubber ball it fired again then ran for 30 seconds underway and then died. When we tried to start it it would cough and splutter for a few seconds and then die. Cutting the long story short the VMR towed us home the last 4 miles (both members). It appeears to me that it had an airlock or something like that. Does anyone here know the trick to priming these things once they have run out of fuel?
Thanks
Rod
:thumbsup:

Spaniard_King
23-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Cant remember the exact position but your looking for what looks like a car tyre valve, this is used for sampling the fuel pressure to the injectors. You need to release the valve until you get fuel to the valve it should pump to the Injectors from there but it may take a few cranks

johncar
23-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Howdy Ausfishers,
Went out to have a fish on the reef yesterday with a mate who decided in his infinite wisdom to purposely allow the rear fuel tank to run itself completely dry on the trip home (to get accurate economy numbers). The outboard (2008 200HP H.O) ran out of fuel at approx 3600 RPM. Once it was switched over to the front tank and the fuel primed through the rubber ball it fired again then ran for 30 seconds underway and then died. When we tried to start it it would cough and splutter for a few seconds and then die. Cutting the long story short the VMR towed us home the last 4 miles (both members). It appeears to me that it had an airlock or something like that. Does anyone here know the trick to priming these things once they have run out of fuel?
Thanks
Rod
:thumbsup:

Thank Goodness for VMR!!
I volunteered myself for VMR duty yesterday Good Friday and yes I would rather have been out fishing out wide myself on such a good day.

It was good though being paid at quadruple time, being 4 x nothing;) Still trying to work that out.

Beautiful day to be on the water anyway no matter the reason and no I wasn't involved in your assistance. I was at Bribie and don't remember any Etecs. They were all Mercs yesterday I think;)

A busy day out there on the water though, almost a bit crazy in some areas.

Well how were the fuel figures after all that?

Jabba_
23-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Had the same problem, but my fuel meter was telling me I still had fuel, when in fact the tank was bone dry...

After I refilled the same occured, I primed, I cranked the motor, it started then stalled.. I primed again and tried to start but it would not, so I primed the bulb while my mate cranked the motor.. That got it going... took a bit to get it going though.. lucky I have 2 x 760cca batteries..