PDA

View Full Version : Need a short leg not a long one

blackjew
23-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi eveyone just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat,I bought a fairley new motor about 2 years old verry low hrs, 15 horse power SeaKing $1,200 yer i know ::) . and the guy told me it was a med shaft hmm med I said to him never heard of a med leg I thought it was just long and short ,I have been a marine mechanic for 30 years I know what im on about .It will be fine for your Savage 3.7mtr no probs .so i thought ok .That was 4 months ago.Since then i have not had much of a chance to run it in the water as i went under the knife for cornea transplant number 2 and have been recovering. and when i did take it for a run i was just snailing along ,last weekend i went by myself and was hooting along up on the plane,i looked behind me and shit myself when i saw a great waterfall spewing over the transom ,any idears how to fix this problem or should i just sell the motor and get a short leg .What do you guys recon .

Cheers Rob

rosco1974
23-04-2011, 10:29 AM
you could prob get the transom lifted by an alloy fabricator.they just build the transom up to a longshaft transom

johncar
23-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I would think that you would normally only run a short leg on a 3.7 metre tinnie.

But as said you could raise the top of the transom which I did years ogo on an old Clark to fix a similar problem although no water over the back, just a nasty rooster tail.

But I guess you need to be sure it that is the problem. With your experience you should be able to assess the approximate engine mounting height to see if it's close and I would imagine the cav plate being somewhere about level with the bottom of the boat, usually about an inch either way bit it seems often better to be sometimes a bit below on the average pressed tinnie bottom.

blackjew
23-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for your advice guys .
The cav plate johncar hangs way down from the bottom of the boat ,so will have to get back on my feet and get some cash then ill get it fabricated ,looks like my best option.
Cheers Rob

kizza1
24-04-2011, 12:03 PM
your other option is to buy a jacking plate.

blackjew
27-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Gday kizza1 hmmm sounds like it might be a cheaper option,ill go google it .

Cheers Rob

Noelm
28-04-2011, 01:45 PM
not too sure you will find a jack plate suitable for a small motor, how high can you raise the motor without any modifications? it does not need to sit right on top of the transom.

Camhawk88
28-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Gday kizza1 hmmm sounds like it might be a cheaper option,ill go google it .

Cheers Rob

Look into it mate but I reckon it'd be by far the most expensive and unnecessary option.

The initial cost of the jacking plate, the installation of a battery and leads to drive the hydraulics- reckon you would be up for almost more than the motor costs you not to mention a heap of extra weight. Raising the transom should only cost a few hundred bucks Id say.

Noelm
28-04-2011, 02:24 PM
you wont need an adjustable plate, a fixed one will be fine, and cheaper.

blackjew
29-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks heaps guys ,shit yer i nearly died when i checked out the price of a jacking plate.lol thats not including all the other gear.
Thanks Noelm i found an adjuster that kicked the leg out a bit seems to bea bit better,got up to 8 knots in the wooli then hit the bottom lol.first time there hmmm .Ill try and lift it some more with a bigger block of pine.
Thanks heap guys.

blackjew
01-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Awesome guys i went out this morning after chocking up the motor as high as i can and i was getting easy 15knots,wicked thanks heaps problem solved for now .
Cheers Rob