PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast spot spanish Wahoo Mayhem

RAGINGBULL
22-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Hi ALL

In early at the ramp filled up with livies in shallow.
Headed to Q1 drifted in perfect conditions with 4 livies out NADA, tried different spots deeper etc NADA mate tried to call but could not hear him.
Moved 2km North and managed to find him in amongst the other boats, 2 out of 3 were on with good fish.
His boat was littered with Spanish and Monster spotties

Got my Livies out and the waiting game began started off slow waited for 20 minutes for our first Son took the strike
Nice Spotty, Then a second Nice Spanish about 15kg. usual bite offs and livies given the snip
Another 2 Spanish 12kg And a few lost while fighting

TIME TO LEAVE MY SON SAYS THERE ARE 4 MORE LIVIES, OK THEN
Son still feeding it out and it is slammed by a spanish while he is fighting it another livie is absolutely smashed out of the water, spin around and the another rod takes off, and I mean frickin off like a rocket, the line is popping from wave to wave and the spray is peeling off the line, what ever it is is on the top and motoring around in an ARC that saved me, or it was gooooone
It turns and comes back towards me spray flying off the line and when it goes past I think the pressure created by that bow in the line is going to pop the line I start to free spool and turn the boat to follow.

Long story short after a 1/2 hour fight and Many Many fast and tense sessions where I could see line peeling off faster than I have seen in a long time, The Monster from the deep emerges Wahoooooo nice surprise and Its a bigggggg one
When the gaff went in I was a really happy man

It Tipped the scales at 30kg on the money.
5 witnesses and Pictures to come if I can get them off my daughter

My mate got 17 spanish / spotties the average size was 15 to over 20kg

8.5KM FROM THE SEAWAY ENTRANCE, I cannot give you the mark as it our secret mark LOL

All the neighbours family and friends are eating fish tonight

Cheers
Mark

DRAGMAN
22-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a good time by all. Looking forward to you loading the pics!

marty+jojo
22-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow, never seen a spottie 15kg....
Marty.

carnster
22-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Fun times there congrats.

Jeremy
22-04-2011, 07:32 PM
30 kg is a big wahoo. Looking forwards to the photos.

TimD
22-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Nice fish mate but i think your scales are out ;)

cheers tim :)

spenceandkim
23-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Me too but that is a monster spotty on the left.

RAGINGBULL
23-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Sorry Guys.

Wrote it in a hurry.
The Spotties were not 15kg only the Spanish my mate got, but the spottie was big around the 10 to 12 kg " did not weight it though Just weighed the WAHOO

What a job to fillet and pack Yesterday AVO, But the fresh Wahoo was mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Funny that a couple of KM away on the same line at the same depth on the same structure there are no fish. Yet get to a spot and for a 2km drift there are fish all over

I also thought the Wahoo would go 25kg but when it weighed in at 30kg, I was surprised, Maybe I will get the scale checked

Mark

TimD
23-04-2011, 07:33 AM
It is hard to tell by the pic but 30kg sounds a bit rich, here is a pic of a Hoo i got off the Goldie the other week, it only went 18.5kg.

Whatever the weight you still got some great fish and i bet your freezer is looking well stocked.

cheers tim :)

Long Shot
23-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Tim,
a 30kg wahoo is not much longer than the one you are holding, but it is substantially deeper through the shoulders and holds its girth a long way down the body.

Nice hoo you're holding there just the same :-)

Edmo
23-04-2011, 08:28 AM
great session boys but i tend to think your scales need checkin judging by the pics, but great catch all the same.

RAGINGBULL
23-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep you are all right
I have reviewed the evidence given to me, unfortunately I have got to the glasses age and I did not have my glasses on my arms were not strong or long enough too hold it far out to read properly, my son looked at the weight, I have a feeling it was either 30 lbs or 20 kg....

I CONSIDER MYSELF CAUGHT OUT

MMMM Sounds like a fishermans story this one, Oh well its not my biggest fish then.
Caught Cobia bigger than that..