PDA

View Full Version : mercury continuous buzzer warning

krazyfisher
22-04-2011, 04:34 PM
What is the continuous alarm/buzzer/warning???
which sensor is it? I am guessing temp or oil.

I had it come on today and stay on there is no temp or oil problems so guessing a sensor.

any help would be great thanks

Steeler
22-04-2011, 04:42 PM
To the best of my knowledge and from a early 2000's Merc, continuous is o/heat and intermittent is low oil.

Good luck with it eh.

krazyfisher
22-04-2011, 05:04 PM
ok.... thanks now to find out if it is the sensor or the module. been out of the water for 5hrs now and if I turn the key still beeping

bluefin59
22-04-2011, 05:32 PM
If it's a 2 stroke check the sender inthe tank as they can cause a problem sometimes ...matt

Steeler
22-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Continuous when turning the key will be related to temperature, having been out of the water now for five hours and a cool motor will mean somewhere in the system is a dodgy sensor.

Maybe pop into your local library and see if they have a copy of the manual for it and do some checks as per the book.

I borrowed my genuine Merc book out to a bud or otherwise i would look it up for you and let you know how to complete some DIY checks,sorry.

Cheers

oldboot
22-04-2011, 09:34 PM
It depends on how old the motor is.

The older merc two strokes have the same problem lots of two strokes have.

there is a reed switch that pokes up a slim sealed tube in the oil tank.

There is an anular magnet arrangement in the float that runs up and down the outside of this tube.

The anular magnet arrangement is a pair of magnets designed to give a narrow magnetic field.... these magnets go out of whack and the low oil switch comes on.

The reed switch is usually fine and to fix the problem you have to replace the whole tank and that costs $100s .

So most people yank the plugs on the sensor and just top up the two stroke every trip.

How do I know this.....It happened on my BIL 30 merc.

cheers

BM
22-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Constant single tone (beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep) is overheat. Rapid rythmic beeping is oil pump failure and slow rhythmic beep is low oil.

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect and check beep status.

Overheat wire should be tan in colour. Disconnect this wire and then turn the key on and see what happens. If the oveheat tone is still active you either have a crook module or a pinched wire in the overheat circuit.

Check the overheat wiring and open up the control box to check wiring there also for any pinched wires earthing out.

If the overheat tone stops after disconncting the sensor then the sensor is no doubt on the fritz.

What engine?

oldboot
22-04-2011, 10:26 PM
It depends on the motor....some of the early motors had one only alarm tone.

cheers

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 05:19 AM
2006 mercury 75hp 2 stroke.

had the battery isolated for couple of hours than reconnected still BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Tan wire? tan with blue stripe?

BM
23-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Yep, tan with blue trace.

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 07:22 AM
ok pulled the tan wire on the sensor on the port side of the head and it is still going BEEEEEEEEEEEP! Is there only one temp sensor? hard to see but there looks to be another tan wire?

Fed
23-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Here you go Krazy.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=174830

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Fed
I cant get the links to work just states download not available?
I dont think the one I want is the full link.
can you post the full link?

thanks

Spaniard_King
23-04-2011, 10:05 AM
It depends on how old the motor is.

The older merc two strokes have the same problem lots of two strokes have.

there is a reed switch that pokes up a slim sealed tube in the oil tank.

There is an anular magnet arrangement in the float that runs up and down the outside of this tube.

The anular magnet arrangement is a pair of magnets designed to give a narrow magnetic field.... these magnets go out of whack and the low oil switch comes on.

The reed switch is usually fine and to fix the problem you have to replace the whole tank and that costs $100s .

So most people yank the plugs on the sensor and just top up the two stroke every trip.

How do I know this.....It happened on my BIL 30 merc.

cheers
Krazy,

Old boot nailed it in his post!

There are 2 wires coming from the underside of the oil tank , disconect one of these and I am sure the alarm will stop.

Steeler
23-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I thought Krazy had a problem with one continuous buzzer sound not the intermittent type for low oil in the bottle when that silly magnet delaminates, now i am confused.

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 11:12 AM
me too!!!!

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 11:25 AM
ok...... Garry is the winner....BUT.

Out of the loom is a light blue wire from that comes 2 Tan wires 1 goes to the temp sensor and the other goes to the oil tank. I pulled the temp and no change. I pulled the oil and it stopped......why beep beep beep beep is supposed to be oil and BEEEEEEEEEEEEP is supposed to be temp. OH well.........

NOW the final question can I just disconect the oil tank wire(tan with blue stripe)????
do I have to do anything else..

Once again thanks for your help

Fed
23-04-2011, 11:40 AM
The file of the above link no longer exists. This could be for several reasons:

The uploader deleted the file
The file contained illegal contents and was deleted from our servers by our abuse-team.
The file is incorrect
The server is busy and can not process the request.
Sorry Krazy it looks like they've been busted, too bad because they were all genuine full mercury manuals in original file form & not a scanned manual.
An absolute gift for anyone with a Merc, I meant to download them all just in case they got removed but it looks like it's too late now.

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 11:46 AM
it is a shame I have been looking for an online manual everywhere and can't find one

krazyfisher
23-04-2011, 12:42 PM
OK sorted the online manuals they are still there..
FED they are great thanks

Spaniard_King
23-04-2011, 01:13 PM
ok...... Garry is the winner....BUT.

Out of the loom is a light blue wire from that comes 2 Tan wires 1 goes to the temp sensor and the other goes to the oil tank. I pulled the temp and no change. I pulled the oil and it stopped......why beep beep beep beep is supposed to be oil and BEEEEEEEEEEEEP is supposed to be temp. OH well.........

NOW the final question can I just disconect the oil tank wire(tan with blue stripe)????
do I have to do anything else..

Once again thanks for your help

Just disconnect either one or both.. tape them up to ensure no more false alarms

BM
24-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Krazy,

I think I have given you a bum steer from following this topics outcome.

Somewhere in the mid 90's (or thereabouts) Mercury "dumbed down" the oil control module. It used to be the size of a packet of cigarettes ad was a tri-warning unit (with beeps as I described).

The newer module is about 8cm square and sits on the starboard side of the engine at the base of the powerhead.

I think you'll find that the oil pump will have no warning device connected at all anymore (so no oil pump failure alarm) and as you mentioned there are 2 tan wires piggybacked off the one blue exiting the module. Therefore there will only be the one tone, being for overheat or low oil.

The new modules are considerably cheaper to replace when they go bung. The last time I replaced an oil bottle assembly (due to faulty sensor) I think I paid about $100 trade.

As long as you are diligent in checking your oil then you may not want to replace the oil bottle although when it comes time to sell its better to have warning devices functioning.

Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers

krazyfisher
24-04-2011, 07:30 AM
all good BM..... I am still confused as everything I read states BEEP BEEP BEEP for oil and BEEEEEEEEEP for temp but with 1 wire shared I am not sure. I now have a service manual (thanks FED) but still trying to get hold of an owners manual might be able to tell me more. I might have to find a merc dealer other than the one we have here!!!!

FishHunter
24-04-2011, 07:51 AM
It seems your problem was fairly simple, its always a relief when you find that instead of a blown motor.
Wait till your outboard has 4 alarms which you dont know about and it has slow beeps and long beeps at random times, its enough to drive you crazy. Gary steered me right on that one as well.

krazyfisher
24-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I dont care how many alarms my boat has, I just dont want to hear any of them! lol

yes it doesnt matter how small the problem is it is always a relief to find the problem. I have only every owned 2 second hand boat motors the rest have all been new, I am even thinking of changing this one out. Now how to convince my wife I need a new 70hp yamaha 4/s

FishHunter
24-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I dont care how many alarms my boat has, I just dont want to hear any of them! lol

yes it doesnt matter how small the problem is it is always a relief to find the problem. I have only every owned 2 second hand boat motors the rest have all been new, I am even thinking of changing this one out. Now how to convince my wife I need a new 70hp yamaha 4/s

You are lucky, my 1st and only boat and motor was 30 yrs old :). My new motor is a 99 or so and every bloody salesman is telling me I need to upgrade my old motor. Sorts them out when I say that is my upgrade 1st one was a 79 lol

Spaniard_King
24-04-2011, 11:27 AM
It seems your problem was fairly simple, its always a relief when you find that instead of a blown motor.
Wait till your outboard has 4 alarms which you dont know about and it has slow beeps and long beeps at random times, its enough to drive you crazy. Gary steered me right on that one as well.

Slow beep low oil in tank (you arnt runing one)
Intermitent beep no oil or fuel restriction (your mixing your oil I think)
Solid uninterupted beep.. Overheat

Hope that helps

oldboot
25-04-2011, 12:08 PM
All you guys are saying there is this different sound thing.....some of the mercs of that period have no "module" at all. They simply have a couple of contact closures in the sensors, any sensor changes its contact and they make one sound..BEEEEEP continuous.

In any situation we need to establish what is actually fitted to the motor.

The manual may say one thing or may indicate options, what may be fitted to the motor may be another all together.

Lets start at the beginning.
So does this motor have or ever had an oil tank

If unplugging a wire ( the blue/tan wire perehaps) shuts up the noise....ya need to have a look at where that wire is going.......if it heads one way into the harness and the other way into sensors with no buggery box, you can be pretty sure the motor makes one only alarm sound...if there is a buggery box it might make different sounds.

Regardless if you are unplugging this wire, you should be able to work out which sensor is involved.

cheers

krazyfisher
25-04-2011, 12:36 PM
oldboot

So does this motor have or ever had an oil tank? yes and yes

I have unplugged the wire to the oil tank sensor and it stopped the noise

1 wire goes to the temp sensor and 1 to the oil sensor than goes to the harness.

As you can see above garry found the answer and all is now good

thanks for your help I now atleast know I only have 1 sound thanks again