PDA

View Full Version : car/boat GPS?

gazza2006au
21-04-2011, 02:45 PM
are there any cheap car GPS's that can support marine map's? i would like to use a GPS in my car and boat instead of spending a fortune buying one of each

bluefin59
21-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I am sure garmin do one that does both but i think you would have to get seperate maps ...matt

oldboot
21-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Garmin do have a portable GPS that does both land bassed and marine bassed mapping.

You have to buy the marine maps.

BUT

It would be cheaper to buy one of each if you are looking cheap.

I believe a couple of Garmins hand held units will do both land bassed and marine mapping but but squinting at a small screen while under way may not be practical.

And again, a cheap hand held and a cheap in car will be cheaper.

The cheap option is either and hand heald or a non mapping GPS and use it in conjunction with paper charts....ya just use the GPS to fix your position.

GME do a non mapping GPS for just over a couple of hundred$

Samll hand held GPS can be had for arround the $100-150.

cheers

Blackened
21-04-2011, 05:43 PM
G'day

Or buy an iphone, ipad, ipod touch, and download the navionics charts ($14) and any one of the road based mapping out there in the app store (tom tom, garmin, whatever you fancy)

Dave

gazza2006au
21-04-2011, 05:54 PM
thanks for the replies the phone sounds like a good deal where does the navionics chart for $14 come from?

Blackened
21-04-2011, 06:22 PM
thanks for the replies the phone sounds like a good deal where does the navionics chart for $14 come from?

G'day

It comes from itunes

Dave

gazza2006au
21-04-2011, 07:28 PM
will the navionics work with this phone or similar? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160575601221&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

simo2601
21-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Yep, anything with an android operating system can run Navionics. You can even get some bigger ipad sized ones that it will run on for about the same price

gazza2006au
21-04-2011, 08:12 PM
yeah i looked at the pad and thought it might be a little to big and get damaged in the boat when riding rough weather

Triple
21-04-2011, 08:15 PM
What marine maps can you get that run with win CE ?
Most of the the cheap chinese in car gps with an SD card slot run win CE.

GBC
22-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Another vote i-phone. Beware they are power hungry when running the gps, so you'll have to work out a way to both charge it continually and keep it dry.
They offer a fair bit for the money.

I also have a garmin 78sc which has street, toppo, and bluecharts for oz/nz. Costs a bit to set up with the maps, but for sorting waypoints, actual navigating and safety I wouldn't have it any other way.
Phones need to be recharged. A garmin will give 20hrs on two aa batteries if it all goes bad.

Personally I'd keep the phone dry, charged and in my pocket for if I need it, and use the garmin for what it was designed for.

tenzing
22-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Bought a garmin to drive around europe years ago and decided it would be good to use in the tinny too.
The salt water did it no favours at all.I dont think it is a good idea (now)
best either with a hand held or "i"type unit.
My brother fishes out of port douglas to the outer reefs and only uses a handheld.

Blackened
22-04-2011, 07:44 AM
G'day

For the iphone, I have mine in an otterbox defender case, simply sensational. I'm a tradesman and every day it's covered in polish, dust, and spray from water and some acid.

If you're after more protection for it, then put it in an aquapac or similar.

It's a must to connect it to some kind of mains power or at least have that option there, usually via cigarette lighter plug.

Dave

gazza2006au
22-04-2011, 11:16 AM
i was going to buy one from ebay than found my local dick smiths electrnocis sells the android phones and there pretty cheap to replace if i happen to drop it in the water does anyone know what phone would be better from the below phones
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/E6848/telstra-smart-touch-android-trade-pre-paid-mobile
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/E6835/virgin-huawei-u8150-android-trade-pre-paid-mobile-phone
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/E6753/optus-lg-optimus-android-trade-pre-paid-mobile-phone
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/E6572/optus-mytab-7-quot-android-trade-pre-paid-tablet

oldboot
22-04-2011, 09:15 PM
One thing you have to be carefull of is that many of the phones arent GPS as we know it and the remainder will not have the speed, latency or accuracy of the dedicated GPS units.... its not like its a primary function.

cheers

gazza2006au
24-04-2011, 02:40 PM
i went a head yesterday and purchased the LG optimus than after a few hours of working it out and paying for navionics it doesnt download there is something wrong with the navionics as it sent me a full refund today i have downloaded another program not marine specific called navigator it shows a real picture and has pin pointed my location at home as being in my kitchen but im in need of a chart more of the marine side can someone tell me a android app download that will show water depths and markers for australian waters? or at lease NSW?

cheers