PDA

View Full Version : Boat Repairs......Help

breakthelines
20-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Just wondering if I have to use a special type of silicone to fill gaps in my glass boat?

Horse
20-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I would use Sikaflex

OPTI
20-04-2011, 06:28 PM
i take your talking above the water line ?bathroom silocone is the best in white its uv stabilised and doesnt go yellow like most of the gap fillers,sika flex is a pain in the ass to wipe as its lumpy.

breakthelines
20-04-2011, 06:34 PM
i take your talking above the water line ?bathroom silocone is the best in white its uv stabilised and doesnt go yellow like most of the gap fillers,sika flex is a pain in the ass to wipe as its lumpy.

Talking about the non-skid cast decks in the inside of the boat.

Just filling some gaps where the silicone has worn away.

oldie
20-04-2011, 07:07 PM
worth buying sola res from a surf shop drys in 2 min in sun and good as making up a mix of resin, i filled holes in my floor once i removed the b2b seats

captain rednut
20-04-2011, 07:46 PM
sikaflex should do the job

dingoFNQ
20-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Sika 11 FC (Fast cure) Sticks like shit to a blanket. Pre clean with some acetone or thinners,clear PVC cleaner is easy to get, You can get a squeegie kit from a tile shop to give a really prof. finish you can do mitres, radius's,square corners, far better than a grubby finger. Sika make a heap of different products so do the research and colour options. When it is really dry you can clean any fine smears off with thinners.

Tight lines

Rob

Dan5
20-04-2011, 08:51 PM
If using white i'd stay away from sikaflex.......it's a good product but not UV stabilized and will go yellow in the sun and look shithouse after a few months.

3M have a UV stabilized sealant which stays white for a couple of years,Westcoaster the boat builders in WA only used 3M externally and sika internally when they used built boats.

Dan

oldboot
20-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Exactly what sort of gaps or holes are we talking about?

And what sort of material are the gaps/ holes in?

cheers

Roughasguts
21-04-2011, 09:14 AM
You can use a razor blade to trim up your sikka flex if messy! then you can even lightly sand the stuff to get a flat even surface before painting.

But I'll see how it goes on the old Paj had a couple of rust holes developing around the windscreen trim.
Treated the metal before the sikka and paint to fill the hole. So far 5 weeks still looks like a new one. Trying for something longer lasting than bog.

Cheers.