PDA

View Full Version : Mackay reds n trout

webby nq
20-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Took a couple of mates out for a bash too some deep bomies I found only too find some of the best ground ive seen and thick with fish all in about 50 to 60 metres. Once me mate got over his personal berley stash we started pullin up some good Pinkies , Reds , Lipper and Trout but this would have too be the first time we've had a problem with them grey suited buggers.Was real slack during the middle of the day again but in the arvo started getting some good fish. Come dusk we anchored on a good show and before our lines could hit the bottom we were on but we had too get em up quick again for the sharks. On sunrise on another new spot x we did a few drifts and were dusted by some brute reds or something but still managed some good fish and cant wait too go round 2 at the new spot X's . Biggest reds were 10 kg and me mate Crow now dubbed the Trout slayer caught all the trout with the biggest being 79 cm at 6.5 kilo and all bar cheek , As long as someone catches em hey!

frenzy
20-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Good effort, gotta love them Red fish, good fight and great eating.

TREVELLY
20-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Some beautiful fish and great conditions guys.

Do like the pics of reds with sunset backdrop - nice

devocean
20-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey Webby
Are you in the shipping channel mate or at the reef?

Alchemy
20-04-2011, 09:25 PM
The perfect double. Trout and reds; in that order!

webby nq
20-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Out the channel there Devocean ! Well this trip anyway, you a local too mate ?

jarhead
21-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Some top fish and always enjoyable fishing new ground.

Wal

Redrocks
21-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Well done Webby. You're definately setting the standard here for Mackay.

I ship the channel too when I can, usually around Tern, but it's such a big area, that's not being too specific.

What area do you target? I have some ground between Kindemar and Sandpiper that I am yet to try, waiting for the weather and the opportunity - bloody 5 and 2 roster, the weather is never good on the weekends I am available.

Keep up the good work.

Redrocks.

devocean
22-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Im in bowen mate. Our shoal channel fishing gone to shite after yasi fish there wont bite

Kdog
22-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Awesome fishing there mate, would've taken a few beers to fillet that lot!!!
We can only dream of catching fish like that down here:'(
Shame about the supporters shirt you got on though:P
Anyhow guys,bloody well done, and top report and great pics.

webby nq
22-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Awesome fishing there mate, would've taken a few beers to fillet that lot!!!
We can only dream of catching fish like that down here:'(
Shame about the supporters shirt you got on though:P
Anyhow guys,bloody well done, and top report and great pics.

K-DOG , definately not a bulldogs supporter , thats me mate Crowley but I do agree with you there and I did remind him that its the only thing that a Bulldogs shirt is good for, as a fishing rag but at least no one can see it out there!!!:P

webby nq
22-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Well done Webby. You're definately setting the standard here for Mackay.

I ship the channel too when I can, usually around Tern, but it's such a big area, that's not being too specific.

What area do you target? I have some ground between Kindemar and Sandpiper that I am yet to try, waiting for the weather and the opportunity - bloody 5 and 2 roster, the weather is never good on the weekends I am available.

Keep up the good work.

Redrocks.
Thats what sick days are for Redrocks!;D Most of me trips this year have been during the week and I think id have the shakes by now if I had to wait for a weekend oppurtunity cause they have been far and few between.
Dont really target a particular area although I tend to head east more than the north , west of Tern has a lot of ground, same between Scawfell and Parker which has produced good fish nearly everytime .Coles, Prince and Alarm reefs also have some good ground nearby (that I know of anyway) but Im sure if you scooted round every reef youd hit the jackpot so I hope you get some good weekend weather soon or maybe you should just get the flu, cough, cough.;)
So I might see you out there mate , later

Webby

Jerk n Wined
24-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes well done, Were going up next week so you have got me excited. No sure but is that a saltiga LD50 reel your using? I had just bought one and will be using it on the trip. how did it go and smooth?
Cheers

FishHunter
24-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Very nice, I tried that area on Friday but it was too lumpy for me.

hookinin
24-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Great stuff red fish in photos always looks better
Gaven

ozassassin
25-04-2011, 05:42 AM
Definitely some nice fish steaks there boys well done.

Eric

webby nq
25-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Yes well done, Were going up next week so you have got me excited. No sure but is that a saltiga LD50 reel your using? I had just bought one and will be using it on the trip. how did it go and smooth?
Cheers

Good pick up there mate but its actually a Daiwa Saltist, Pretty much the cheaper version of the Saltiga ,and there Bloody good reels . Smooth as and a quick ratio to get them fish up quick > Havnt had a drama with mine and I just keep it well oiled so all the best for next week mate!!

webby nq
25-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Very nice, I tried that area on Friday but it was too lumpy for me.
Was gonna head out last friday too but never ended up goin, the forecast was a bit iffy and Im sick of gettin smashed around but what was it like out there, fish on the chew again???

Robbo76
15-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Nice job!

I have recently moved to Mackay, i have no idea where to fish outside. I was in Cairns where the reef is fairly close. I notice the reef is a long way out here.

People told me before i moved here that you need at least a 20 footer to head out near the reef.

I hear a lot about the shipping channel, i might just have to start exploring around from the harbour ramp.

It sucks not knowing new fishing ground :)

Robert

Bear001
26-05-2011, 09:55 PM
yeah, that looks like a crap day